Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cool Refreshing Urban Idea

This article from NYTimes is about a pool idea that started out as a way to draw people to tired strip malls. This is something fun that some of Detroit's neighborhood organizations could consider.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/ar...%20pool&st=cse

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    This article from NYTimes is about a pool idea that started out as a way to draw people to tired strip malls. This is something fun that some of Detroit's neighborhood organizations could consider.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/ar...%20pool&st=cse

It's in an industrial neighborhood in Brooklyn, so it makes the Times' Art & Design section. If it were in the rural South, it would be written off as poor redneck white trash.

No, read it. The developers are going to use it in Atlanta, I think, in strip malls.

EastSider Guest

Sounds like the old Swim-mobile project around here.

Last time I looked, those swim mobiles where parked behind some Parks and Rec buildings on Jefferson, on the river side just west of the old UniRoyal plant

Why can't the city of Detroit think outside the box?
    So the City can't afford to offer the swimobiles [[insurance, staff, etc) - why not offer to lease them to churches or neighborhood non-profits for a season? Those pools have a filtering system and so much capability to add joy to the city. Why not get them out there rather than let them rot?

I never used the swimobiles, but I do remember seeing them in SW Detroit and they made so many children happy and they slept so deeply on hot summer nights after a swimobile day!

Sludgedaddy Guest

Map, It would be too big of a demand to get anyone in City Government to do something so painful as to engage in any sort of mental exercise. Bribes, free transportation and" what's in it me me?" seems to be the modus operendi of those currently in power.

Those old swim mobiles are no doubt rotting like most of everything else that was meant for the citizens of Detroit.

This year's summer is not living up to the expectation of a warm one. Should the temps increase, there's nothing like a little neighborhood anarchy that a wrench and a fire hydrant can't provide.

Or even more daring...hold an unruly mass demonstration and be treated to free break-dancing instructions via a high powered fire hose.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Why can't the city of Detroit think outside the box?
    So the City can't afford to offer the swimobiles [[insurance, staff, etc) - why not offer to lease them to churches or neighborhood non-profits for a season? Those pools have a filtering system and so much capability to add joy to the city. Why not get them out there rather than let them rot?

I never used the swimobiles, but I do remember seeing them in SW Detroit and they made so many children happy and they slept so deeply on hot summer nights after a swimobile day!
    Why can't the churches and non-profits think out of the box and do something without waiting around for the city?

If it's such a benefit, why can't somebody buy a dumpster and rent it out themselves? The owner would win from owning a small business, the city would win from the increased tax base, and all the sweaty little kids would win by cooling off.