Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Beatles in Detroit +50 years

I watched the show on CBS Sunday night about the Beatles 50th anniversary of their first US performance at the Ed Sullivan Theater.

Anyone here attend their Detroit concerts in 1964 or 1966?

[[If this has been discussed before, my apologies...)

I think you will find a lot of folks who post here were either too young or not born yet.

I grew up listening to the Beatles. Most likely I was not even born for both of these tours [[1964 definitely, 1966 is is a 0.75 probability I was not around). Only seen Paul in the Flowers in the Dirt tour.

My oldest sister saw them @ Olympia in '64. Got tickets from a neighbor who worked there. She swears to this day she never heard one thing but screaming. She also mentioned their performance was quite short, especially from a modern perspective.

It's really kind of amazing that 50 years on, Paul can still put on a show. Some decent performances by others also, including Stevie Wonder. Got to give props to Grohl and Lynne for bringing "Hey Bulldog" out of the closet.John's been gone over 33 years now....amazing.

Anyone know who the other guitarist was that was playing along with Frampton in the house band [[not Walsh or Lynne) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    My oldest sister saw them @ Olympia in '64. Got tickets from a neighbor who worked there. She swears to this day she never heard one thing but screaming. She also mentioned their performance was quite short, especially from a modern perspective.

It's really kind of amazing that 50 years on, Paul can still put on a show. Some decent performances by others also, including Stevie Wonder. Got to give props to Grohl and Lynne for bringing "Hey Bulldog" out of the closet.John's been gone over 33 years now....amazing.

Anyone know who the other guitarist was that was playing along with Frampton in the house band [[not Walsh or Lynne) ?
    Steve Lukather

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Lukather

Full band:

Music Director/Bass - Don Was

House Band
    Kenny Aronoff - Drums
    Peter Frampton - Guitar
    Rami Jaffe - Organ
    Steve Lukather - Guitar
    Greg Phillinganes - Keys/Piano
    Chris Caswell - Keys
    Lenny Castro - Percussion

Horns
    Larry Hall - Trumpet
    Nick Lane - Trombone
    Larry Williams - Sax/WW

BG Vocals
    Carmel Echols
    Judith Hill
    Kari Kimmel

Default Beatles

Although I never saw the Beatles live in concert, I was at Olympia Stadium on May 7, 1976 to see Paul McCartney & Wings. As I recall, Paul McCartney put on a great show!!! Did anyone else attend the concert?

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    My oldest sister saw them @ Olympia in '64. Got tickets from a neighbor who worked there. She swears to this day she never heard one thing but screaming.

?
    Your sister is right, I was there with couple friends, we were pissed. The girls screaming drowned out almost everything. You could pick up a bass or beat now and then, that was it. I think it cost me $3-maybe 4.....fancy that now.

I think most tickets for the first Beatles concerts were $4.00.

Anyone catch the show on PBS later about George Martin? That was good too, especially the recording of Peter Sellers talking the record Money Can't Buy Me Love, at least I think it was Peter Sellers

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I think you will find a lot of folks who post here were either too young or not born yet.

I grew up listening to the Beatles. Most likely I was not even born for both of these tours [[1964 definitely, 1966 is is a 0.75 probability I was not around). Only seen Paul in the Flowers in the Dirt tour.
    Same here. I saw him at the Palace in March, 1990. That's the closest I ever got.
    Although, I had a co-worker who saw them in 1964. She didn't say too much about it other than it was overcrowded.

Default She loves you, yeah yeah yeah

Last night i said these words to my girl...
    I know you never even try girl
    Come on [[come on), come on [[come on)
    Please, please me oh yeah, like I please you
    Name:  Beatles 1964.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  40.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Last night i said these words to my girl...
    I know you never even try girl
    Please, please me oh yeah, like I please you
    Name:  Beatles 1964.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  40.6 KB
    Is that yours? VERY cool souvenir if it is. But $3???? That's a LOT of money to see those guys.

Between Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and these obnoxious, self-absorbed Baby Boomer 50 year anniversaries I'm actually really glad to be a Gen-Xer.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Between Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and these obnoxious, self-absorbed Baby Boomer 50 year anniversaries I'm actually really glad to be a Gen-Xer.
    Admit it, you're sorry you missed "twerking"...

When the Beatles come to Detroit in 1964. They stayed at the Whittier Hotel. They the played at Olympia Stadium. After they they went on their way to invade another American city with their Brit-Rock.

I have two friends who saw them at Olympia. Saw--they didn't hear a note, just the sound of girls screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Admit it, you're sorry you missed "twerking"...
    It's been around awhile, only it was black people doing it and it was called "freak dancing". Now white people have stolen it, renamed it and mainstreamed it.
    And I hope 50 years from now hardly anybody remembers who Miley Cyrus is.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    It's been around awhile, only it was black people doing it and it was called "freak dancing". Now white people have stolen it, renamed it and mainstreamed it.
    And I hope 50 years from now hardly anybody remembers who Miley Cyrus is.
    Are you referring to the "freaky deaky"? I remember when that was in vogue. I don't think anyone will remember Miley Cyrus 5 years from now. From what little I've seen, she seems to be all flash and little substance. I'm not very up on pop culture. Was she once named "Hanna Montana"?

Quote Originally Posted by 9606 Prest View Post
    Although I never saw the Beatles live in concert, I was at Olympia Stadium on May 7, 1976 to see Paul McCartney & Wings. As I recall, Paul McCartney put on a great show!!! Did anyone else attend the concert?
    I was there the next night, which was equally fine.

I also saw George Harrison at Olympia in 1974 which was mostly terrible. He didn't go on until around midnight, was high as a kite, and let Billy Preston take over for a lot of the show [[which was by far the best part).

2 of my cousins went to see the Beatles in '66, but I was still way too young. By '66 the Beatles were a little less popular in Detroit, and the arena wasn't quite sold out. They said there were 4 opening acts, and then the Beatles played about 20 minutes. They were not very impressed then, but of course now it is very cool to say you were there.

I was more excited about the Sex Pistols coming to America.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I was more excited about the Sex Pistols coming to America.
    Ahhh, but the Pistols never played Detroit...

Did see PiL at the Motor City Roller Rink in Warren in 1980 though.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post

That was a fun place. I missed the PiL show, but saw several other bands there.

I did see John Lennon and Yoko Ono at the John Sinclair Freedom Rally atCrisler Arena in Ann Arbor in December of 1971. John was ok, Yoko was terrible, but Stevie Wonder and Bob Seger were FABULOUS!

Default Billboard Top 100 chart on April 4, 1964

The Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Top 100 on April 4, 1964.

In an achievement unlikely to ever be equalled, for the week of April 4th,1964, the Beatles occupied the top five positions of the Billboard Top 100 chart:
    1: Can't Buy Me Love [[Capitol)
    2: Twist And Shout [[Tollie)
    3: She Loves You [[Swan)
    4: I Want To Hold Your Hand [[Capitol)
    5: Please Please Me [[Vee Jay)
    They also had an additional 7 songs on the top 100 chart:

31: Saw Her Standing There [[Capitol)
    41: From Me To You [[Vee Jay)
    46: Do You Want To Know A Secret [[Vee Jay)
    58: All My Loving [[Capitol)
    65: You Can't Do That [[Capitol)
    68: Roll Over Beethoven [[Capitol)
    79: Thank You Girl [[Vee Jay)
    Name:  Beatles 4-4-1964.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  50.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I did see John Lennon and Yoko Ono at the John Sinclair Freedom Rally atCrisler Arena in Ann Arbor in December of 1971. John was ok, Yoko was terrible, but Stevie Wonder and Bob Seger were FABULOUS!
    You blaspheme.....Be upstanding for the 5th Beatle....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOW6cBSfUIE

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post

I was planning a road trip to see them when they abruptly broke up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast