Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Building on Kercheval and St Jean

I was wondering if anyone had any background information about a building on the corner of Kercheval and St Jean?
    It looks like it might have been an old school? I'm calling it the Mickey Mouse building - there's a small status of a mouse near the top.

Thanks in advance.

Name:  2014-02-07 16.28.24.jpg
Views: 4697
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  2014-02-07 16.28.40.jpg
Views: 4173
Size:  34.3 KB

Is that the St. Rose Hall?

I work by there and have passed that building almost every weekday for a year and 10 months. I want to say that it was occupied until as late as last summer. Before they boarded up the front door, there was a gate that locked in front of the doorway. I remember when they were moving stuff out and then the board went up. Then not too long after, the lone window on the back of the building was smashed and then broken off. Looks like a nice brick building.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Is that the St. Rose Hall?
    That was the St. Rose Social Hall.

Welcome, CityChick!!!

As others have said, that was St. Rose Hall. It was the social hall for St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic church the stood a block away at Kercheval and Beniteau. The school building across Kercheval used to be St. Rose High. My father went to elementary school for a while around the corner at the Lilibridge School and his grandmother lived right across the street.

Nice architecture. What is the little mouse icon about? Was it part of the original design?
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-12-14 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    As others have said, that was St. Rose Hall. It was the social hall for St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic church the stood a block away at Kercheval and Beniteau. The school building across Kercheval used to be St. Rose High. My father went to elementary school for a while around the corner at the Lilibridge School and his grandmother lived right across the street.
    My parents attended St. Rose of Lima High School. Class of '51. Dad lived at 1226 St. Jean in the first block south of Jefferson. Mom lived at 1235 Meadowbrook in the first block south of Jefferson. Mom still occasionally gets together with St. Rose classmates.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Nice architecture. What is the little mouse icon about? Was it part of the original design?
    I don't think so. I'm surprised you didn't recognize Mickey!

Name:  Mickey Mouse Oscar.JPG
Views: 4572
Size:  19.9 KB

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20105/lot/1230/

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Name:  Mickey Mouse Oscar.JPG
Views: 4572
Size:  19.9 KB

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20105/lot/1230/
    Whats the story with it's placement on this building? Seems kinda random.

I know it's Mickey. I was just tryna see how he got there ......

I know it's Mickey. I was just tryna see how he got there ......
    You called him a "little mouse icon"....... GOOD question, though, and WHY is he there?. Where are the experts here?????

^^^ Hah! Oh the horror, I messed up a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by citychick View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any background information about a building on the corner of Kercheval and St Jean?
    It looks like it might have been an old school? I'm calling it the Mickey Mouse building - there's a small status of a mouse near the top.

Thanks in advance.

Name:  2014-02-07 16.28.24.jpg
Views: 4697
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  2014-02-07 16.28.40.jpg
Views: 4173
Size:  34.3 KB
    There has to be some Disney correlation with this building. Last year at this time I went into the lot to the side of the the building and saw six wood panels [[6x4) of two different Disney attractions; 1. Epcot Center and 2. a Disney China town.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Whats the story with it's placement on this building? Seems kinda random.
    I don't think it's random, in fact it looks thought out to me. @ the pinnacle, squarely in the middle, over the entrance. "This is Mickey's house" kind of look. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    There has to be some Disney correlation with this building. Last year at this time I went into the lot to the side of the the building and saw six wood panels [[6x4) of two different Disney attractions; 1. Epcot Center and 2. a Disney China town.
    The mystery grows..........

^^^ Hah! Oh the horror, I messed up a bit!
    I didn't know that. Sorry....

I don't think it's random, in fact it looks thought out to me. @ the pinnacle, squarely in the middle, over the entrance. "This is Mickey's house" kind of look. IMO
    I meant random in that it's a Mickey Mouse "house" in Detroit. Clearly the placement of the statute is intentional...

Maybe it's last incarnation was a daycare or pre school?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I meant random in that it's a Mickey Mouse "house" in Detroit. Clearly the placement of the statute is intentional...

Maybe it's last incarnation was a daycare or pre school?
    I was thinking along those lines too. It wouldn't explain the "six wood panels [[6x4) of two different Disney attractions", though.

Thanks everyone - I knew I would find the answer here.

Perhaps it was used as part of a movie shoot at some time in the last few years? That bizarre mouse sculpture is certainly a pretty recent add-on. If you look closely at it on streetview you'll see that it is secured to the building with a cable and set up to be lighted.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-20-14 at 02:25 AM.