Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Crime Numbers January 2014

Wow, this sounds great. I always think that these kind of announcements are exaggerated a bit, and it's early in the year but so far these numbers are very encouraging.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._river_default

Great news! I wonder if the freezing temperatures and snowfalls had any effect?

Yeah, I was just about to say that. One of my friends pointed out that it's too damn cold to kill anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Yeah, I was just about to say that. One of my friends pointed out that it's too damn cold to kill anyone.
    So much for "cold blooded killer" eh? I hope it is a permanent trend and not just a fluke month.

I have a feeling those 500+ warrants executed in the raids of the past few months netted more than a few "people of interest"

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    So much for "cold blooded killer" eh? I hope it is a permanent trend and not just a fluke month.
    actually, it makes it more apt. cold-blooded animals aren't [[as) active when it's cold out

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Great news! I wonder if the freezing temperatures and snowfalls had any effect?
    I'm sure it did. The other thing to keep in mind is that homicide rates have a lot of month to month variation anyway. You really need to compare over longer periods than a month to see what is going on. But down is still better than up.

Also, Hamtragedy is right about the warrants. That is an area where I'm sure the DPD can do a lot more.

Agreed. I hope they stay on top of it and not just a one time media show. IMO the biggest hindrance to populating the City is crime.

While this may be a statistical blip, I hope that the positive progress continues. I doubt murders will be down 50% on the year, but I have no doubt that a meaningful decrease is possible. Let's hope this progress continues and we see double digit decreases in crime in the next year.

Great news! Whatever the reason, slowing or stopping the tragic waste of human life is the most important thing. I hope this trend will continue.