Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default More crime sweeps. 13 arrests. over $2 million worth of drugs seized

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._river_default

holy moly.. loving this new police chief.. keep it coming

Sounds like they are exaggerating the value of the drugs, but I'm all in favor of them making Detroit a less attractive place for criminals to do business.

Wow this is great news! We still have a long way to go, but we are moving in the right direction. I hope people are starting to get the message now and that there will be at least some small amount of fear in the hearts of people considering committing crimes. Anyway, James Craig is the man!

GUSHI Guest

The man is always trying to stop the enterpunial spirit in dETROIT.

Taking drug dealers with guns and bullet proof vest off of the streets of Detroit has got to be one of the best ways to save lives in the city. Way to go chief and DPD!
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-05-14 at 09:28 PM.

The drugs they stole were worth just over a quarter million.

I dont have a problem with getting illegal gun carrying violent criminals off the street but locking up drug dealer after drug dealer does no good at all unless of course they are a violent criminal. You can squeeze the sausage all you want but there will always be a plentiful supply of illegal drugs. If there is always going to be an unlimited supply why fight it, why fill our prisons and build more prisons? The land of the free now has more people in prison [[mostly young and black) than any other country in the world by far. I understand that these people are often times willing to kill for turf, Im just trying to plant the seed that this drug war is lost. Legalize, decriminalize, regulate it.
    We just lost a great actor to a preventable heroin overdose because your common street dealer doesn't know how to label their drugs with purity levels like a pharmacist could. Putting these dealers out of business by taking away the profit is the only way the violence will stop. More people die over drugs than by drugs.
    Last edited by Django; February-06-14 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    The drugs they stole were worth just over a quarter million.

I dont have a problem with getting illegal gun carrying violent criminals off the street but locking up drug dealer after drug dealer does no good at all. You can squeeze the sausage all you want but there will always be a plentiful supply of illegal drugs. If there is always going to be an unlimited supply why fight it? I understand that these people are often times willing to kill for turf, Im just trying to plant the seed that this drug war is lost. Legalize, decriminalize, regulate it. We just lost a great actor to a preventable heroin overdose because street dealers dont know how to label their drugs with purity levels. Putting these dealers out of business by taking away the profit is the only way the violence will stop. More people die over drugs than by drugs.
    Yeah. This is like the captain of a leaky boat bailing a pailful of water and sending out a glowing press release about it.

Now if somebody dealt with that big, hulking hole called the War on Drugs, I'd be cheering.

Good analogy nerd. That is the problem which made our city what it is today.

Good analogy nerd. That is the problem which made our city what it is today.
    While I fully agree with you, someone DOES need to do something with the current set of circumstances we are in. And honestly, that means removing violent criminals from the street. Low level dealers and addicts are not going to make a dent in the crime level, but removing the people who have a vested interest to become violent to defend or take territory, those are the people causing havoc for innocent everyday citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    While I fully agree with you, someone DOES need to do something with the current set of circumstances we are in. And honestly, that means removing violent criminals from the street. Low level dealers and addicts are not going to make a dent in the crime level, but removing the people who have a vested interest to become violent to defend or take territory, those are the people causing havoc for innocent everyday citizens.
    I Completely agree, national policy on drug decriminalization needs to take place ASAP, but the fact is its not going to anytime soon so right now we only have 2 choices-

Either lets the blood keep getting spilled at a horrific rate and do nothing and hope that eventually policy changes. Or
    Aggressively go after anyone who uses guns and violence in there business.

I would go after the gun criminals and only put my law enforcement resources on the violent types using none of them on the nonviolent. Stopping the gun violence is all that really matters, not who uses what to get high.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-06-14 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I Completely agree, national policy on drug decriminalization needs to take place ASAP, but the fact is its not going to anytime soon so right now we only have 2 choices-

Either lets the blood keep getting spilled at a horrific rate and do nothing and hope that eventually policy changes. Or

Aggressively go after anyone who uses guns and violence in there business.

I would go after the gun criminals and only put my law enforcement resources on the violent types using none of them on the nonviolent. Stopping the gun violence is all that really matters, not who uses what to get high.

That I can agree with. Im just trying to start a dialog on decrim and/or legalization which needs to be talked about more. We need to be thinkin in that direction and have our government thinking that way. They should be working for us and our best interests. The crack epidemic devastated Detroit and were still digging ourselves out.
    The new for profit privatized prisons scare the hell out of me, locking people up for profit then putting them to work for even more profit is akin to slavery. This drug war needs to end before private prisons become the norm. I can guarantee our grandkids will look back on this time 100 years from now and wonder "what were they thinking?" just like we now look back on slavery, or the Nazis.

That I can agree with. Im just trying to start a dialog on decrim and/or legalization which needs to be talked about more. We need to be thinkin in that direction and have our government thinking that way. They should be working for us and our best interests. The crack epidemic devastated Detroit and were still digging ourselves out.
    The new for profit privatized prisons scare the hell out of me, locking people up for profit then putting them to work for even more profit is akin to slavery. This drug war needs to end before private prisons become the norm. I can guarantee our grandkids will look back on this time 100 years from now and wonder "what were they thinking?" just like we now look back on slavery, or the Nazis.
    Something I, and many others from my generation, agree with. We watched the drug war rage on around us, tons of people being locked up, watched the war on drugs do nothing but make the drug dealing business more violent and competitive. Its really horrible. The for-profit prisons are easily the scariest of the bunch though.

I think Craig is at least putting the right foot forward on this. I'd like to see him push drug dealers out of stable neighborhoods and keep pressure on the drug dealers who are causing violence across the city. I really wonder what Detroit's murder/shooting rate would be if you removed drug related shootings/murders. Would probably drop a ridiculous amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah. This is like the captain of a leaky boat bailing a pailful of water and sending out a glowing press release about it.

Now if somebody dealt with that big, hulking hole called the War on Drugs, I'd be cheering.
    Here is an idea. Legalize drugs and make them a gummint monopoly. Sell them at gummint stores manned by civil servants. Have them open 8:30-4:30 five days a week [[closed in lunch hour).

Figure out how much money we need to run the federal, state, and local gummints and set the price accordingly, doing away with all income, transaction, and ad valorem taxes.

Use the now unnecessary IRS to track down illegal non-gummint drugs using tax court rules [[guilty until proven innocent).

where were these raids conducted?

another detroit crime sweep of probationers and other easily rounded up 'usual suspects'.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014032...e-raid-arrests
    "Detroit crime sweep arrests 63, seizes guns, drugs, pills, money"

doesnt even get a thread on dyes? are people realizing its doing nothing to stop crime or did they tire of the same PR stunt ?

YAY Craig, YAY Duggan!!!

Stop those Dead [[C)Krak Heads!! from ruining our hoods.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    another detroit crime sweep of probationers and other easily rounded up 'usual suspects'.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014032...e-raid-arrests
    "Detroit crime sweep arrests 63, seizes guns, drugs, pills, money"

doesnt even get a thread on dyes? are people realizing its doing nothing to stop crime or did they tire of the same PR stunt ?
    Arresting criminals does nothing to reduce crime?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Arresting criminals does nothing to reduce crime?
    But it does seeds a message to black kids wearing Travyon Martin's and white kids wanna be black folks that prison will be a permanent retirement for life from your life.

Two lousy grams of cocaine and three of heroin and 25lbs of weed? was that really worth it? If these guys were caught up in some violence I would be down with it. The two dozen illegal weapons has me wondering, were these guys carrying pocket knives or did they actually get caught with guns? I want violent criminals off the street like any sane person would but these raids just feel like a political move to me. I keep thinking of The Wire and Hamsterdam. The fact is your not going to bring the violence down in the city by arresting a bunch of small timers selling out of their cheap apartments or on the corner while they sell nickle bags. You can bust these guys everyday forever and not make a dent in crime.