Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Zombie Lounge and Paradise Valley

Came across a shot of this place in some online footage about the 67 riots. Renowned Paradise Valley club that used to be at Oakland near Holbrook.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 10.45.33 PM.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  20.6 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 10.52.37 PM.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 10.53.22 PM.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  31.0 KB

Online footage is here - great capturing of the city in the early days of August 1967.

Where is the online footage you referred to? Thanks for posting those pictures - they give a stunning contrast.

Oakland near Holbrook isn't really Paradise Valley [[which was south of the Blvd.), but I would love to see the video you mention.

Whoops didn't post the link - see below. Two parts to this, some has sound. Its not technically Paradise Valley within the boundaries that I've always understood it to be, so I was surprised to find Zombie at this location. I think Zombie was considered part of the PV lounge collection but could be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrFoNG-X8F8&sns=tw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlQRfIzI4FA

There is a clip of Ransom Gillis, lots on the aftermath and some amount of footage of the events on 12th street starting up. What shocked me the most about this though is just how "normal" Detroit looks in the first video. Occupied storefronts, continuous street walls, traffic jams throughout.

might be a dumb question, have there been any memoirs or notes or letters from people who said they were sorry for starting fires?

i mean, anyone repented their actions in the riot?
    anyone own up to starting a fire?
    any people on their deathbeds confess stuff ?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Oakland near Holbrook isn't really Paradise Valley [[which was south of the Blvd.), but I would love to see the video you mention.

Oakland St and Holbrook at the time was part of Paradise Valley when it expanded further north of Woodward Ave.