Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Who's your Lion? Mines Darius Slay.
    Be thankful it wasn't Nate Freese because they just released him. I can't feel good about this as the Lions wasted a 7th round draft pick on him, but I don't shed a tear for the guy because he just wasn't getting the job done.

There was some pre-season tension with the competition for linebacker. Was Van Noy going to land a spot? Was Whitehead going to secure a spot? Was Palmer going to get nudged out? Well, that competition is going to be a good thing as our depth is going to be tested. Tulloch's done for the season and I expect one of those depth guys to step up [[with the exception of Van Noy's who's still on the mend).

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    There was some pre-season tension with the competition for linebacker. Was Van Noy going to land a spot? Was Whitehead going to secure a spot? Was Palmer going to get nudged out? Well, that competition is going to be a good thing as our depth is going to be tested. Tulloch's done for the season and I expect one of those depth guys to step up [[with the exception of Van Noy's who's still on the mend).
    Has it been confirmed Tulloch's out for the season? It's a torn ACL I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Has it been confirmed Tulloch's out for the season? It's a torn ACL I bet.
    Yes, a torn ACL.

Was it REALLY from celebrating???

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    8-8
    Ebron goes out smashing his car looking for the fries, week 4
    Tate gets hit by a car blowing leaves off his driveway, week 6
    Suh gets 2 suspensions for a total of 6 games
    Stafford hits the IR for running through the middle slowly, week 14

Detroit, absolutely! The Lions though are cursed.
    I remember this funny prediction, now add, Tulloch out for season celebrating

When the NFL's reigning ironman pulls a Gramatica while dancing, who dares question the existence of a jinx.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    When the NFL's reigning ironman pulls a Gramatica while dancing, who dares question the existence of a jinx.
    I don't believe in any of that hooey. I'm all about facts. None of this hyperbole and voodoo. You can go check your psychic turban on that as I consult my all-knowing bunion about this supposed jinx.

Trust me, I know about freak accidents. I ruptured my quadriceps tendon stepping off a curb. Anything can happen, at anytime.

Unless they really go off the rails, I think the Lions have the division. Bears, Packers, and Viings are all on the skid.

Nine years of wear and tear may have made Tulloch's ACL ready to pop at the next jolt. IOW, he may have survived the "dance", but popped it on the next play.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    Nine years of wear and tear may have made Tulloch's ACL ready to pop at the next jolt. IOW, he may have survived the "dance", but popped it on the next play.
    Good point. He's a playmaker and will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Unless they really go off the rails, I think the Lions have the division. Bears, Packers, and Viings are all on the skid.
    I tend to agree that the rest of the division blows this year. The Bears are highly over rated, Packers have fallen back to mortality, and the Vikings sans Peterson are doomed. So that leaves the Lions to run away with it BUT this team has spent more time OFF the rails than on it. Sorry but I still have that bitter after taste of "We got this" to losing so many of the last few games that we turned into a laughing stock.

I'm still gonna cheer for the Lions- ALWAYS, but I'm also a bit of an agnostic. Show me and then I'll really buy into it. I've had my hopes and dreams crushed far too many times to bet the house on them. I might hedge my bets and maybe bet the one car unattached garage on them to win but no way do I go all-in that easily. At times this team can look like a Super Bowl winner [[not just contender) and then there are times it looks like my nephew's Pop Warner team could clown them.

I'm hoping that this is where Jim Caldwell steps in and convinces me that this team is going to be alright. I do see some serious signs of optimism. They say teams to take on the personality of their coaches a little and Caldwell seems like a pretty cool cat. I have yet to see any Schwartz-esque penalties by the defensive linemen in jumping offsides, no stupid bouts of being over aggressive, and there's a certain calmness in the coach. Just listening to his presser yesterday I heard how he danced around the topic of Freese when asked if he thought he looked dejected; he wasn't going to publicly rip the kid a new ass by agreeing with that reporter's leading question. Caldwell seems like a pretty smart and cool cat around the mike. He didn't snap back at the reporter and still managed to keep Freese's dignity intact even though he was shown the door. And I'll assume he's this way with the team too; hopefully it'll get some results and we can win a few more games.

I have had to actively tamp down my fandomness. The Lions are untrustworthy. I hate them for making me love them so much. They are the bad girlfriend who has mastered the Bankok Basket Trick, who can shoot a ping-pong ball across the room, who is always excited to be excited. They are the cheater, the liar, the crazy one who delights in getting revved up and then shutting down.

they the ones who are never happy with success and are happiest when you are sad.

I don't trust them. They are going to break my heart, I know that, but I still go crawling back.

it is a sickness. I am ill.

I hope the Lions watched the Bears/Jets game last night. Rex Ryan blitzes constantly, which should leave some plays to be made downfield, providing Stafford can deliver. The Jets D-line is good with DE Muhammed Wilkerson leading the charge. Jets should have won that game, but TO's did them in. Not going to be a easy game, Jets have some talent with Ivory and Johnson running the ball and that read option offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler

Exactly. People are giving him a hard time, but if that's all it took to tear his ACL, it was only a matter of time. At least this early in the season, the Lions were able to find a replacement. I don't hold Tulloch's celebration against him.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Exactly. People are giving him a hard time, but if that's all it took to tear his ACL, it was only a matter of time. At least this early in the season, the Lions were able to find a replacement. I don't hold Tulloch's celebration against him.

[/COLOR]
    Somebody tell me if I'm wrong here but didn't Tulloch come back and play a set of downs after the celebration/ disaster?? I don't think he even knew how bad it was until it really got painful for him.

No one should question the guy's heart or desire. He's one of the better guys on the team, a leader, and a character guy who gets out into the community.

I have had to actively tamp down my fandomness. The Lions are untrustworthy. I hate them for making me love them so much. They are the bad girlfriend who has mastered the Bankok Basket Trick, who can shoot a ping-pong ball across the room, who is always excited to be excited. They are the cheater, the liar, the crazy one who delights in getting revved up and then shutting down.

they the ones who are never happy with success and are happiest when you are sad.

I don't trust them. They are going to break my heart, I know that, but I still go crawling back.

it is a sickness. I am ill.
    There, there, brother gnome. I feel for ya. I'm in the same bed with that skeezy Honolulu Blue & Silver woman too.

Just FYI I always wear protection when it comes to bedding down this thing. She's a temptress and a fine one at that. She looks mighty fine and then breaks our heart when we're about to propose.

Keep it all in perspective that she's entertainment and not one you take home to momma just yet.

You hear that Stafford was behind the truck that hit that skywalk on the Southfield?

The Curse is real and the fact that Stafford wasn't crushed only means it is sniffing around waiting to pounce. Don't tempt temptation and cast your disbeliefs to the internet gods.

It's alive. Believe, don't feed.

You hear that Stafford was behind the truck that hit that skywalk on the Southfield?

The Curse is real and the fact that Stafford wasn't crushed only means it is sniffing around waiting to pounce. Don't tempt temptation and cast your disbeliefs to the internet gods.

It's alive. Believe, don't feed.
    There's crazier things than that, brother gnome.

Somebody explain to me how the Lions defense [[for this week at least) is the #1 in all the NFL. Okay we played against a feeble ass Eli Manning/ NY Giants team the first week where the G-Men looked as though they couldn't compete in the Lingerie Bowl much less an NFL game. But to somewhat contain Cam Newton & Aaron Rodgers?? HUH? HOW?

I get it. It's a small sample size and this is about as groundbreaking as getting new kicking tees, but I'm left wondering how is it even possible. We've lost more defensive backs than hillbillies with their own teeth. There are guys playing the defensive backfield that are probably closer to working Starbucks midnight shift than walking onto a legit NFL field on a Sunday.

Last year we were chatting away about how porous the offensive line was going to be and miraculously they ended up being one of the better units in the NFL. Is the Lions defense going to be out little bundle of miracles this season? Or are the law of averages going to come back and kick our asses back into reality? For all of the disappointments that this team can inflict upon us, they can still shock and awe the hell out of me at times.

Halftime ranting here again- so far so good. No complaints as the front seven seem to be keeping the Jets running game in check. Is that the Jets being inefficient or is it really the Lions being that good? That Jets initial drive scared me as they marched it down our throats with some authority but they've seem to have adjusted.

And what's up with the slips? Reggie Bush tried to cut and slipped. Stafford tried to step up and slipped. Calvin tried to fight for position and was doing the Looney Tunes leg spins in the turf. It looks as though they might need proper cleats at halftime.

Nice to see Pettigrew and Ebron involved too.

Digging the score so far so let's keep it going. We got the foot on the Jets throat and need to keep stepping. This Henery kid seems to be a nice upgrade in the kicking game too.

I get hand checks by defensive backs but how the hell is that grab of Corey Fuller's bicep not pass interference? There should've been yellow hankies galore. You could tell both of the Fox commentators not named Goose were skittish about the call.

It was a rough & tumble game for Matt Stafford. He absorbed some hits and got sacked multiple times but he stuck it out and led the team to another victory. He got bloodied and dinged but still managed to toss 293 yards + two touchdowns. He didn't have Calvin Johnson but boy, did Golden Tate look good; he's worth every nickel we're paying him now. I haven't had a chance to look at his Yards After Catch but I'd be willing he had some nice jumps after getting the ball. Jeremy Ross looked pretty good too with his touchdown scamper. It was good to see Broyles step in after being inactive and make a nice reach to get the team a nice first down conversion. Knowing Calvin was a little dodgy, the rest of the receiving corps stepped up big time.

Defensively Geno Smith made it easy for us. I'm still agog that Rex Ryan left him in there especially when his accuracy was so off. He ended up with a horrific 68.9 QB rating and when he was spot-on, his receivers didn't help him at all. It seemed as though the defense really focused on stopping the run and they kept the jets at bay. Darius Slay got burned a few times but he also got an interception late too; he's still a young man with a decent upside now.

Defensively both teams stacked the line really well. Running the ball between the tackles was not going to be an easy chore; we were reduced to only having one healthy back in Reggie Bush by the end of the game. I loved the one run where Reggie very well could've got an extra yard or two late in the game but kept fending off the defender to stay in bounds to keep the clock running. it was a smart and heady play; it showed a late game maturity that we haven't seen here in a long long while.

Good game, Lions. 3-1 is looking pretty good right now as we're a lone on the top of our division. But let's not look past an up-and-coming Buffalo team next week now. One game at a time and keep the focus. Remember that this is the team that shocked the Bears in their first game awhile back.

Commissioner smoggy- are you and I the only ones left to comment about this team after a victory any more? We lose a game and all of the nay-sayers are out pumping their chests saying "I told you so" but where are they now that the Lions have won back-to-back?

The Stafford bashers suddenly can't find their keyboards. Someone cue up the crickets.

But even in victory there's still room to criticize this team fairly. And when I mean fairly- there's still plenty of room for improvement with this bunch. They've won three games- not a Super Bowl. Here's where I think the Lions could step it up:

1) The right side of the O line. Reynolds & Lucas pass blocking needs to step it up. It really punctuates the absence of Waddle in those situations. For far too many plays they seem a half step behind the other team's rusher and poor Matty Stafford's scrambling for his life. They do seem to do okay late in the game where run blocking is needed but that could also be because they platoon and the defense is getting gassed too.

2) Tahir Whitehead in the first quarter proved to me he's no Stephen Tulloch. That first drive orchestrated by the Jets scared me and I thought "damn, this is going to be a long ass afternoon especially if they continue to pound the ball like that". Sure a part of the blame goes to the front four but it's also up to the linebackers to fill those gaps. Ivory was running like a fiend and gashing us hard up the gut. Fortunately the defense stepped it up in the Red Zone and the Jets stalled but it very well could've been a day of ground and pound on us. Whitehead was also given the role to make the defensive calls- and that could've weighed heavily on him. I'm hoping he shakes the butterflies soon as he really needs to step up his game.

In the end we still came up in the W column. It was at the expense of a really bad Jets QB but against teams like that with obvious deficiencies we should feast on them. There's no weak ass mercy rule in this man's NFL.

I see a positive in the Lions being able to get 400 total yards in offense when it was obvious to the Jets that Johnson was a decoy and right tackle is a turnstile. So far, I see a more disciplined team than we had under Schwarz. Another ray of sunshine is that Waddle is getting better and Van Noy will add LB depth after the bye week. Also, Atlanta had their offensive line savaged by injuries in their loss to the Vikings. I will say with my 8-8 prediction, but like what I see with the Caldwell coaching staff. Maybe Mayhew made the pragmatic move with Suh. Long ago, I read that there was no possible way, due to the negative impact of high rookie contracts, to keep Johnson, Stafford and Suh. Although he does earn his pay, Suh has a personality that is best described as self-centered. Stafford, for all his "flaws" is a cool dude. So maybe the Lions should let Suh go to NYC to promote his career and hope that there is some fill in either next years draft or free agency. There will be a huge cap hit, but it will still be millions less than what is required to keep Suh. Anyhow, it is, at least, nice to have a Lions team that has to be taken seriously by most of the other NFL teams.

A fine victory and for the second straight week, and third time in four games, a time-killing drive at the end of the game.

Being able to close out a contest by controlling the clock is a new and refreshing trait, a trait I will do not mind seeing more of.

We need Waddle back, real bad, and a limping Calvin is ungood, toss in a brain bruised Bell and we have a slew of goo. The holes in the defensive backfield have not - yet - been exploited. We are missing Tulloch and that ain't looking solid.

people love to complain, more than sing praises, it is what humans do. Nothing to worry about.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast