Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pistons Head Coach Mo Cheeks Fired

Good riddance! He's better off coaching a middle school basketball team.

Even though I don't think Cheeks is a good coach, Gores should have fired Dumars instead. Maybe they can now hire Lionel Hollins, who should have been hired in the first place.

While I think he was in over his head and clearly not leading the team to many wins, I hope they have a good replacement in mind. No sense it firing Cheeks to hire someone else who won't improve the team. As much as I hate to say it, because I have loved him since I was a kid, it might be time for Joe Dumars to go, too. The Pistons have been too mediocre to poor for too long. For a new coach, I would recommend Kliff Kingsbury.

It's okay to fire the coach at this point in the season under normal circumstances but when your GM has proven he can't hire coaches and is, or should be, on a very short leash it's a real problem. You can only promote an assistant to interim for the rest of the season until you decide if you're bringing in a new GM who will want his own guy.
    The Pistons clearly need to trade for a small forward. The Raptors' new GM got rid of Rudy Gay, their highest paid player, for a couple of bench pieces that fit and suddenly turned their entire season around. Clearly Gores pressured Dumars to go out and make a big signing but that doesn't mean Dumars should have caved and just grabbed Smith, knowing they had nobody on the team who could shoot from outside. It's time to find a new GM.

Really kind of shocking. I have no idea who they should hire but what the firing tells me is Gores means business.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Really kind of shocking. I have no idea who they should hire but what the firing tells me is Gores means business.
    I am not sure it's shocking, but otherwise agreed. It must be kind of odd when super-successful businessmen buy a sports franchise, and suddenly they really don't have the ability to control outcomes like they did in their prior endeavors. I hope he gets them turned around. I'm not a huge NBA fan, but of course I want to see the Pistons be good again. And I would love to see them join the Red Wings downtown. That is why I still wish Ilitch had bought the team.

too bad that Mr. Cheeks is being thrown under a bus.. I'm still unsold on a player culture that is prone to reject coaches they "don't like", and they still don't win games.. The team needs someone who can enforce discipline and who can stress that diva attitudes keep you out of the W column..
    I'm sure Joe D is personable, and I hope he continues to have a relationship with Detroit youth basketball, but... Maybe his tenure is at an end.
    At this point, if Mr. Gores is serious about "playoffs or die", he needs to be willing to make some trades and [[over)spend to steal some high profile free agents after the playoffs are over. Fan culture here needs to get over the narrative of "we're a blue collar team"-- please-- of millionaires, and the boss is a billionaire. and somehow i doubt that 90% of the in-stadium audience are factory line workers.. not with the ticket costs what they are today.

I'm still unsold on a player culture that is prone to reject coaches they "don't like"

Hyperstyles, that is precisely why I prefer college basketball. You watch a group of guys who play as a team and obey their coach. I hate the NBA parade of prima donnas. The owners [[not saying this is true of Gores yet; its too soon) cave into their highly paid brats rather than rein them in. Chuck Daly would not have tolerated it. Might also be the reason some college coaches [[I'm thinking Tom Izzo) steer clear of the NBA: they want to coach basketball, not navigate bullshit.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; February-09-14 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I'm still unsold on a player culture that is prone to reject coaches they "don't like"

Hyperstyles, that is precisely why I prefer college basketball. You watch a group of guys who play as a team and obey their coach. I hate the NBA parade of prima donnas. The owners [[not saying this is true of Gores yet; its too soon) cave into their highly paid brats rather than rein them in. Chuck Daly would not have tolerated it. Might also be the reason some college coaches [[I'm thinking Tom Izzo) steer clear of the NBA: they want to coach basketball, not navigate bullshit.
    Not all NBA teams are like that, and besides, there are prima donnas in every sport.

Here's a good read about our Pistons.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ta...eaded-monster/

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Not all NBA teams are like that, and besides, there are prima donnas in every sport.
    I know, but much more so than in college. When watching NBA action I think it's five separate guys vs. the other side. College ball looks like a team sport. In addition to on-court action, the players on the bench in college are intently following the game, cheering on their team. In the NBA the guys on the bench so often seem detached.

Lastly, I will [[again) state my extreme displeasure with the length of the "shorts" in the NBA. They are almost long pants now. Handsome or ugly, most NBA players have awesome legs. It's a crime to cover them up.

Avery Johnson as coach

Can't hurt, give Laimbeer a shot at GM.....rock the boat!

I know, but much more so than in college. When watching NBA action I think it's five separate guys vs. the other side. College ball looks like a team sport. In addition to on-court action, the players on the bench in college are intently following the game, cheering on their team. In the NBA the guys on the bench so often seem detached.

Lastly, I will [[again) state my extreme displeasure with the length of the "shorts" in the NBA. They are almost long pants now. Handsome or ugly, most NBA players have awesome legs. It's a crime to cover them up.
    Who wants to see the "Nuthugging" shorts of the 80"s? I surely don't !!

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Avery Johnson as coach
    He's no better, been fired twice already. Lionel Hollins is the best candidate, but he's going to cost them.

GUSHI Guest

Basker ball is boring to watch until the playsoffs, same goes for hockey, half the league makes it in. Football and baseball are alot more interesting sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Who wants to see the "Nuthugging" shorts of the 80"s? I surely don't !!
    Halfway down the thigh keeps the nuts totally hidden, while showing off most of the guys gorgeous gams. Approximately the length of soccer shorts. I mean really, what woud straight guys think if they made Anna Kournikova play tennis in long pants? I would be outraged on behalf of the hetero population...

Halfway down the thigh keeps the nuts totally hidden, while showing off most of the guys gorgeous gams. Approximately the length of soccer shorts. I mean really, what woud straight guys think if they made Anna Kournikova play tennis in long pants? I would be outraged on behalf of the hetero population...
    I agree with you about Anna and love watching Serena Williams bounce around in her short skirt, but I don't want to see no man wearing short shorts. You can attribute the long style shorts to the "Fab Five". They started the trend.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Basker ball is boring to watch until the playsoffs, same goes for hockey, half the league makes it in. Football and baseball are alot more interesting sports.
    That's your opinion. Ever use spell checker BTW?

Wow this new guy Loyer sure is hyper running up and down the sidelines yelling the entire game. Total opposite of Cheeks. Pistons looked good beating the Spurs last night because they kept only 2 of the 3 bigs on the floor at one time. Problem is all 3 see themselves as starters, wanting starting $ and minutes, so one of them, probably Monroe, has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Wow this new guy Loyer sure is hyper running up and down the sidelines yelling the entire game. Total opposite of Cheeks. Pistons looked good beating the Spurs last night because they kept only 2 of the 3 bigs on the floor at one time. Problem is all 3 see themselves as starters, wanting starting $ and minutes, so one of them, probably Monroe, has to go.
    I'd hate for it to be Monroe, but he might be the odd man out, since Joe signed Smith to that ridiculous deal, he's basically un-moveable. They need a scoring wing man who can command double-teams and get his own shot in the worst way. Did you notice how free flowing the offense was with 2 of the bigs on the floor together instead of all 3? It eliminates spacing issues when they are on the floor at the same time. Drummond is going to be a monster.

GUSHI Guest

Spell check, pssssss who needs it,

Dave Bing for head coach!

Mr. Bing might make a better candidate for some kind of community relations/charity role for the team. Youth basketball outreach, something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast