Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another child drowns

It seems like you get this story or a version of it every summer at least two or three times. What a shame, you really have to feel for the boys family. I have always felt that learning to swim is a life skill that everyone should have. I made sure my kids had enough swim lessions so that they could at least save themselves in a tight situation and that they don't have an unreasonable fear of the water. Schools used to teach swimming however I believe that is no longer the case. On a hot day it doesn't matter to some kids whether they know how to swim or not, they want to get in the water. I would really like to see it easier for kids to learn how to swim.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009072...friend-in-pool

Just yesterday I contacted three different locations to sign my son up for swim lessons, but all classes were full for beginners. So, I just have to continue being very concious of his actions while at the pool. I was really disappointed. Last summer he had no desire to learn, now that we have a pool, he always wants to get into the shallow section.

“She let them in the pool, because that’s the kind of person she is,” Janigan said, adding that her neighbor didn’t know the children couldn’t swim."

Beyond swimming skills, some critical thinking skills would have come in handy in this situation.
    None of them knew how to swim? Talk about a recipe for disaster.

As much as I would've liked to have a pool when my kids were growing up, it is a huge responsibilty and liability as well. You should never just "let" some kids in to use your pool without a serious discussion with their parent regarding their ability. When my kids were guests in neighbors pools , the pool owners rules were that they were not allowed unless I was there to supervise them.

I couldn't figure out what was going on from the way that story was written; nevertheless, what the heck was the neighbor doing taking a nap when there were kids in her pool? You have to always be out there when young kids are in the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    I couldn't figure out what was going on from the way that story was written...
    This same person had an article in yesterdays online Freep that was so poorly written it had my head spinning. Does the online edition have people who proof read this stuff? Yesterdays article looked like it was written by a grade school kid.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    As much as I would've liked to have a pool when my kids were growing up, it is a huge responsibilty and liability as well. You should never just "let" some kids in to use your pool without a serious discussion with their parent regarding their ability. When my kids were guests in neighbors pools , the pool owners rules were that they were not allowed unless I was there to supervise them.
    Yes, especially liability. It seems that any public place schools, hotels etc. that can't have a certified lifeguard on duty all of the time would rather not have the hassle of a swimming pool. I know they post signs but I wouldn't believe that would stop somebody from suing the pool owners if a accident were to happen.

Even your neighbors knew to take that burden off them by making you supervise your kids in their pool.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    This same person had an article in yesterdays online Freep that was so poorly written it had my head spinning. Does the online edition have people who proof read this stuff? Yesterdays article looked like it was written by a grade school kid.
    Maybe a summer intern wrote it ! It does seem like the online edition is more poorly written and edited than the dead tree version.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Maybe a summer intern wrote it ! It does seem like the online edition is more poorly written and edited than the dead tree version.
    Even the printed versions lately have blatant grammatical errors and screaming typos. I guess they can't afford to pay proof readers or line editors anymore.

In Phoenix all pools are required to be surrounded by child-proof fences because of so many drownings like this.

my 13 and 15 year old kids are not allowed in the pool if myself or hubby are not home and especially if they have friends over. my pool, my rule, my ass......i don't care how pissed they get.

I feel bad for the boy dying but I'm angry. I'm angry because the boy was 19 years old. He should have known better. He did not have to die because if he did not know how to swim, he or the little ones had no reason to go into the pool. This is a lose-lose for everyone involved. The owner of the house where the pool is located should have probe her young guests to see if they could swim now she may face a possible wrongful death lawsuit from the boy's mother. The little boys will be haunted seeing the 19 year old dying in front of them and the mother and father of this 19 year old will never know how this young man might had turned out. This is very sad and yes I'm still angry.

bizarre.. sad.. blessings to the family..
    unfortunately, this is all too common especially in african-american families.. lack of urban swimming outlets is a major factor.. cultural fears from elders about swimming don't help..

diver1369 Guest

There are too many public pools available in Detroit, either through Parks and Rec. or in the high schools, for any child not to have some basic swimming skills. Perhaps it should be a requirement of a public education that a child have to learn how to swim.

I wouldn't be surprised if the homeowner of the pool is sued for allowing the children to use her pool. Because of his age, I don't know that Mr. Vinson has a case. However, allowing the children who couldn't swim access to her pool created a situation where the young man lost his life trying to rescue them.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the homeowner of the pool is sued for allowing the children to use her pool. Because of his age, I don't know that Mr. Vinson has a case. However, allowing the children who couldn't swim access to her pool created a situation where the young man lost his life trying to rescue them.
    Thanks to our insane laws, the homeowner could be sue for wrongful death because the nice lady who allowed the boys to use her pool should have inquired if the boys could swim.

Naturally, you would assume that if someone wants to use the pool, they know how to swim and the homeowner went by this assumption. Seeing the 19 year old probably assured her that he would be responsible for watching for the young ones while they were in the pool, but he could not swim either.

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    It seems like you get this story or a version of it every summer at least two or three times. What a shame, you really have to feel for the boys family. I have always felt that learning to swim is a life skill that everyone should have. I made sure my kids had enough swim lessions so that they could at least save themselves in a tight situation and that they don't have an unreasonable fear of the water. Schools used to teach swimming however I believe that is no longer the case. On a hot day it doesn't matter to some kids whether they know how to swim or not, they want to get in the water. I would really like to see it easier for kids to learn how to swim.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009072...friend-in-pool
    the schools cant teach the kids how to add...how are tehy going to teach them to swim.

Whenever I hear about a child drowning anywhere in the Metro, I have to admit, it always seems like it's a city child. If someone added up all the drowning deaths, it seems like it would be a good thing to add to a list of goals, to have every Detroit child be able to float, swim and not panic in water. There are so many chances for children to get into trouble with water, it should be required, like drivers' training...

My neighbor and I used to take our small kids [[three total) to the beach. We never, ever, had a good time because we were watching the kids 100% of the time. Other parents would be reading their paperbacks or preparing food, and it made us crazy. The lifeguards seemed attentive but we never expected them to know where any person went under the water, if a person disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown diva View Post
    the schools cant teach the kids how to add...how are tehy going to teach them to swim.
    Just like another poster stated the schools can teach driver ed, they should be able to teach basic swimming skills. Plus I think you overstate your case about not teaching kids to add. The vast majority of Detroit kids are literate due in large part to the schools, now if they are at grade level, thats something to be debated.

Three years of Phys Ed was required when I attended DPS High School back in the 70's. At least one of those years, you had to take swimming and not only pass, but be able to pull another classmate up from the bottom of the 8 ft deep pool. Is this no longer a requirement? Perhaps some form of swimming or other water ready class should be required in elementary school also.

And before anyone jumps on my post, I know, I know, where is the money going to come from for this. But my basic question is what are the current Phys Ed requirements if anyone here knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    Three years of Phys Ed was required when I attended DPS High School back in the 70's. At least one of those years, you had to take swimming and not only pass, but be able to pull another classmate up from the bottom of the 8 ft deep pool. Is this no longer a requirement? Perhaps some form of swimming or other water ready class should be required in elementary school also.

And before anyone jumps on my post, I know, I know, where is the money going to come from for this. But my basic question is what are the current Phys Ed requirements if anyone here knows.
    When I was in high school back in the late 80's, I took swimming as part of PE. I believed it was a requirement back then but my sister told me that she didn't take it and hence she can't swim.[[I was shocked because I always believed she could) I suppose you just don't know a person as well as you think. Nevertheless, swimming should be a requirement when taking PE. I remember I had to earn the right to swim in the deep end and that I had to tread water for five minutes to pass the course. DPS need to insist that students take swimming as part of their PE requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    When I was in high school back in the late 80's, I took swimming as part of PE. I believed it was a requirement back then but my sister told me that she didn't take it and hence she can't swim.[[I was shocked because I always believed she could) I suppose you just don't know a person as well as you think. Nevertheless, swimming should be a requirement when taking PE. I remember I had to earn the right to swim in the deep end and that I had to tread water for five minutes to pass the course. DPS need to insist that students take swimming as part of their PE requirements.
    Honest question are there any PE requirements nowdays? Budgets have gutted PE in the schools so bad I just wonder what is the state of PE in the schools.