Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default 2014 Detroit Lions

As promised, the Super Bowl has been played. Peyton Manning and his Broncos went down in flames at the Super Bowl as the Seahawks speedy defense turned the biggest game of the season into a laugher.

Our own 2013 season was disappointing to say the least for so many of us loyal Lions fans. We started last season like a house on fire and we were left with the ashes in the second half of the season.

But rather than re-live and flay the previous season, let's continue to move forward and discuss the Lions team the Ford family will put on the field in 2014. We've got new a new coach, new coordinators, an upcoming draft, and a whole host of other Lions related things to talk about.

All I ask is for lively discussion, some sense of civility, and a healthy respect to one another as we all have varying opinions of our team. Have some rationale for your points. Don't come here, blurt out some obvious statement, and dash off never to be heard from again. We have dialog & conversations here. Have some facts, stats, or at least some solid reasoning to back up your opinions.

But the over all gist of this thread is to cheer on this team, break down what we thought went well and what didn't go well with the team. Honest criticism can be healthy as long as it's framed properly.

The Lions, warts and all, are our team and we'll continue to cheer for the Honolulu Blue & Silver!

I will always Cheer for the Honolulu Blue and Silver, but Just remember that the owners are in it for the money. They make millions of dollars just to own a team. Just like an Owner of a race horse that runs in the derbies.

I was comparing our Lions to the Seahawks last night. The Seahawks moved like they were from another dimension, like they were hiding jet packs under their jerseys, like they knew what the Broncos were doing before the Broncos.

if the Seahawks are the new standard.

We stand no chance.

----
    thx Mr. Commissioner, another masterful thread opening.

We may have a choice with the first pick between Darqueze Dennard and Sammy Watkins. I think I'd go with Watkins. We need a receiver to complement Calvin. Dennard is a bit small and I'm not sure he can have the same success in the NFL. Lots of talent but can he cover the likes of Marshall, Jeffrey, Cobb etc. Also I think we need to move Suh, spread the money around to other areas of need. Too much money tied up in 3 players..

About time we ditched 2013. That year had the palatability of a Vaseline sandwich.

And I hate the current stupid ass Suh rumors heaved on as of late by Heath Evans about how he usurped Jim Schwartz' authority on the team. Hell, even Jim Schwartz from the creature comforts of Buffalo have denied them. We done making up lies and rumors of this guy? Honest sports journalism- where have you gone to?

I am somewhat optimistic.

Seattle, SF and Carolina are the best teams in the NFL, IMO, because they play football the old fashioned way - beat the crap out of the other guys till the say in the immortal words of Johnny Rocco "hey, do I really want to be here?"

For the longest time, the Lions have tried to copy the latest trick such as West Toast, Run and shit, or Bend and Break that seems to allow wee men to beat big men

Although he has made mistakes, I feel that Mayhew et al have added players on the DL and OL that need not "finesse" to succeed.

I am not the "get another receiver" at all costs bandwagon. The Lions need to back up the DL with back seven brutes who make you pay for your QB dumping off short to avoid a hit.

They also need to make Stafford a game managing QB who can beat a defense after it has been punished by your OL.

So why some optimism?

Caldwell used that offensive approach when the Ravens made their Super Bowl run.

The Raven defense was successful by utilizing a very aggressive back 7. And we have their secondary coach as our DC.

And Lombardi might be one of these guys who can design offenses tailored to what he has got, rather than fitting to system.

The negative I see is that Mayhew et al have continued the Lion legacy of devoting high draft picks and salary cap to those one or two skill position players who will put them to the next level.

The next level is attained by loading up a foundation of talent in the trenches of the OL and DL.

I cross my fingers and just keep on having faith, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    I am not the "get another receiver" at all costs bandwagon. The Lions need to back up the DL with back seven brutes who make you pay for your QB dumping off short to avoid a hit.

They also need to make Stafford a game managing QB who can beat a defense after it has been punished by your OL.

So why some optimism?

Caldwell used that offensive approach when the Ravens made their Super Bowl run.

The Raven defense was successful by utilizing a very aggressive back 7. And we have their secondary coach as our DC.

And Lombardi might be one of these guys who can design offenses tailored to what he has got, rather than fitting to system.

The negative I see is that Mayhew et al have continued the Lion legacy of devoting high draft picks and salary cap to those one or two skill position players who will put them to the next level.

The next level is attained by loading up a foundation of talent in the trenches of the OL and DL.

It would be foolish to get a OL or DL player with #10, great guys at those positions can be found later. A shut-down corner or another WR are what the Lions really need, and as far as I can tell, there is not a shut-down corner available. They can probably get a decent corner in the second. If I were running this draft, I would seriously consider trading down, especially with the pending cap issues

History repeats how many times they have tried drafting an elite winning QB [[Stafford, Harrington, Ware, Peete, Batch) & were unsuccessful.....they need to give Kellen Moore a real chance to win the starting job.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    History repeats how many times they have tried drafting an elite winning QB [[Stafford, Harrington, Ware, Peete, Batch) & were unsuccessful.....they need to give Kellen Moore a real chance to win the starting job.
    Batch was a second-round pick, Peete was a sixth-round pick. Ware was very rarely used by Wayne Fontes, Harrington may have been a victim of an abysmal O-line and a new coach who couldn't stand him. None of them had the tools Stafford has. at the end of the season, he had a hobbled CJ and his #2 target was out do to a pizza injury. The rest of the squad had lead hands.

Moore wasn't drafted by any team​. there's probably a reason for that

Cantor Gaming, which runs most of the sports books in Las Vegas, has the Lions at 30-1 to win the 2015 Super Bowl in Glendale, Arizona [[Phoenix burb).

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    It would be foolish to get a OL or DL player with #10, great guys at those positions can be found later. A shut-down corner or another WR are what the Lions really need, and as far as I can tell, there is not a shut-down corner available. They can probably get a decent corner in the second. If I were running this draft, I would seriously consider trading down, especially with the pending cap issues
    I would like to see either a LB with blitzing capability, a shut down corner or a huge safety like the one Seattle has. WR might have to be covered by FA, if the Lions can get cap room.

Number 1 picks under Mayhew et al:

Stafford

Suh

Reiff

Fairly

Ansah

So the trenches are not being ignored.

A major test of Caldwell et al will be motivating and coaching up Fairly. IMO, he is playing way under what he could be.

And they have done well with Warford, Waddle and, possibly Austin. So keeping Washburn as OL coach is a good sign. Good coaches leave a sinking ship.

And in regards to the head coach position; the Lions went from College Coach Phase [[Rogers) to the Promising Assistant Phase [[Wayne Fontes) to the Guy Who Has Done It Before Phase [[Bobby Ross) back to the Assistant Phase [[Gary Moeller, Marty Mornhinweg) back to Done It Before Phase [[Steve Mariucci) back to Assistant Phase [[Dick Jauron, Rod Marinelli, Jim Schwartz) and now back to Done It Before Phase.....

Moore wasn't drafted by any team​. there's probably a reason for that
    Because of his height.....appears Russell Wilson at 5'11" proved many wrong & is the "real deal" [[3rd round/12th pick).

Stafford....tools......look at his losing record [[24W 38L .387%). Stafford is 1W-23L against teams with a Winning Record.

GUSHI Guest

Yes but he is 23 w and 15 l aganist teams with losing records.

Because of his height.....appears Russell Wilson at 5'11" proved many wrong & is the "real deal" [[3rd round/12th pick).

Stafford....tools......look at his losing record [[24W 38L .387%). Stafford is 1W-23L against teams with a Winning Record.

How many would contend that Wilson won because of what was around him as opposed to his own innate talent?

Don't get me wrong; I ain't baggin' on the guy but Russell Wilson isn't someone I'd catapult to being an elite QB just yet. I get it that he just won the Super Bowl last night but let's also be honest in the sense that he didn't exactly light up the stat charts. I'd even contend that you put Wilson on a mediocre team, he'd be average at best. Surround him with a solid team like the Seahawks [[and their faster than sh!t defense) and he manages just fine.

Wilson's an up and coming QB but ask how many GMs in the league would take him over Stafford and I think the number would be fewer than one would expect.

And in regards to the head coach position; the Lions went from College Coach Phase [[Rogers) to the Promising Assistant Phase [[Wayne Fontes) to the Guy Who Has Done It Before Phase [[Bobby Ross) back to the Assistant Phase [[Gary Moeller, Marty Mornhinweg) back to Done It Before Phase [[Steve Mariucci) back to Assistant Phase [[Dick Jauron, Rod Marinelli, Jim Schwartz) and now back to Done It Before Phase.....
    It's the same damn clique that circles around and around. Having a decent innovative coach come out of nowhere is a rarity nowadays. I'm not saying it's the Old Boys Club but it sure seems that way at times.

It's called training camp. I don't think given a fair shot Kellen Moore stands a chance at unseating Stafford. He was nifty in college breaking a handful of records but the transition to NFL isn't going to be kind. The few snaps I saw him play in last year's pre-season didn't impress upon me he was going to climb up the pecking order.

At best I'd let him be the holder for field goals. I've always liked the idea that even if the ball is muffed on a hold, he'd hopefully have the arm to toss it out of bounds or improvise a play. Seeing what poor Sam Martin, a punter did in that Pittsburgh game was tragic. I like QBs being holders.

Was there any inclination that Kellen Moore wasn't given a fair shake at the starting quarterback position?

I completely understand the Lions have paid an enormous salary to Matthew Stafford but there's a reason for it as well. He's proven without a shadow of a doubt that he's their best chance to win games. Does he always succeed? No, but then has Kellen Moore shown anything of substance in the camps to usurp Matthew Stafford's position?

And like rb336 stated earlier about Kellen Moore's stock in the NFL isn't exactly at its apex. Other NFL teams saw him in college and no one picked him up. Detroit's taking a long shot with him [[as is most teams with young third string QBs) that he might develop into a serviceable arm- at best. Being serviceable and an NFL starter are two entirely different worlds. I'm not sure where your blind confidence in Kellen Moore came from.

That's all that we Lions fans can have at this time of the season. There's no football to be played for quite awhile. I'm shocked at the amount of discussion that this thread has generated since I started it a day or two ago.

Thanks for joining the discussions, Pickford-Bentler. I hope you'll become a regular now as I think you've got some solid points backed with some facts and really astute observations.

I would like to see either a LB with blitzing capability, a shut down corner or a huge safety like the one Seattle has. WR might have to be covered by FA, if the Lions can get cap room.

Number 1 picks under Mayhew et al:

Stafford

Suh

Reiff

Fairly

Ansah

So the trenches are not being ignored.
    Mayhew's first round picks haven't been the problem. It's a lot of his second and third round picks that haven't panned out. Players like Louis Delmas, Jordan Dizon, Kevin Smith, Andre Fluellen, Amari Spievey, Titus Young, Mikel LeShoure, Ryan Broyles, and Dwight Bentley haven't panned out. Granted some of them have been due to injuries. Other teams, whether by skill or dumb luck have managed to find gems in those rounds. Those teams' later round picks have first round talent.

A major test of Caldwell et al will be motivating and coaching up Fairly. IMO, he is playing way under what he could be.

And they have done well with Warford, Waddle and, possibly Austin. So keeping Washburn as OL coach is a good sign. Good coaches leave a sinking ship.
    It does seem that the last few years, Mayhew did strike some gold with the Warfords & Waddles of the lot, but we really need to do better than that. I'm also left to think was it because of Xander heading up and re-arranging the scouting staff? It very well could be that we suddenly have a better evaluator of talent in the front office now.

Again, off season optimism here!

Where do they get their balls big enough to increase season ticket prices by an average of 8.2%? In a league that makes money over fist and still somehow remains tax exempt? Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Where do they get their balls big enough to increase season ticket prices by an average of 8.2%? In a league that makes money over fist and still somehow remains tax exempt? Disgusting.
    The logic is: pay more to come watch them loose more, look at Stafford's record against winning teams, fans will actually pay more to watch premium teams win......LOL!

The logic is: pay more to come watch them loose more, look at Stafford's record against winning teams, fans will actually pay more to watch premium teams win......LOL!
    do you ever have anything intelligent to add to any conversation?

The Detroit Lions are much closer to a Super Bowl than many of the haters would care to believe. They are a CB and a WR, along with Stafford learning to audible at the line and learning when to throw the ball away, from being in the big game. They will assuredly make the playoffs this coming season, with a championship to follow within the next 3 seasons. You heard it here first.

do you ever have anything intelligent to add to any conversation?
    What? You mean the call for Kellen Moore to be starting QB isn't brilliant?

But seriously I don't have an issue debating that point but give us something with some more meat on it as opposed to just spouting that off. Did one see Moore throw a long ball with some authority in practice? Did Moore show something of note in a pre-season game? Hell, give us his vaunted college stats at least to back that ludicrous claim up. Step up your game and bring something of note here.

We might be beleaguered Lions slappies but we want some substance to your arguments!

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast