Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Anyone had a car break in at the Packard Plant while exploring?

I was working with a video crew last year [[Drugs Inc. Detroit) and we parked their rental van in the often used abandoned grocery store lot. We were about to leave the car unattended to explore the Packard when a 50ish white guy rode up on his bike and claimed he worked with another film crew also filming at the Packard that day. The man warned us that we should be on the lookout for a guy asking for money to protect their car. If you dont pay said man you come back to a broken window and empty car. This evening I ran into a friend online who met and photographed this guy and is pretty sure he is actually the hustler/thief. Looking at the pic my friend sent me this is the guy.
    I have his pic but Im not going to post it publicly while claiming he is this thief because I cannot be sure.
    If anyone has anything similar I'd like to hear.

Im sorry if that was confusing, it is confusing.

=== I hope the gentleman from Peru/Spain can actually get momentum going in finding co-investors and redeveloping the property. Is he still supposedly trying to set up an apartment for himself on the grounds [[uh, where, exactly would that even work? Is there still office/administrative space that is relatively intact?)

Django, we haven't met but I've been reading your posts here for years and I know you're a seasoned Detroiter. That said, haven't you had the same scam pulled in other parts of the city before? When I lived near the Fox, it was SOP.

However, I hope the fact that you have a photo can lead to an investigation. I wonder if the kinder, gentler police force would actually show an interest? Have you contacted them?

How many times is this same story gonna be shared on this site?

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I was working with a video crew last year [[Drugs Inc. Detroit) and we parked their rental van in the often used abandoned grocery store lot. We were about to leave the car unattended to explore the Packard when a 50ish white guy rode up on his bike and claimed he worked with another film crew also filming at the Packard that day. The man warned us that we should be on the lookout for a guy asking for money to protect their car. If you dont pay said man you come back to a broken window and empty car. This evening I ran into a friend online who met and photographed this guy and is pretty sure he is actually the hustler/thief. Looking at the pic my friend sent me this is the guy.
    I have his pic but Im not going to post it publicly while claiming he is this thief because I cannot be sure.
    If anyone has anything similar I'd like to hear.

Im sorry if that was confusing, it is confusing.

I just get the feeling this story is complete bs.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Django, we haven't met but I've been reading your posts here for years and I know you're a seasoned Detroiter. That said, haven't you had the same scam pulled in other parts of the city before? When I lived near the Fox, it was SOP.

However, I hope the fact that you have a photo can lead to an investigation. I wonder if the kinder, gentler police force would actually show an interest? Have you contacted them?

Quote Originally Posted by astongraham View Post
    I just get the feeling this story is complete bs.

I don't know if his story is, but when I used to go to Tiger Stadium, and park on a side street North of 75, [[take the walk-over accross), there was a kid who would pull up on his bike and say "Hey mister, I'll watch your car for $2, a lot of bad things happen in this neighborhood". I, of course gave him $2, and no "bad things" ever happened to my car.

It's not "exploring" it's trespassing.

I stay out of buildings I have no business being in. I don't have those problems.

Answer: Trespassing is against the law.

You saw the signs.....

This site sure has changed over the years. Used to be open to city spelunking. Why would anyone shoot someone else over taking pics in an abandoned building?

But Im not making anything up. The photo I have of the guy is from a well known photographer and he confirmed my thoughts on him. He didnt want his name used.

As far as having that scam pulled on me no, but Ive never owned a truck worth breaking into.

This site sure has changed over the years. Used to be open to city spelunking. Why would anyone shoot someone else over taking pics in an abandoned building?

+100 Django. Not to mention the original basis for this website.

But Im not making anything up. The photo I have of the guy is from a well known photographer and he confirmed my thoughts on him. He didnt want his name used.

As far as having that scam pulled on me no, but Ive never owned a truck worth breaking into.
    Django, you're either delusional or you've been out with Cushionberry. As usual, your interpretation of what has been going on the Packard Plant isn't based on reality. The building has been vandalized to the point of collapse. Now that it does have a legitimate owner, you are trespassing for personal monetary gain. As far as being shaken down for dollars, maybe you should consider hiring this guy as a security guard for your business. [[you know, spread the wealth) As far as being shot @, every business venture has it's risks.

spe·lunk·ing

noun \-kiŋ\ : the sport or practice of exploring or studying caves

I was working with a video crew last year [[Drugs Inc. Detroit) and we parked their rental van in the often used abandoned grocery store lot. We were about to leave the car unattended to explore the Packard when a 50ish white guy rode up on his bike and claimed he worked with another film crew also filming at the Packard that day. The man warned us that we should be on the lookout for a guy asking for money to protect their car. If you dont pay said man you come back to a broken window and empty car. This evening I ran into a friend online who met and photographed this guy and is pretty sure he is actually the hustler/thief. Looking at the pic my friend sent me this is the guy. I have his pic but Im not going to post it publicly while claiming he is this thief because I cannot be sure. If anyone has anything similar I'd like to hear. Im sorry if that was confusing, it is confusing.
    This seems a little like a bank robber complaining because the getaway was stolen while he was sticking up the teller.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    +100 Django. Not to mention the original basis for this website.
    Right? This used to be fun here in the early 00's, we all shared our photos and stories of Detroit, the MCS, Packard, whatever we could find. All of a sudden were not supposed to explore anymore after years of doing so [[25 plus years for me). Some of the newbies should do a little looking back in time at this site and see where and why it all began.

I really dont want to get baited into a pointless discussion. I know the Packard inside and out from the top down and into the tunnels but Ive never come across a no trespassing sign there. I am looking forward to meeting the new owner and am looking forward to seeing what he's going to do with the place. If he does come through with his plans Ill miss being able to explore but am glad I was here to see the transformation.

Right? This used to be fun here in the early 00's, we all shared our photos and stories of Detroit, the MCS, Packard, whatever we could find. All of a sudden were not supposed to explore anymore after years of doing so [[25 plus years for me). Some of the newbies should do a little looking back in time at this site and see where and why it all began.

I really dont want to get baited into a pointless discussion. I know the Packard inside and out from the top down and into the tunnels but Ive never come across a no trespassing sign there. I am looking forward to meeting the new owner and am looking forward to seeing what he's going to do with the place. If he does come through with his plans Ill miss being able to explore but am glad I was here to see the transformation.
    Thanks for sharing your story Django, I like reading about your stories and adventures throughout the years. I too was once a fan of urban exploring, but after hearing stories like yours and others, I have kind of halted on that. I am getting older, I have seen it before and unfortunately I do carry valuables around and could be seen as a target.

It's funny there is a woman [[girl- maturity speaking) who posts pictures on Instagram and other various photo sharing social media sites of her, her mother [[50's) and her daughter [[11/12) going into the Packard Plant. I believe in the last few weeks there has been a heavier security presence and signs posted, not to mention all the media coverage of the purchase of the Packard. Which she would have to be completely oblivious to all this, especially with all her "social media" skills.

While I am all for getting to know your past and learning about the rich history of Detroit's beautiful and decaying buildings, I find this to be one of the worse ideas for a parent to allow their child to do. Talk about trying to be more of a friend for your child rather than trying to be a parent. Am I alone on this? Do you feel that parents should take their children to see ruins like this from a distance or is just the most absent minded idea you have ever heard of? Oh my gosh, I am turning into my parents, hehe!

Its funny WARSAW, The Packard only recently became dangerous because of the draw of photographers and their expensive gear. In all my years Ive only met one person not including myself who has stayed in the Packard. Theres nothing there and its warmer to sleep in an abandominium. The thought of the Packard crawling with lowlifes and homeless is an urban myth but apparently now yeah, you have to watch your back.

I've got a soft spot for the Packard plant. My ma was born on Medbury within spitting distance, my folks were married at the church whichis still standing the E. Grand, and my grandpa worked there for a number of years & I've got a couple of group work pics there with him in it.

As I've wandered thru there a number of times, I always wished I knew what building he worked in, before he took leave of his job.

I've known photographers who've wandered that place with expensive gear for at least 15 yrs....one in particular used large format view camera to do art nude studies, also did the same at Michigan Central Depot. That said, I do think the numbers doing the same have increased in the last half decade.

GUSHI Guest

My mom use to work at some kind of clothing factory by the Packard, we use to go to kingsway down there, also use to go to the grocery store by it, I think it was called semans.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Answer: Trespassing is against the law.

You saw the signs.....
    I think it's blatantly obvious that many abandoned Detroit buildings have been easements to nuisance related activities of photography and exploration for years without penalty. Enforcement goes both ways and the pressure and liability are on for the new owner to hire security, fence and sign the property in accordance to local laws before any real assistance will be given from local authorities.

I'm not condoning trespassing, but when it comes to abandoned and destroyed property, it's the least priority or concern to society, especially when it comes on photographers or architecture enthusiasts.

That said, it surprises me that some people get so upset at out of towners coming in to check out the buildings. Why not direct it at scrappers and vandals stripping and destroying useful vacant property?

I don't have those problems since I don't go into buildings I don't belong in. Like already has been said here it's not exploring, what you are doing is indeed trespassing. And for real I have nothing to gain by taking pictures of abandoned buildings, it's a waste of time.

I really dont want to get baited into a pointless discussion. I know the Packard inside and out from the top down and into the tunnels but Ive never come across a no trespassing sign there.
    Not a newbie, been on this site since before the server change in 2009. Yes, I've enjoyed all the photos & stories too. In my younger days, I did exploring at the old Eloise complex. At one point, I, too, was inspired to do some exploring of my own in the city until I read a certain story. I'm pretty sure [[but don't hold my memory to it) it was something you posted Django. You said you had been in a building on the second floor. The floor gave out & you fell through. You injured your back, & it took several months to heal. The realization of not truly know how structurally sound some of the abandoned buildings are & fear of injury is what has dissuaded me from exploring more so than being busted for trespassing.

Never had a problem parking at Packard but maybe I was lucky. There is a lot of misconception about ruins sites being dangerous, vulnerable to car smash and grabs or 'bad' folk hanging out and stalking visitors.

In fact they are the last place any crook would likely be. Other than Packard which is renowned almost all ruins sites are quiet lonely places with few opportunities for potential perps who are also unfamiliar with the sites.

As for entering, I have never broken into nor crossed into a no-trespass posted site. If the site is open and unposted I consider it fair game and take my chances. Live a little and learn a lot. After that is 'take only pictures, leave on footprints'.