Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "Welcome to Detroit" signs?

This may be a dumb question, but are there any "Welcome to Detroit" signs? I was idly thinking about it, but couldn't recall any -- certainly not any like the signs you see in Dearborn or Ferndale. Seems like when I'm leaving the city, I always see those END DETROIT SPEED CONTROL signs, but not much the other way. Any help?

I thought I saw a bullet-riddled one on Eastbound I-94 by the airport, back when the Super Bowl was here.

sticking up from a bunch of overgrown grass and weeds there is such a sign somewhere around jeffries and virgil street, on the freeway embankment, on the detroit/redford border. pretty sure it even says "welcome to". it's really something. it is impressive. ah yes, detroit-style.

Must be an east side thing. There aren't a lack of them on the west side.

There is one on the southbound I-75 service drive just below 8 Mile ...it just says "Detroit est. 1701" I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by mpow View Post
    Nice reminds me of this video, which I saw on Tosh.0 last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Make sure to watch to the end

Thered is also one on SB Woodward and 8 Mile that says: Welcome to Detroit "The Rennaissance City" Founded 1701

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Must be an east side thing. There aren't a lack of them on the west side.
    There's one on 8 Mile/Gratiot, next to the DD/BR. I also recall seeing one on 8 Mile/Van Dyke and 8 Mile/Kelly.

Come to think of it, there pretty much at the foot of all borders on the east side [[except maybe Mack, Charlevoix, Kercheval and Jefferson).

Perhaps you need to look harder.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-21-09 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Thered is also one on SB Woodward and 8 Mile that says: Welcome to Detroit "The Rennaissance City" Founded 1701
    That's it, that's what the one on the Chrysler service drive just south of 8 Mile looks like.

I believe there is one on Cadieux, visible when going North from Grosse Pointe.
    www.AndrewLinnForDetroit.com

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I thought I saw a bullet-riddled one on Eastbound I-94 by the airport, back when the Super Bowl was here.
    There is one just within the city border on I-94 that says "Welcome to Detroit" with a separate sign below it that says "Home of Super Bowl XL" [[as if telling a visitor to Detroit that the Super Bowl was once held here is going to positively influence their visit! ).

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    There used to be one of these at Warren and Mack- someone ran it down a while back and it got replaced by a normal "city limits" sign.

Coming north on I-75 the gas tanks from the Rouge Plant welcome you to Detroit.

Bearinabox Guest

My favorite "Welcome to Detroit" sign is on the eastbound Jeffries at Telegraph. It says "Detroit City Limit: An Automation Alley County." Huh?