Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Nice to have a season where it's the other team shooting itself in the foot for a change.
    Hallelujah and amen to that! And even our eff-ups [[delay of game) today came back to save out asses. Funny how luck and a simple twist of fate can be the difference between a win and a loss.

This game was about as schizophrenic as it got. Both teams had different personalities with the halves. Detroit uncharacteristically gave up three touchdowns in the first half, Atlanta's offensive line was effective, and our offense stalled horribly. Second half, the Lions came out a defensive juggernaut and the offense just clawed out just enough yardage to steal the game away.

While Brenneman and Aikman constantly made reference to the lack of tight ends, Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush- Matthew Stafford didn't completely take charge with the offense. He threw behind far too many times for my tastes although his dart to Golden Tate for the TD was a thing of beauty. He's still a work in progress; adjusting to the new offensive scheme will take some toll but Stafford has improved in some other areas. Stafford will probably have career lows in attempts, yardage, and touchdowns BUT he seems to be doing much much better with ball control. He doesn't fling the ball into danger like he did the last few years and he seems to be protecting the ball much better [[no more clumsy looking fumbles).

I do have some concerns for Nick Fairley though. That quirky injury is definitely going to affect his negotiations for a long term contract- especially if he's going to be out for a long time. What's sad is that he seems to have finally gotten it together and playing up to his potential. I love how Coach Caldwell seems to have reached him and he sees his value not just to himself but to the team. I only hope he gets better soon. I'm also left to ponder if Fairley stays here in Detroit, will it influence Suh's negotiations to stay here?

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Hallelujah and amen to that! And even our eff-ups [[delay of game) today came back to save out asses. Funny how luck and a simple twist of fate can be the difference between a win and a loss.
    Think about what our record would be like if we had an accurate place kicker a few weeks back. Sometimes this game is truly a game of inches, luck and silly bounces.

Methinks there is something seriously effed up with the kicking team. How does a professional organization not get on the field in enough time to kick the ball? It wasn't a surprise move by Caldwell to have the the kicker, holder and long snapper trot onto the grass for th game winner. True, it worked out, but something is wrong. This is our third kicker in eight weeks....

congrats on a anti-s.o.l. win. We will take this one, but I don't think we deserved to win.

And with the Saints 44-23 drubbing of the Pack, we sit in 1st all by our lonesome a game up. Saints are off the charts in that dome, but on the road is another story. Also, this is the 1st time in NFL history 4 QB's passed for 400 yards or more on the same day. Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers. Andrew Luck, and Nick Foles.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-26-14 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Methinks there is something seriously effed up with the kicking team. How does a professional organization not get on the field in enough time to kick the ball? It wasn't a surprise move by Caldwell to have the the kicker, holder and long snapper trot onto the grass for th game winner. True, it worked out, but something is wrong. This is our third kicker in eight weeks....
    Now I was hauling ass to get to the TV set before they got to the kick and heard Dandy Dan Miller talking about how the special teams coach had the unit following them down the side line ready to dash in at a moment's notice- so I think they were prepared to get on the kick off and under way. I did hear Rob Rubick [[no Jimmy Brandstatter in England) talking about how they want to make sure the placement of the ball is where Prater wants it but it didn't seem like an absolute rush situation. It sounded as though they wanted to move it to a preferable hash mark or center it and were milking the clock to prevent having to kick to Hester too. But it didn't sound as messed up as it was on the radio; it might've been different seeing it on the tube prior to.

I was also lucky enough to have just gotten in to see the first botched kick but didn't hear the sound. And then I saw FLAG and saw the winning kick.

congrats on a anti-s.o.l. win. We will take this one, but I don't think we deserved to win.
    Deserve is pretty subjective. In so many ways did Atlanta deserve to lose this way? I've given up on which team is deserving of a win or loss any more. Sh!t just happens in the NFL. Good teams find a way to win. Great teams just do it more often.

Although I'm glad the Lions are in 1st place, after the bye week they have 3 tough games against
    Miami, @Arizona and @New England. Those three games will tell us a lot about them, because let's face it, they haven't played very good teams except for the Pack, and maybe the Saints.

If I'm a Londoner and this was my first NFL game and I'm trying to gain an understanding of the NFL game, I still don't understand the NFL game.

I suspect, with Fairley's injury and the contract situation of Suh, that the Lions will seriously consider going to a 3-4 defense next year. The drafted Van Noy who is supposed to be an LB who can rush the passer. They have ends who have the size to hold up against the run. Just a thought.

If the Lions are to win any of the next three games, it is imperative that the offense have a complete game for all four quarters.

One thing that has hurt the Lions is that they have been devoid of their tall targets in the red zone due to injuries. How many of those 20 yard FGs would have been TDs, if both Johnson and Fauria were healthy?

And how good is GB?

Their defense got reamed by NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    I suspect, with Fairley's injury and the contract situation of Suh, that the Lions will seriously consider going to a 3-4 defense next year. The drafted Van Noy who is supposed to be an LB who can rush the passer. They have ends who have the size to hold up against the run. Just a thought.
    Darn good thought but I wonder if Caldwell feels comfortable with it though. Would that transition period cost us a game or two though? I'll assume you're thinking that we keep Fairley, build around him and Suh goes?

If the Lions are to win any of the next three games, it is imperative that the offense have a complete game for all four quarters.
    Not just the offense. The defense seems to be a little inconsistent too. Yesterday's first half was freaky odd. Watching the weak offensive line of the Falcons handling our supposedly potent front four was scary. They marched all over us and moved the ball at will. Thank God the game has a halftime to make adjustments.

One thing that has hurt the Lions is that they have been devoid of their tall targets in the red zone due to injuries. How many of those 20 yard FGs would have been TDs, if both Johnson and Fauria were healthy?
    Having the trees out there to snag the fade routes are always a nice luxury, but I'd also look at Stafford's accuracy. Getting back to that idea of having consistency is what we need Stafford to do. There are some moments when he looks amazing and then there are moments when he can't hit the broadside of a barn. Matty need game consistency too.

And how good is GB? Their defense got reamed by NO.
    I think word's out that if it wasn't for Aaron Rodgers golden gun, that team is in deep doo-doo. When we played them we kept him in check and won convincingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Although I'm glad the Lions are in 1st place, after the bye week they have 3 tough games against
    Miami, @Arizona and @New England. Those three games will tell us a lot about them, because let's face it, they haven't played very good teams except for the Pack, and maybe the Saints.
    As a realist I'm hoping we win one of these games, but then this Lions team has pulled out some surprises. I would've never have thought we'd beat the Saints but then conversely I thought this team would beat Buffalo pretty easily too. The bye week couldn't have come at a better time. I was so thankful they didn't play Calvin Johnson yesterday. I was fearing that Caldwell was going to fall for the England hype and parade him out there for the fans. Tacking on two more weeks of recovery is gonna do Calvin well. I'd love to see him fresh and scary for the second half of the season as opposed to fading and limping off as the season tapers down. Calvin can scare the living bejesus out of other teams and we're going to need that.

Notice how none of those SOL boo birds are even coming out of the woodwork?

I'd bet my bunion that if we would've lost yesterday's game that throng of humanity would've been here like there were nudie photos of Jessica Alba online.

Jessica Alba is naked online? Really? I got to check that out.

As a realist I'm hoping we win one of these games, but then this Lions team has pulled out some surprises. I would've never have thought we'd beat the Saints but then conversely I thought this team would beat Buffalo pretty easily too. The bye week couldn't have come at a better time. I was so thankful they didn't play Calvin Johnson yesterday. I was fearing that Caldwell was going to fall for the England hype and parade him out there for the fans. Tacking on two more weeks of recovery is gonna do Calvin well. I'd love to see him fresh and scary for the second half of the season as opposed to fading and limping off as the season tapers down. Calvin can scare the living bejesus out of other teams and we're going to need that.
    Seeing Calvin Johnson run and practice all week in London had me thinking at one point that they were going to rush him back too. I'm forever thankful that they Lions did not bring Calvin Johnson back just to appease the NFL brand.

Let's not forget that Reggie Bush, Brandon Pettigrew, Joseph Fauria, and Kevin Van Noy will also have another 14 days to recover. Even some of the healthier players will also have some time to mend some nagging wounds. The bye week couldn't have come at a better time for this team. I'm also hoping that Matt Prater takes time to bond with Muhlbach and Martin in preparation for the second half of the season.

It is true.

thank god.

Detroit Lions minutia:
    120 minutes played in the last two games. Lions have only held the lead for 01:38.

Jessica Alba is naked online? Really? I got to check that out.
    I'll have to have thruster315 do the PR for this page if it works that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I'll have to have thruster315 do the PR for this page if it works that easily.
    no no no… not I, loyal commish. I make a far better scout than I do chief for most things. The leadership mantle's all yours.

Bye week analysis here...

We get a week off from the boys only to have them left with this schedule:

11/9 vs. Miami
    11/16 @ Arizona
    11/23 @ New England
    11/27 Thanksgiving vs. Chicago
    12/7 vs. Tampa Bay
    12/14 vs. Minnesota
    12/21 @ Chicago
    12/28 @ Green Bay

Last year it was with an epic collapse under Schwartz- which ultimately got him canned. I'm willing to go out on that fat sturdy limb and say we can get four victories with the two Chicago [[oh how fast they've flamed out) games, the Bucs [[can someone say "train-wreck"?) game, and the Vikings game. Just maybe we can finally beat the Lambeau beast? Maybe??

I'm thinking these victories will be a direct result of coaching style. This is cold blooded Caldwell's baby now. He's cool as the under side of a bridge and won't go ape-sh!t like Schwartz did last year. I seriously wouldn't doubt that the team quit on Schwartz and his late season tantrums last year.

Maybe we can steal one from Miami, Arizona, and New England? I think we might have a puncher's chance against the Dolphins. They're hot now but we'll be rested, have a good compliment of players, and it's a home game.

This is what my bunion's saying now. Thoughts from the Lions intelligencia now that we have some time to digest and reflect?

What what what? Supposedly there's an ESPN report stating that Fairley's only going to be out 4-5 weeks? I saw it in the Freep but it only links to an ESPN blogger with dodgy details that sounds more like speculation than anything else.

But one can hope.

What what what? Supposedly there's an ESPN report stating that Fairley's only going to be out 4-5 weeks? I saw it in the Freep but it only links to an ESPN blogger with dodgy details that sounds more like speculation than anything else.

But one can hope.
    I saw on the NFL Network that they are calling it a knee sprain, not a ligament tear. Like you, I hope that's case anyway. He's lucky, Suh fell on him making that tackle, all 350 lbs.

I saw on the NFL Network that they are calling it a knee sprain, not a ligament tear. Like you, I hope that's case anyway. He's lucky, Suh fell on him making that tackle, all 350 lbs.
    Ndamukong Suh's shadow could land on me and I'd be broken.

Bye week analysis here...

We get a week off from the boys only to have them left with this schedule:

11/9 vs. Miami
    11/16 @ Arizona
    11/23 @ New England
    11/27 Thanksgiving vs. Chicago
    12/7 vs. Tampa Bay
    12/14 vs. Minnesota
    12/21 @ Chicago
    12/28 @ Green Bay
    I see only two that I think are utterly unwinable

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I see only two that I think are utterly unwinable
    Oh yeah? Which ones?

Oh yeah? Which ones?
    If I had to guess it would have to be against the Arizona Cardinals and the New England Patriots just based on the fact that the Lions will be on the road. It's not that this team has fared poorly on the road as of late, but I always account for the home team advantage of being familiar with the stadium setting and the crowd support.

Both of these teams have been extremely hot as of late and brimming with confidence. That's not to take any of the emotional content that the Lions have had either but somehow stealing two amazingly exciting games isn't the same as a methodical dismantling of the other team. New England destroyed Chicago 51-23 to extend their four game winning streak. The Arizona Cardinals also have a three game winning streak immediately after dispatching a very tough Eagles team. Combined both of these teams only have three losses between them.

But who knows what can happen. One injury to either teams' superstar or a rash of minor injuries could also hamper these teams in the next few weeks prior to taking on our Lions. Football can be funny that way. With some more extended luck, we just might be able to steal one of these games too.

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast