Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How many of inches of snow so far for Detroit?...

Trying to recall average winter snowfall for Detroit, something 40 or 42 inches.

I once saw a list on this site for the biggest snowfalls for Detroit with one around 1890 in early April first at around 22 inches. I recall the second biggest recorded snowfall of 30 Nov-1 Dec 1974 at around 19 inches. I was driving a red '64 Chevy Impala around Wayne State on the 1st of Dec that year and barely made it around.

2 Jan 99 storm was my last big one in Detroit, around 11 inches. Now out west in next to no snowfall region of PDX.

Yearly average snowfall for Detroit is 42.7".

2013-2014 season-to-date snowfall is 59.9" [[not including today's snowfall). This past January was the snowiest January on record, the snowiest month of all time and the 6th coldest Janauary on record with 39.1" of snow.

If we see roughly 4 more inches, this would be a top 10 snowiest winter on record for Detroit.

Cool - I was at Wayne in 1974 too. iirc, the bulk of the snow dumped on Sunday afternoon. That was a big one. It messed up Monday finals at Wayne for us.

Sunday, I was at the Bonstelle Theatre from morning, getting there before a lot had fallen. After the closing matinee we stayed to strike the set/lights in the theatre. By midnight my green '71 nova had been plowed in on Woodward. It was entirely buried, even over the top. I dug to get in and ran it back and forth managing to smash the snow back and drive it outta there. 2 words: studded tires! Yeah getting around was about the worst I've seen. Did you live around there? I was over on Canfield.

Sorry for the highjack... sorta
    Last edited by ptero; February-05-14 at 02:24 AM.

Too @#$% much.

I wouldn't mind the snow so much if some of it would melt.

Number of days above freezing in the 10-day forecast: Zero

This winter has me rethinking my strategy for snow removal. It's getting tiresome to clear the whole driveway.

Instead I should just clear a large two-car space at the street end of the driveway and a narrower walking path from the house to the cars.

I feel like Sisyphus.

Respect to all who have to work outside in this.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-05-14 at 09:35 AM.

January, 1961. Working midnights, walking a beat on Michigan from 14th to the Boulevard. Snowing. Cold. Tired. Walked into the alley on the north side of Michigan to check back doors. Noticed footprints in the snow going from door to door. Aha! The adrenalin kicked in as I followed them for two blocks. Suddenly, it struck me.

They were mine, from the last time around. Dah.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I wouldn't mind the snow so much if some of it would melt.

Number of days above freezing in the 10-day forecast: Zero
    Make that two of us. At this point, even temps in the 20s are acceptable to me. The brutal cold has really been doing a number on us. You can't even go out to shovel the snow much without risking frostbite. Yes, you should take breaks when shovelling, but then the job gets drawn out to several hours long [[I do my neighbors' property too.). I'm to the point of go ahead & ticket me for not getting my sidewalk cleaned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This winter has me rethinking my strategy for snow removal. It's getting tiresome to clear the whole driveway.

Instead I should just clear a large two-car space at the street end of the driveway and a narrower walking path from the house to the cars.
    That's pretty much what I've been doing this year. My problem is clearing the sidewalks. I do my neighbor's corner house too which is alot.

You can all thank man made global warming for making bad winters happen.

The other planets are warming as well. Are we responsible for that, too?

How many inches of snow so far in Detroit?.......

Is this one of those "How many jelly beans are in this jar?" questions? Is there a prize for the correct answer?

From the Detroit NWS office:

The Long Cold and Snowy Winter Continues

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    January, 1961. Working midnights, walking a beat on Michigan from 14th to the Boulevard. Snowing. Cold. Tired. Walked into the alley on the north side of Michigan to check back doors. Noticed footprints in the snow going from door to door. Aha! The adrenalin kicked in as I followed them for two blocks. Suddenly, it struck me.

The stuff they didn't teach you at the academy, eh?

Great story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

You really ought to send that to the Reader's Digest. It's bound to get printed. They love that stuff.

I remember the 1974 blizzard well. It was Thanksgiving weekend, it started Sunday around noon or so and contined well into Monday. We ended up with a seven day weekend because of the Holiday. The 1999 storm someone mentioned, we had another 10 inches or so within a week or so of that one. After the second storm I had some sort of ice jam above my bedroom window that caused water to start leaking into my bedroom. I remember hearing a noise and thinking 'what the H could that be?' - it was water dripping in my bedroom! I had to go in to the backyard with the ladder and climb up there to clear it up, trudged through about two feet of snow.This is the worst ever that I can remember as far as the combination of snow and very low temps. It's really getting ridiculous! How anyone can choose to live somewhere like the UP is WAY beyond me, I don't care how beautiful it is other times of year, the winters would be worse than this [[and longer) just about every year. No thanks!

The exact same weekend a year earlier, I moved into the first house I owned. I was worried about the weather moving in Dec, but it was pretty balmy Detroit for that time of year.....think it was around 50 degrees.

When that '74 storm hit, I thought about that & shuddered. In those years was working outdoors in the street for MichCon. Yuck. ;

This January has topped all Jan records? I remember Januaries of 77 & 78 were doozies. Seemed like it kept snowing every few days, and never melted.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    I remember the 1974 blizzard well. It was Thanksgiving weekend, it started Sunday around noon or so and contined well into Monday.
    I remember that well too. We had gone up north to my grandparents near Cheboygan for the Thanksgiving weekend. We left on Sunday. It started snowing on the way home. We crawled from the Zilwaukee Bridge all the way home to Pontiac.

Sex is like snow.

A woman never knows how many inches she will get nor how long it will last.

I have a wholly unproven theory that historically we have gotten the vast majority of heavy snowfalls on Sundays. Anybody else have that impression?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    I have a wholly unproven theory that historically we have gotten the vast majority of heavy snowfalls on Sundays. Anybody else have that impression?
    Nothing like a Monday morning off!

Just heard thunder snow. Freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Just heard thunder snow. Freaky.
    Yeah. It was soooo LOUD and totally caught me off guard!

It's official- this winter sucks. Some stats:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display...00198&source=0

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast