Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

I always thought Stafford was weak at finding his secondary receivers but so much of it is your line giving you an extra couple of seconds. Also he did an excellent job of hanging in the pocket on some plays and moving out of it when necessary on others yesterday.

Regardless of the final record, I think Caldwell has done a good job with the team. Compare him to the three coaches a LOT of people would have preferred:
    Ken Whisenhunt: 2-9
    Lovie Smith: 2-9
    Jay Gruden: 3-8

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    When I am wrong, I am really really reeeeaaalllly wrong.
    Don't sweat it brother gnome. In the end it very well could've been your reverse mojo that got this team over the hump.

We came out and kicked ass after that so it all worked out.

It was kinda cool to see the Lions play an up tempo game. Stafford seems to work better under that sort of pressure. He was quick and decisive with his throws beating Chicago. It also showed in those comebacks this year. With under two minutes to go- he's deadly as they get. Maybe that's the ticket where he doesn't have to think so much. Maybe? I have no idea what sort of mental prep that these guys go through prior to an NFL game, but something clicked on Thanksgiving for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Don't sweat it brother gnome. In the end it very well could've been your reverse mojo that got this team over the hump.

We came out and kicked ass after that so it all worked out.

It was kinda cool to see the Lions play an up tempo game. Stafford seems to work better under that sort of pressure. He was quick and decisive with his throws beating Chicago. It also showed in those comebacks this year. With under two minutes to go- he's deadly as they get. Maybe that's the ticket where he doesn't have to think so much. Maybe? I have no idea what sort of mental prep that these guys go through prior to an NFL game, but something clicked on Thanksgiving for them.
    It did kinda help that the other team was bad and couldn't cover Johnson. Stafford does pretty good when he knows he can get the ball to Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    It did kinda help that the other team was bad and couldn't cover Johnson. Stafford does pretty good when he knows he can get the ball to Johnson.
    I dig it but seriously we shouldn't have to apologize for the other team's sh!tty play. For far too long we were that team that was bad. For far too long we were also that team that had major injuries and no depth too. Better teams should beat up on lesser teams. I really think that if the Lions wanted to, they very well could've run up the score a lot worse on the hapless Bears. It was a helluva game plan cooked up by Caldwell + Co. By the time the fourth quarter rolled around Bell was able to inflict some serious punishment between the tackles, stay in bounds and chew up some serious clock. Chicago was long done for by then.

I dig it but seriously we shouldn't have to apologize for the other team's sh!tty play. For far too long we were that team that was bad. For far too long we were also that team that had major injuries and no depth too. Better teams should beat up on lesser teams. I really think that if the Lions wanted to, they very well could've run up the score a lot worse on the hapless Bears. It was a helluva game plan cooked up by Caldwell + Co. By the time the fourth quarter rolled around Bell was able to inflict some serious punishment between the tackles, stay in bounds and chew up some serious clock. Chicago was long done for by then.
    Yea, but coulda doesn't translate into what actually happened. We can always say we "could have" made it to the Superbowl but it doesn't make anyone feel any better not to make it. I do agree though, the Lions are a pretty good team and ought to be pretty formidable contenders later in the season.

Well....we didn't get any help from the Patriots. GB is a beast at home, haven't lost there all season. Lions just need to handle their business starting Sunday vs TB, and everything else will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Well....we didn't get any help from the Patriots. GB is a beast at home, haven't lost there all season. Lions just need to handle their business starting Sunday vs TB, and everything else will take care of itself.
    Damn the Pats. Not only did they lose and hose my Fantasy League but they didn't do our Lions any favors.

But I'm also really wary of these supposed lowly Tampa Bay Bucs too. Remember? This was that "pushover team" that kicked our asses last year and sent us in a death spiral last year too.

I'm not gonna go ape over it though just because I have faith that the coaching here is going to make the difference. I'm sure after Detroit lost last year, Schwartz went on some vein busting tirade in the locker room… and he lost the team at that point. While his emotion is good for pumping up a team on the roll, that emotional shaming/ pump can do lots of damage with a piss poor performance too. Caldwell, on the other hand doesn't go nuts regardless if it's a huge win or a huge loss. He seems to do pretty well preparing week-to-week. This team really hasn't come out and stunk up the joint too badly although they've been smoked by the better teams. Caldwell is a cool cucumber and seems to have a much better rapport with these guys and I think the results are showing.

I think they'll beat Tampa Bay- maybe not by a lot, but the sheer talent of this Lions team in comparison to the Bucs will win out.

Still have to have their collective guards up. TB should have beat the Bengals. Minny and Chicago won't be a walk in the park either. Lions control their own destiny, if they fail they have nobody to blame but the mirror.

Still have to have their collective guards up. TB should have beat the Bengals. Minny and Chicago won't be a walk in the park either. Lions control their own destiny, if they fail they have nobody to blame but the mirror.
    I've always believed that any team in the NFL can come up and bit someone in the ass. Even the lowliest team can smack around the top dog. Football is a funny sport where all it takes is one silly bounce, an injury or something quirky to happen and the world flips upon itself.

Detroit had better not look anywhere beyond Sunday. Like Ford Motor- take care of Job #1 first and kick Tampa's ass. And not that I think it'd happen but if for some reason we get a commanding lead, I say we rest the starters and let the scrubs play. Again a huge IF but I think it's a prudent one.

Well Tampa Bay wasn't as scary and spooky as they were last year. We pretty much handled them without too much concern. At no point did I even feel as though they could do much to us to jeopardize the lead. The front four was amazing and just drove McCown into the ground like a tent peg all day long. That poor guy is probably still feeling some of those bone jarring hits. Between Suh, Levy and Ansah- he never had much of chance to set and find his receivers.

It wasn't all sunshine though as I thought it was a pretty chippy game on both sides. That penalty flag flew far too much for my tastes. And while I think Darius Slay has improved in big steps, the guy needs to look for the ball and fight for it as opposed to waving his arms tangling the receiver. It just looks like interference and is gonna get flagged 99% of the time for it. We made the Bucs offense too many second chances. If it wasn't for those penalties I'd say we would've held them off of any TDs. We need to clean those up and can't be resorting back to the Schwartzian Times now. Let's beat the other team and stop shooting ourselves in the ass.

I did like the offense firepower though. Stafford came out slinging, had some swagger and accuracy. His O line didn't do him too many favors though as his pocket collapsed pretty quickly and he got dogged 4 times. Stafford also managed the ball well and didn't throw any picks which is a bonus. Receivers not named Johnson & Tate need to step up the game too.

We won against a pretty bad opponent. We shouldn't bitch but we also need to hold this team accountable for the things they could fix- the penalties, the defensive lapses, securing the ball after an interception, etc.. Keep the focus on the upcoming game and quit jumping ahead to the last game of the season. Beat the Vikings next week is Job One.

Matthew Stafford might finally be stitching it together. This is his second game of being somewhat sharp. Even his deflected passes in the Red Zone land graciously into Joique Bell's awaiting arms for the touchdown! I even saw some of his maturity on the botched snap where he ran down the ball, scooped it up and threw it harmlessly out of bounds. A 76.5% completion rate isn't bad at all for a guy we all worried about having some consistency.

Seeing a healthy Calvin Johnson at this time of the year is a joy too. We've seen it so many times but he was a beast out there again. He was sure handed and just couldn't be covered. I loved Caldwell's game plan to go long with Calvin Johnson as well. That must've put the fear into the Bucs and hopefully helped in opening up the run game.

Six sacks by the Lions' defense was thrilling. DeAndre Levy is playing out of his mind. He had poor McCown in his sights all night. Having the push from guys like Suh & Ansah has got to make it easier for Levy to get to the QB. Our defense kept the Bucs on edge with stacking the line, rushing a LB or a nickel back too.

I think the Bucs took a page from the New England playbook on how to beat the Lions. Throw the ball as much as possible and don't even try running the ball. If given the time I'm sure that McCown would've dinked and dunked. But since Ndamukong Suh was busting through the line so many times, McCown just couldn't settle into any sort of rhythm. Six sacks was impressive. It also shows that McCown is no Tom Brady and the Bucs offensive line is not the Patriots line.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    My sincere apologies, Downriviera. I have no idea how I missed your prediction. So consider THIS post to be the official results now:

The tabulating is in and here they are...

The Detroit News columnists:
    •Josh Katzenstein 7-9
    •Rod Beard 9-7
    •John Niyo 9-7
    •Bob Wojnowski 10-6

The Free Press had no predictions for this season yet.

BleacherReport.com columnist:
    •Zach Kruse 9-7

PrideofDetroit.com columnist:
    •Sean Yuille 8-8

The DetroitYes intelligencia:
    •Danny 10-6
    •rb336 11-5 [[+a playoff game!)
    •Danny… again with a 9-6 call, but since you were short a game we’ll have to keep it with the original prediction of 10-6
    •smirnoff 8-8
    •Bong-Man 6-10 [[Stafford injury @ game #5)
    •kenp 7-9 [[Stafford hurt too)
    •thruster315 9-7
    •Dbest 10-6 [[Bell 1200+ yards & Ebron 7 TDs)
    •Pickford-Bentler 8-8
    •ABetterDetroit 8-8
    •Lowell 12-4 [[first round playoff loss)
    •gnome 10-6
    •Oddz313 8-8
    •Downriviera 7-9
    •smogboy 10-6

HOLEEE SHEEEEET!

Just a flashback here because the majority of us were just a bunch of wimps in picking- but take a look at those predictions.

smirnoff's call is done.
    Bong-Man was out of the running ages ago.
    kenp toasted.
    Pickford-Bentler's pick obliterated.
    ABetterDetroit's 8-8 not gonna happen.
    Oddz313 not this year.
    Downriviera's 7-9 surpassed two games ago.

I'm the dope that in order for me to win the predictions poll here- the Lions would have to gas the remaining games in order to go 9-7. I'm hoping I'm way wrong and my bunion falls off in horrific shame.

Danny's, DBest's, gnome's, and smogboy are still in the mix with their 10-6 predictions.

rb336 11-5 [[+a playoff game!) is looking mighty good.

Lowell's 12-4 pick is still possible. We'd take the division for sure if we do.

Took care of business against a bad team. Lots of things to clean up going forward but a a good hold of serve at home. Only really bad spot was Ihedigbo trying to run the pick out of the end zone, then not securing the ball. Really enjoyed the coverage by Dick Stockton and Brady Quinn. Quinn is the best color guy on Lion's game this year, calling plays before they happened. He even circled Fauria with the telestrator before the TD.

I watched the game with my uncle in his hospital room out in Novi. He has been there since before Thanksgiving and has been getting a bunch of different treatments for his kidneys, liver, lungs and heart. He isn't improving.

so, it's the fourth quarter and his doctor comes in to give him the news that the treatments have not worked and that he is going to ...

uncle sez," Hold on Doc, the Lions are winning."

That is a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I watched the game with my uncle in his hospital room out in Novi. He has been there since before Thanksgiving and has been getting a bunch of different treatments for his kidneys, liver, lungs and heart. He isn't improving.

so, it's the fourth quarter and his doctor comes in to give him the news that the treatments have not worked and that he is going to ...

uncle sez," Hold on Doc, the Lions are winning."

That is a fan.
    Now THAT'S dedication!

My thoughts goes out to your uncle. May God give him and your family resolution and comfort.

And may God give your uncle some more Lions victories.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Really enjoyed the coverage by Dick Stockton and Brady Quinn. Quinn is the best color guy on Lion's game this year, calling plays before they happened. He even circled Fauria with the telestrator before the TD.
    I thought it was just me. I think Brady did a phenomenal job covering the game. Too bad his quarterback career didn't pan out..

rb336 11-5 [[+a playoff game!) is looking mighty good.

What's bothersome is that 11-5 might not get a playoff spot, while Tampa Bay is still in the running for BOTH the division title[[well, mathematically) and the top pick in the draft

After watching Atlanta's no huddle offense shred GB's pass defense, especially Julio Jones who had 11 catches for 259 yds and a TD, The Lions if they play sound defense and don't make silly mistakes and penalties, might actually have a chance to win at Lambeau for the first time in 24 years. Atlanta came back from a 31-7 halftime lead to lose 43-37. Atlanta's defense didn't sack Rodgers or get pressure on him one time. If the pressure did come Rodgers extended the play with big throws downfield. That's what makes him so dangerous. I hope the Lions can get pressure on him without blitzing and maybe they have a shot. But they first have to take care of the Vikings and Bears. And I second what Thruster said Gnome, hope your Uncle gets to see more Lions wins.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-09-14 at 01:01 AM.

After watching Atlanta's no huddle offense shred GB's pass defense, especially Julio Jones who had 11 catches for 259 yds and a TD, The Lions if they play sound defense and don't make silly mistakes and penalties, might actually have a chance to win at Lambeau for the first time in 24 years. Atlanta came back from a 31-7 halftime lead to lose 43-37. Atlanta's defense didn't sack Rodgers or get pressure on him one time. If the pressure did come Rodgers extended the play with big throws downfield. That's what makes him so dangerous. I hope the Lions can get pressure on him without blitzing and maybe they have a shot. But they first have to take care of the Vikings and Bears. And I second what Thruster said Gnome, hope your Uncle gets to see more Lions wins.
    I was thinking the same thing after watching the game. Green Bay looked unstoppable in the first half, but then settled into the mortal realm. Julio Jones was a beast and torched the Packers corners- which makes me think the Lions have a beast of a wide receiver who can carve us some defenses.

And not meaning to toot our own horn but I think we have a better D than the Falcons. It might be closer than the Vegas guys think. And I couldn't agree more that we can't look past the upcoming games with Minnesota & Da Bears. They'll be playing for contracts and pride- which can be pretty motivating.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    What's bothersome is that 11-5 might not get a playoff spot, while Tampa Bay is still in the running for BOTH the division title[[well, mathematically) and the top pick in the draft
    I thought 11-5 would get us a playoff spot barring Dallas and Philly tying the game. It might not be a home game but we'd make the wild card at least.

But can you imagine a home game playoff? Ford Field would come unhinged with the Lions' faithful. And the city would be apesh!t if we won too. BUT again- let's not get ahead of ourselves. Game this Sunday is all we should focus on. Let's not jump too far ahead.

But congrats with the pick. It's looking mighty fine right now.

Mind buying us some lottery tickets if this pans out?

It's December. Only THREE teams have a better record than the Lions

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    It's December. Only THREE teams have a better record than the Lions
    I think this also goes to show you what a new coach can do. This team under Schwartz last year around this time was swirling around the drain. Caldwell is somehow pushing all the right buttons and getting them to perform at a pretty competitive level. Whether it's last minute "we can do this" sort of drives or a steady confidence in execution, it's happening. I couldn't tell you all the Xs & Os he puts up on the chalkboard or what zen speeches he has behind closed doors but it's working. While I'll be the first slappy to tell you I did enjoy the fire that Schwartz had, it obviously didn't resonate with this bunch. Schwartz was good for a head set throw, a Harbaugh chase down, a momentous fist pump, a super cloy post game presser, and a hearty 5 yard red flag toss- but it just didn't net us any tangible results, ie WINS.

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    I thought it was just me. I think Brady did a phenomenal job covering the game. Too bad his quarterback career didn't pan out..
    For far too long the Lions haven't been a marquee team that gets the love of the networks' better announcers. Look at that asshat they sent us earlier this year that eventually got canned because he was so unprofessional. Dick Stockton, while not perfect gets the game- and can deliver. Brady Quinn- albeit a newbie in the broadcast booth definitely knows the game [[playing it- not so much) and brought something to the call.

Maybe now that we're somewhat better of a team, we can start getting better seasoned announcers as opposed to the wannabes and the ex-jocks that think they know the game but can't stitch a cohesive sentence together.

And while not meaning to bag on the announcers of the game, I've always thought that calling a football game couldn't be THAT difficult [[I'm sure it has its challenges). The plays happen quickly but then they pause for the reset- so one actually has time to break them down a little bit or add a comment or two. It's just a decent paced sport where all one has a few moments to describe what happened. I'm sure with some prep work most of those guys have it pretty easy compared to guys that have to call faster paced games like hockey & basketball.

Dick Stockton needs to retire. I can't how many times he's made obvious mistakes in analysis about certain players like their names and game situations. He was good in his day, but it surely has passed.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast