Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Curbed: GPP doesn't want Detroit

This topic has surfaced to and fro around these parts but now that the road closure is essentially "completed" - snow is plowed into the middle of Kercheval to create a natural barrier, which is, of course, illegal - upon which ornery locals have vociferously defended closing Kerch.

I half believed it for a moment, until I experienced it, much to my surprise, one day, trying to get into a retail establishment just inside the Park. I damn near missed my appointment trying to find a way into GPP.

I ended up cruising all the way down to St. Ambrose just to get into the kingdom.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...nt-detroit.php

It's a a lousy sham, more building walls in 2014.

It's just nice to see some national media turning against such a provincial idea.

What a half-truth, B/S article. The truth is GPP doesn't "want" Detroit stealing their cars and robbing their houses. That's the reality of the situation. There are plenty of mixed residents in Grosse Pointe, and truth be told, they're there to escape those issues in Detroit. I go into GPP several times a week, and have never had an issue finding a way in. I do remove the "D" from my ride, though.

I guess I'll be boycotting Gross Pointe Park now.

If you don't want my money being spent in your city, I'll take it elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I guess I'll be boycotting Gross Pointe Park now.

If you don't want my money being spent in your city, I'll take it elsewhere.
    Adding this to your boycott of Palmer Woods? Or, does the boycott extend to all of Detroit?

I live in Grosse Pointe and, though I understand the reasons for this closure, I am opposed to it. Its no way to be neighborly, it interferes with traffic flow, and I doubt it will be good for business - rare is the hemmed in market that out sells the accessible one. I hope somebody higher up the chain of command steps in and gets this fixed. I imagine a lawsuit could do it...

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...nt-detroit.php

I damn near missed my appointment trying to find a way into GPP.

I ended up cruising all the way down to St. Ambrose just to get into the kingdom.
    Do you have some sort of disability that I am not aware of? I mean, St. Ambrose church is 1.75 blocks away from Kercheval and Alter. So, let's double this to account for the "round trip" effect, and that gets us 3.5 blocks. Driving/walking 3.5 blocks should not cause you to nearly "miss" an appointment. Also, since it's been this way since the fall, maybe you should have added some time into your schedule for this?

While we're on the subject, everyone on this website talks about "walkable" neighborhoods, but when you try to develop one you guys drop an o-ring. Seriously, this is an attempt to build a nice little retail area for people and you guys are kicking and screaming like a child over 3.5 blocks.

Here, this might help.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    Adding this to your boycott of Palmer Woods? Or, does the boycott extend to all of Detroit?
    Why would I boycott a city I pay taxes to and reside in?

For that matter, what do Palmer Woods and the city of Detroit have to do with this discussion?

Walkable neighborhoods:

Attachment 22616

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Why would I boycott a city I pay taxes to and reside in?

For that matter, what do Palmer Woods and the city of Detroit have to do with this discussion?
    Palmer woods has several blocked off streets that impede access.
    Over the years, efforts to wall off Detroit streets to keep out motorists have drawn howls, with critics charging elitism and racism.

Today, Detroit not only is welcoming the efforts, the cash-strapped city footed the bill.

Northwest Detroit’s upscale Palmer Woods neighborhood, known for its tudor mansions and streets bordered by landscape rocks instead of curbs, has installed traffic barriers to block speeders from cutting through the historic area.
    Also, no one seems to mind dropping a chrysler plant across Kercheval in Detroit....but GPP does it to make a pedestrian/entertainment district and its tantamount to apartheid.
    Last edited by bailey; February-04-14 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Palmer woods has several blocked off streets that impede access.

Also, no one seems to mind dropping a chrysler plant across Kercheval in Detroit....but GPP does it to make a pedestria/entertainment district and its tantamount to apartheid.
    Well that's it! I'm not spending my money in Palmer Woods!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well that's it! I'm not spending my money in Palmer Woods!
    Hey, 313 was the one getting all righteously indignant about boycotting communities that cut off road access for traffic reasons.... it's curious that the outrage is absent when detroit does the same thing for the same reasons.... controlling traffic and access to certain areas.

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post
    Do you have some sort of disability that I am not aware of? I mean, St. Ambrose church is 1.75 blocks away from Kercheval and Alter. So, let's double this to account for the "round trip" effect, and that gets us 3.5 blocks. Driving/walking 3.5 blocks should not cause you to nearly "miss" an appointment. Also, since it's been this way since the fall, maybe you should have added some time into your schedule for this?

While we're on the subject, everyone on this website talks about "walkable" neighborhoods, but when you try to develop one you guys drop an o-ring. Seriously, this is an attempt to build a nice little retail area for people and you guys are kicking and screaming like a child over 3.5 blocks.

Here, this might help.
    Hey, Curbed, and the rest of the world outside your blue-haired bubble seems to agree with me. You guys need some serious PR work over there.

I mean, come on, a giant mound of snow? Why not just set up anti-tank barriers? A giant mound of snow is to create a walkable entertainment district? Are there mines in it?

This just reminds me of the point system all over again. Vociferously denied by the frozen chosen in GP to the very end when the rest of humanity knew full well what was going on.

Walkable entertainment district my ass. You generally don't create vibrancy by excluding people.

And Palmer Woods is 100% residential. It isn't the same at all.

You Country clubbers should write to Curbed with with your flimsy reasoning so they can make fun of you.
    Last edited by poobert; February-04-14 at 10:14 AM.

Hey, Curbed, and the rest of the world outside your blue-haired bubble seems to agree with me.

This just reminds me of the point system all over again. Vociferously denied by the frozen chosen in GP to the very end when the rest of humanity knew full well what was going on.

Walkable entertainment district my ass. There's nothing to be entertained with by in GP anyway. Just a couple Episcopal churches and smarmy wife-killers.
    lol. well then what is your complaint? sounds like you have no use for GPP so what do you care?

I agree, there are other communities you can miss appointments in.

But, precious few where you can audition for Dances with the Stars using the recording of your traffic stop.

I hate that Kercheval is blocked. In every way.

Hey, Curbed, and the rest of the world outside your blue-haired bubble seems to agree with me. You guys need some serious PR work over there.

I mean, come on, a giant mound of snow? Why not just set up anti-tank barriers? A giant mound of snow is to create a walkable entertainment district? Are there mines in it?

Walkable entertainment district my ass. You generally don't create vibrancy by excluding people.

You Country clubbers should write to Curbed with with your flimsy reasoning so they can make fun of you.
    Palmer woods is keeping people out by allowing its residents to decide which public streets should be blocked off to minimize "traffic"... heaven forfend if you had an engagement in Palmer Woods and were minorly inconvenienced by having to drive one freaking block further in any direction to get you to the place you needed to go.

Also, I note further you've not addressed the quivering rage everyone expressed when Chrylser plopped the Connor plant across Kercheval.

The HORROR.

PS... if 100% residential streets can block off access without engendering moral umbrage and cries of racism, then can all rest assured you had no problem with GPP blocking off Windmill Pointe, Korte, Gothe, Beconsfield and Somerset?
    Last edited by bailey; February-04-14 at 10:56 AM.

It's part of construction.

Why do you think you should have a say in how we build and develop our city?

Are you still butthurt about the 3.5 blocks?

I think you just see construction and investment and you get jealous and start crying racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    But, precious few where you can audition for Dances with the Stars using the recording of your traffic stop.

I hate that Kercheval is blocked. In every way.
    Really? Does Duggan know about this?

"Ritzy" districts the world over disagree with you!

I often have little choice but to eliminate problematic people from my life. Detroit's problems are well-documented. Maybe there was little choice left.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Walkable neighborhoods:

Attachment 22616
    I can guarantee that a shopping cart in that good of a condition will never randomly remain out in the open in a s***** neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post

I often have little choice but to eliminate problematic people from my life. Detroit's problems are well-documented. Maybe there was little choice left.
    Then call a spade a spade and cut the shit about entertainment districts.

I predict a reverse backlash from the drunken GP men attempting to get to My Dad's Bar to escape from their harpy Junior League wives.

The sewer that collapsed is the responsibility of the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department. I suggest you contact them about fixing the sewer that forced the closing in the first place.

Just take a look at a satellite photo, the Detroit neighborhood off Kercheval is a ghost town.

I don't blame them for wanting to limit access. Detroit has its issues, and the neighborhood next to them looks like it got bombed.

People should be more concerned about fixing the issues in Detroit, as opposed to being mad at adjacent cities for trying to wall themselves off.
    Last edited by Scottathew; February-04-14 at 11:44 AM.

^^^That, and also there's a difference between blocking off a street or two or three WITHIN a community to deter real crime problems and blocking off streets that restrict access from neighboring communities because of perceived fears of crime.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Just take a look at a satellite photo, the Detroit neighborhood off Kercheval is a ghost town.

I don't blame them for wanting to limit access. Detroit has its issues, and the neighborhood next to them looks like it got bombed.

People should be more concerned about fixing the issues in Detroit, as opposed to being mad at adjacent cities for trying to wall themselves off.
    But it fits so well into two current narratives:
    1) Our problems stem from racism, not ourselves,
    2) Our problems are the result of income inequality, not ourselves.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast