Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default I never knew Brightmoor was a '"thriving middle class neighborhood"

Do these national writers actually do any research or it is now required that everyone write a quick article about Detroit.

http://news.yahoo.com/detroit-bankru...165327100.html

There's also this gem, "In Midtown, just blocks from the boarded up mansions of historic Brush Park, there is a new Whole Foods store — the first new grocery store to open in the inner city in decades.

They mean the first new grocery store to open in that two block radius in six months or so. Easy mistake.

Always Brewing Detroit in Rosedale Park is a great place to study and relax. Great coffee. But I had to laugh at it being described as on a "gritty stretch of Grand River." The author obviously has never seen "gritty" before.

So the area that had biker bars was thriving middle class and the street that had the Pickwick House [[Kreigers???, it has been a long time) was gritty Brightmoor was nice when I use to go to the Irving. I believe I saw "The Blue Max" there. Man I am getting old. But it was still working class. Vio's Pizza was a nice treat, though. Rosedale Park is still kept up. My aunts old home on Gainesborough off of Warwick look A1. Brightmoor, on the other hand, is rough looking to say the least.

As a writer, I can tell you that isn't easy. I'd like to see you learn the history of areas you've never researched before, find intriguing people to interview, and write a polished article about it all in the span of maybe 2-3 days - if you're lucky - all while juggling a myriad of other tasks. Because that's how it works nowadays. People want a constant stream of FREE content, and then they want to complain constantly about small factual errors.

Well, maybe if you'd actually paid for content once in a while, there'd be editors to pour over this stuff before it's published, and writers would have enough time to call people three or four times to make sure they didn't misspeak. But until then - oh well.

Fact is, the press is broken and kvetching about the writers isn't going to solve it. When you stopped taking the paper and figured your $30 internet connection entitled you to ALL THE MEDIA, this is what you brought on yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    So the area that had biker bars was thriving middle class and the street that had the Pickwick House [[Kreigers???, it has been a long time) was gritty Brightmoor was nice when I use to go to the Irving. I believe I saw "The Blue Max" there. Man I am getting old. But it was still working class. Vio's Pizza was a nice treat, though. Rosedale Park is still kept up. My aunts old home on Gainesborough off of Warwick look A1. Brightmoor, on the other hand, is rough looking to say the least.

Can't forget Scotty's! I never remember it being a bustling middle class neighborhood. It was always shotgun shacks or basic box homes on slabs.

Growing up a lot of kids from my high school lived there. I grew up down the street from Cody.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Can't forget Scotty's! I never remember it being a bustling middle class neighborhood. It was always shotgun shacks or basic box homes on slabs.

Growing up a lot of kids from my high school lived there. I grew up down the street from Cody.
    I know somebody who grew up on Dolphin back in the 60's. He said it was a tough neighborhood back then.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I know somebody who grew up on Dolphin back in the 60's. He said it was a tough neighborhood back then.
    I knew someone on Dolphin too. His Uncle ended up owning Scotty's and a lot of his family works there.

I never knew that part of Dolphin not to be rough.

I was at the Three Dog Night concert down at the Riverwalk in 2011, the bass player [[I think) was from Detroit. They mentioned it to the crowd and mentioned his street, and I'm pretty sure it was Dolphin.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    I was at the Three Dog Night concert down at the Riverwalk in 2011, the bass player [[I think) was from Detroit. They mentioned it to the crowd and mentioned his street, and I'm pretty sure it was Dolphin.
    I was at that concert behind the Ren Cen. That was a really great night.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I was at that concert behind the Ren Cen. That was a really great night.
    Did they sing Joy to the World? I can remember back in the good old days when they would play that at the Holden Ampatheatre and the chimps would go crazy jumping around, driving mini-bikes and go carts in circles....

I can also remember in about 3rd grade the Nuns took us to church to practice for the mass we were to host the next day. They said we were going to sing Joy to the World and all the kids started singing about Jeremiah the Bullfrog drinking wine. The nuns were not happy.

Did they sing Joy to the World? I can remember back in the good old days when they would play that at the Holden Ampatheatre and the chimps would go crazy jumping around, driving mini-bikes and go carts in circles....

I can also remember in about 3rd grade the Nuns took us to church to practice for the mass we were to host the next day. They said we were going to sing Joy to the World and all the kids started singing about Jeremiah the Bullfrog drinking wine. The nuns were not happy.
    Saw Three Dog Night @ the Grande a while back. Do they still do the chimp shows @ the Detroit Zoo? Your post brings back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    So the area that had biker bars was thriving middle class and the street that had the Pickwick House [[Kreigers???, it has been a long time) was gritty
    While certainly Rosedale Park is a million times nicer than Brightmoor, a visiting journalist traveling down Grand River will not be able to tell the difference. The beauty in Rosedale is in the attractive side-street residential areas; the commercial strip along Grand River looks pretty similar to the blighted Grand River strip everywhere in Detroit, and is filled with fast-food restaurants, check-cashing stores, dollar stores, and vacant lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Saw Three Dog Night @ the Grande a while back. Do they still do the chimp shows @ the Detroit Zoo? Your post brings back memories.
    Nah the liberal do-gooders ruined it 20+ years ago and replaced the Holden exhibit and amphitheater with something that is less cruel for the gorillas. The new exhibit is called the Great Apes of Harrambee.

No more silverbacks sitting in cages that look like Cody High's classrooms throwing poop at visitors.This is what it looks like now: http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP..._Michigan.html

Nah the liberal do-gooders ruined it 20+ years ago and replaced the Holden exhibit and amphitheater with something that is less cruel for the gorillas. The new exhibit is called the Great Apes of Harrambee.

No more silverbacks sitting in cages that look like Cody High's classrooms throwing poop at visitors.This is what it looks like now: http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP..._Michigan.html
    Man, I'm belly-laughing @ work......

Y'know, you crybabies whine, bitch, wring your hands, and flap your arms in a wild frenzy of self-righteous indignation each & every time any writer, from anywhere, gets any part of anything factually incorrect-- or even not suited to your preferences, semantically speaking-- but Nain Rouge, in a post that's about 12 up from this one, gave you all the Straight Shot, the Real Deal, about why that stuff happens [[and will likely happen with increasing frequency,) and-- while someone else's later reference to Three Dog Night was clearly a big hit-- not one of you replied to that post or even so much as acknowledged having seen it.
    If Nain Rouge had mistakenly referred to an "avenue" as a "street," I'll bet the cat o' nine-tails would have come out, and quickly, too.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    As a writer, I can tell you that isn't easy. I'd like to see you learn the history of areas you've never researched before, find intriguing people to interview, and write a polished article about it all in the span of maybe 2-3 days - if you're lucky - all while juggling a myriad of other tasks. Because that's how it works nowadays. People want a constant stream of FREE content, and then they want to complain constantly about small factual errors.

Well, maybe if you'd actually paid for content once in a while, there'd be editors to pour over this stuff before it's published, and writers would have enough time to call people three or four times to make sure they didn't misspeak. But until then - oh well.

Fact is, the press is broken and kvetching about the writers isn't going to solve it. When you stopped taking the paper and figured your $30 internet connection entitled you to ALL THE MEDIA, this is what you brought on yourselves.
    I definitely understand where you're coming from. It is, in the grand scheme of the world, a relatively small error.

However a quick google search [[if I had never heard of something as strange-sounding as 'Brightmoor' I'd blow up google real quick) gave me a history of Brightmoor in seconds that gave me no impression that Brightmoor was ever middle class.

While you journalists [[or whatever you are) do certainly have to deal with the internet as a medium, you also have the most powerful research tool ever conceived at your fingertips as well. Fact checking is far more easy than ever in human history. We take it for granted, but it is certainly a wonder of the world unheard of two decades ago.

I still pay for the Free Press. Why? Certainly not the quality, I just like having something to hold. I stare at a computer at work all day, why would I want to on Sunday morning?

However the trend for the past decade or so was to make a shittier paper, period. They're busy paying "human interest" idiots like Rochelle Riley and that liar Mitch Albom to write shmaltzy nonsense that pay real writers or for investigative journalism. People will pay for a product if it is worth it, if there is quality. The papers can blame the internet all they want but the fact of the matter is the Free Press isn't worthy of lining a birdcage anymore. Why should people pay to read lies from a smarmy author or a section entitled "MiBestLife." I mean, what the fuck is that even supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Y'know, you crybabies whine, bitch, wring your hands, and flap your arms in a wild frenzy of self-righteous indignation each & every time any writer, from anywhere, gets any part of anything factually incorrect-- or even not suited to your preferences, semantically speaking-- but Nain Rouge, in a post that's about 12 up from this one, gave you all the Straight Shot, the Real Deal, about why that stuff happens [[and will likely happen with increasing frequency,) and-- while someone else's later reference to Three Dog Night was clearly a big hit-- not one of you replied to that post or even so much as acknowledged having seen it.
    If Nain Rouge had mistakenly referred to an "avenue" as a "street," I'll bet the cat o' nine-tails would have come out, and quickly, too.
    Yes, it's everyone else's fault that newspapers are doing a bad job. Of course.

Thank you Poobert.

Seriously, drives me nuts every time I see someone ask an inane question that can be looked up in seconds. It's akin to asking what 2+2 is while physically holding a damn calculator.

Sorry, not buying the "too busy to fact check BS". Most people are too busy because they are too busy telling everyone on Facebook how busy they are.

Brave New World...