Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by prodigal son View Post
    The Detroit Lions are much closer to a Super Bowl than many of the haters would care to believe. They are a CB and a WR, along with Stafford learning to audible at the line and learning when to throw the ball away, from being in the big game. They will assuredly make the playoffs this coming season, with a championship to follow within the next 3 seasons. You heard it here first.
    A couple of famous people - not Detroiters, we know better - have actually bet that Detroit would go to the SB next year. This is the best team they have had in my life, and the NFL is a fickle thing.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigal son View Post
    The Detroit Lions are much closer to a Super Bowl than many of the haters would care to believe. They are a CB and a WR, along with Stafford learning to audible at the line and learning when to throw the ball away, from being in the big game. They will assuredly make the playoffs this coming season, with a championship to follow within the next 3 seasons. You heard it here first.
    I agree with you.

I took the Lions at 2:1 in Vegas [[right before the season started) to make the playoffs and thought for most of the season that it was going to be...

I don't think the Lions are much from being a good team.

I too agree a nice WR, e.g., Sammy Watkins, to balance CJ and a little bit of defensive help.

The NFL is very balanced.

BTW, I agree that Seattle's QB, Wilson, is lucky to be playing for an excellent team. Put him on a 4 - 12 team and he wouldn't look so great.

Wilson has very good pocket presence, escape ability, and a knack for hitting receivers on the money while running to his right or left. A guy can keep the sticks moving is a good compliment to a defense that gets lots of three and outs.

Stafford has poor pocket escape ability. That is one area he lags Aaron Rodgers a lot. The other being accuracy. However, his arm strength is a weapon, if a hard running game can bring up the defensive back 7. So I feel how the Ravens utilized Flacco is the best way to go with Stafford.

I can see the point of another WR with speed/strength {needed to break getting bumped at the line} who can get behind the safety. Stafford will never be the guy who can keep on making 10 yard throws to keep the sticks moving. That has to be accomplished by more imagination than shown by the outgoing OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    The logic is: pay more to come watch them loose more, look at Stafford's record against winning teams, fans will actually pay more to watch premium teams win......LOL!
    Loose is an adjective as in "The ball gets knocked loose from Stafford. Bears football!"
    Lose is a verb as in "Lions lose 34-24."

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I don't think the Lions are much from being a good team.
    Taking an 0-16 team to being pretty good isn't that tough given some of the ridiculously high draft picks we have. We're a decent team. It's that step from being pretty decent to elite is the one that's a bitch. And then to step up to Super Bowl worthy is even tougher. Want to talk about winning it all? Now that takes skill, amazing luck, lack of injuries, cunning, and all sorts of other things to fall into place.

We're lucky to have a few of those things fall into our laps. And that's why we're just a decent team. We're not elite yet based upon what we saw last year- but toss in some of that fuzzy, luck and who knows where this team can go?

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    Stafford has poor pocket escape ability. That is one area he lags Aaron Rodgers a lot. The other being accuracy. However, his arm strength is a weapon, if a hard running game can bring up the defensive back 7. So I feel how the Ravens utilized Flacco is the best way to go with Stafford.
    The one thing that Stafford didn't do much of this year was utilize his quick release. Remember when his O-line was a bit questionable and he had to do quick passes? Was it me or did they forego that option this year?

I agree that we need to control the ball better. Quicker reads and moving the chains as opposed to monstrous chunks of yardage is a better choice. I think if we can be a little more innovative with the run game, it's going to help. I was so tired of seeing third and longs this last year. It was obvious and so telegraphed [[Stafford to Johnson in a 22 man coverage).

Something for the masses to mull over here. Next month free agency hits and we still have three guys who are eligible.

Brandon Pettigrew
    Rashean Mathis
    Willie Young

Any thoughts as to who should be retained? At a pay increase? Decrease? Or do we just cut bait and see what else is out there? Thoughts & discussions please.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Something for the masses to mull over here. Next month free agency hits and we still have three guys who are eligible.

Brandon Pettigrew
    Rashean Mathis
    Willie Young

Any thoughts as to who should be retained? At a pay increase? Decrease? Or do we just cut bait and see what else is out there? Thoughts & discussions please.
    I would cut Pettigrew and keep Mathis and Young.

Before he became left tackle, Rieff was used as a 6th blocker. Waddle can play either left or right tackle. So an innovative OC can come up with power blocking schemes, if Pettigrew's blocking skills can not be replace by the rookie they put on IR or a draft with some solid prospects.

Mathis - the Lions secondary sucks and he rated the highest. Beggars can't be choosy here

Young - cap issues might allow him to walk. I would keep him, if possible, to eliminate a draft need. If he does walk, then that top rated LB with pass rush skills becomes a target in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I was comparing our Lions to the Seahawks last night. The Seahawks moved like they were from another dimension, like they were hiding jet packs under their jerseys, like they knew what the Broncos were doing before the Broncos.

if the Seahawks are the new standard.

We stand no chance.

----
    thx Mr. Commissioner, another masterful thread opening.
    Their defense was a beautiful thing to behold. I daydream about the Lions looking that good.

Brandon Pettigrew
    Rashean Mathis
    Willie Young

Surprised they signed Raiola to another year.....

Not me. He's a solid center

Brandon Pettigrew
    Rashean Mathis
    Willie Young

Pettigrew can go as soon as possible. I won't miss him.

Alrighty, I'll bite... WHY were you surprised he was signed?

And I'm willing to give you the reasons to why I'm glad they signed him to another one year deal. You're more than welcome to lance any of my arguments if you can.

The man put on an additional 20 lbs. over the last off season to be a bit beefier. He obviously heard the knocks that he was too small of a center. Tacking on the extra weight put him well within the range of most centers in the league. He himself was not responsible for a single sack. He and his line mates allowed the second least amount of sacks in the NFL despite having some youngsters in the mix. He's as durable as they come too; he played every snap last season and hasn't missed a snap in nearly five years. According to Pro Football Focus they considered him to being the second best center in the NFL- not just the NFC North, not just the conference, but the whole freakin' National Football League.

And the Lions only signed him to a one year deal.

So tell me why your infinite wisdom is shocked at the signing again? G'wan... take your time. I'm waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    I would cut Pettigrew and keep Mathis and Young.

Before he became left tackle, Rieff was used as a 6th blocker. Waddle can play either left or right tackle. So an innovative OC can come up with power blocking schemes, if Pettigrew's blocking skills can not be replace by the rookie they put on IR or a draft with some solid prospects.

Mathis - the Lions secondary sucks and he rated the highest. Beggars can't be choosy here

Young - cap issues might allow him to walk. I would keep him, if possible, to eliminate a draft need. If he does walk, then that top rated LB with pass rush skills becomes a target in the draft.
    Pettigrew I'm on the fence with. He's still a helluva decent blocker that can go out and catch a short one. He stunk it up early last year but became pretty reliable towards the end of the season. I sure as hell wouldn't break the bank or go long term on the guy. Looking back at him, being taken in the first round for his level of production really makes him look bad though.

Mathis was serviceable. He's a little long in the tooth but I agree with you. He's the best we've got so far. He was reliable but nothing to write home about. Maybe a one year deal with some incentives or an option??

Now Willie Young? Interesting here. He was good; not great but I'm wondering if we roll the dice and let him walk. We never did see how Jason Jones would've fared so I'd check on his rehab and then make a decision. If Jones is solid and trending well- it might be time to say adieu with Willie Young. And Jason Jones is one year younger than Young too. Devin Taylor seemed to be working out well too so...

But who knows? We've got new people in the coaching staff and they might have different plans and schemes where all of these guys can be re-purposed. Or they just might want to cut bait with all of them and get in their own players to fit their own schemes. I'm basing a lot of my opinions on the premise of playing under the old Schwartz schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Their defense was a beautiful thing to behold. I daydream about the Lions looking that good.
    I'll admit it. I swooned too. That speed was something magical to behold. And I even shed a small tear for Cliff Avril. He was a good guy who never rocked the boat here and I felt good for the cat. Seattle made it work and they made Denver look like powder puff.

From a watchability standpoint, it was in the can by the first half. Denver had no solutions to Seattle. Being a fan of neither team, it wasn't an epic battle like I expected from the two best teams left.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    From a watchability standpoint, it was in the can by the first half. Denver had no solutions to Seattle. Being a fan of neither team, it wasn't an epic battle like I expected from the two best teams left.
    Average number of wins by the teams Denver beat in the regular season[[except Philly, who they beat while Vick was still QB and the team was floundering): 5.5. 5 of the teams they beat while running up PM's record season were WAY at the bottom of the pass defense stats.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Not me. He's a solid center
    He's actually become a really solid center. I'm wondering why at this stage of his career he's suddenly found a resurgence of dedication and energy. I thought he played a solid season; he made some calls on that line that probably saved Matthew Stafford some lost yardage. Seeing as how good he is now in the twilight of his career, it really makes me wonder if he had put this sort of effort into being in shape earlier on in his career- he very well could've been elite.

But that's the advantage of time and maturity.

Dom's always been a polarizing figure for this team, but I don't think anyone can ever question his effort. He definitely is one to leave it all out there on the field.

And knowing that Dom's probably got another year at most after this year, I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions addressing his replacement in the upcoming draft. It's nothing against Raiola now but it never hurts to start grooming your replacement with real games. I think Backus lingering around a little longer has helped Reiff out quite a bit.

Detroit Lions seasonal games will improve better than last couple of season. They will finish 10-6. Make the playoffs, but lost in the second round. They are not Super Bowl ready. Give it about 15 years and they will win their first bowl game.

He's actually become a really solid center. I'm wondering why at this stage of his career he's suddenly found a resurgence of dedication and energy.
    I don't think it is that, I think it is that he finally has some talent around him

I don't think it is that, I think it is that he finally has some talent around him
    Peterman? Cherilus? and even the old warrior Jeff Backus. God love them for their effort but I'm inclined to agree with rb336 here that Raiola's finally got some agile beef in the line with him. Sure, putting on a few extra pounds didn't hurt Dom but as an offensive line, I can't recall a better Lions' bunch than I did last year. That's not saying a helluva lot but for the Lions, they did pretty darn well and was one of the better units. There was some agility and some steam rolling with Warford & Waddle- something we haven't seen in these parts in a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroit Lions seasonal games will improve better than last couple of season. They will finish 10-6. Make the playoffs, but lost in the second round. They are not Super Bowl ready. Give it about 15 years and they will win their first bowl game.
    Damn- lookit Danny go making predictions long before the Commish is even asking for them! Smoggy- book this one! He's the first one for 2014 but guaranteed he's not gonna be the last.

I'm hoping Brother Gnome's re-calibrating his Miss Cleo turban and getting it ready to make some serious bold ass predictions this year. I'll be pulling out the voodoo powder, tarot cards, ouija board, crystal ball, & bunions and see what sort of prognostication powers I can summon this year.

Burleson AND Delmas gone as of today. Damn. Not shocking as I think they might be back at a cheaper rate but still kinda shocking considering they were the vocal leaders in the locker room. I always loved how forthright Nate was to talking the good talk so I'm hoping he lingers in some form or capacity.

He also seemed to embrace the area so the love is returned to guys like him.

Burleson AND Delmas gone as of today. Damn. Not shocking as I think they might be back at a cheaper rate but still kinda shocking considering they were the vocal leaders in the locker room. I always loved how forthright Nate was to talking the good talk so I'm hoping he lingers in some form or capacity.

He also seemed to embrace the area so the love is returned to guys like him.
    I am sad to see both of them go. Nate was having a good year until he broke his arm. Delmas, however, seems a bit fragile. Now if they could trade Suh...

I am sad to see both of them go. Nate was having a good year until he broke his arm. Delmas, however, seems a bit fragile. Now if they could trade Suh...
    Don't be surprised if Nate comes back at a dirt cheap price. He seemed to take it in stride and he understands the business side of things. Beyond his play last season, Nate seems like a pretty sharp guy who has an exit strategy from his playing days.

Heard that Delmas was shopping his services with Pittsburgh & Denver so his tenure could be done.

Suh- on the other hand is a dilemma for me. I understand his value. He's crazy ass gifted and a force. But he's also like one helluva nice car in a garage that can hold so many nice cars. We just might not be able to afford him for the betterment of the team's overall health. He chews up just far too much salary cap. If this wasn't a cap issue, he'd be locked up in a heartbeat- but again... it's the business of the NFL.

Don't be surprised if Nate comes back at a dirt cheap price. He seemed to take it in stride and he understands the business side of things. Beyond his play last season, Nate seems like a pretty sharp guy who has an exit strategy from his playing days.

Heard that Delmas was shopping his services with Pittsburgh & Denver so his tenure could be done.

Suh- on the other hand is a dilemma for me. I understand his value. He's crazy ass gifted and a force. But he's also like one helluva nice car in a garage that can hold so many nice cars. We just might not be able to afford him for the betterment of the team's overall health. He chews up just far too much salary cap. If this wasn't a cap issue, he'd be locked up in a heartbeat- but again... it's the business of the NFL.
    Suh, according to the radio this afternoon, won't even tell the Lions officially who his agent is. That's pretty telling. I'd bet a trade is likely, sooner than later. You don't disrespect the team in that manner and expect to stay long.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast