Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Hotel St. Regis

Default Hotel St. Regis

Does anyone know the history of this hotel when it was built, who built it, who stayed there etc?

here is their new logo:

Name:  St Regis.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  7.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Whoever wrote that needs a serious English lesson and probably works for the hotel. It is certainly not a luxury hotel any more.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Michigan.html

I've got a coupla of small stories about he place...

The Eastern wing is considerably newer and was built in the mid-late 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by Designerguy24 View Post
    Does anyone know the history of this hotel when it was built, who built it, who stayed there etc?
    I stayed there once. Hope that helps......

Stayed overnight back in the early '90's, ate at Lelli's. It was a very nice experience and I thought the hotel was very nice too. Same trip took us to Greektown and Trapper's Alley. It was a very different time.

When I worked at Michigan Bell over on E. Bethune, for our annual review our supervisor took each of us to lunch at the St. Regis. I don't remember much about the hotel or the restaurant other than the fact that I ate beef stroganoff for the first time. I believe the restaurant we dined in was their "upscale" restaurant. Don't know if there were others, but I do remember white linen tablecloths. This was back in 1968.
    Last edited by grumpyoldlady; February-09-14 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Typos

1984 and 85 I was in the Hotel working as a contractor on the HVAC systems and some plumbing issues for a couple of months. It was also during this time I believe the Japanese had bought controlling interest in the hotel and started construction of the new addition on the east side of the original.

I was living on a good sized cabin cruiser that summer docked at a marina at the mouth of the Clinton River. Good memories. There was a girl I was sweet on and she worked next door at the Fisher Bldg. We would meet for lunch and go to street concerts they would put on The Boulevard.

One weekend in July '85 Robert Plant and I think it was Phil Collins was rockin' the Joe Louis downtown and had the entire top floor for him and his entourage. I remember the hotel staff talking about how he had cleaned out all the stash of blow the kitchen staff had and they had to go out and cop some more.

It seems the kitchen served more than food.

Years before that they had built the Mauna Loa next door to the Regis. I had a friend that bussed tables and cleaned up there. When they closed at night sometimes we would drive over and help him clean up. Being under age we would help and our pay would be all the left over booze sitting at the tables.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; February-09-14 at 08:31 PM.

In the seventies it was pretty posh, stars from the theater stayed there. We would go to tea dances on Fridays. It was fun and pretty cheap.