Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bob Dylan Chrysler Commercial Super Bowl

Thoughts on the Bob Dylan Chrysler Super Bowl commercial? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHRVoshCwrw
    I think nothing beats the 2011 Born Of Fire ad...this was ok. It still promoted Detroit, but I kinda wished they left the slogan as "Imported From Detroit" instead of changing it to "America's Import."

"Let Switzerland build your watch" Was that an accidental shot at Shinola?

I didn't like the ad. Never got the whole Dylan is a genius thing and I really don't see how him selling out for a car ad comes across as sincere.

I was VERY disappointed that they threw out the tagline "Imported from Detroit". I understand this wasn't going to last forever, but they still talked about "imported" something. I am not even sure I understand what "America's Import" means.. Shouldn't it be "America's Export"?

To add to all this.. They moved the corporate headquarters to the Netherlands... All this in one week. It hurts a bit. Does this mean Sergio is no longer going to be living and working in Metro Detroit?

This was one of the worst years for commercials. The Audi one with the big headed dog was probably the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    To add to all this.. They moved the corporate headquarters to the Netherlands... All this in one week. It hurts a bit. Does this mean Sergio is no longer going to be living and working in Metro Detroit?
    Where did you get that impression?

What they did to the Netherlands is no different than having Ford and GM incorporated in Delaware.

No moving of headcount at all...

Hey, not the best, but a good point was made. We need more of this for all products.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Hey, not the best, but a good point was made. We need more of this for all products.
    I agree,between that one and the Coke remake of the "I want to buy the world a coke",I am not sure the 20 or 30 somethings would understand it and the rest of 1/2 time seemed to be geared towards them.

Being owned LSB by Fiat,you really got to give them credit for how they portrayed the image and made it clear that it is still an American image as Chrysler's identity will always be Detroit,if not it will be lost in the crowd.

Since the venue I was watching the spot had a lot of noise going on, I had a tough time figuring out what was going on ... honestly, I thought the spot had something to do with an old lesbian.

not that old lesbians can't drive cars, some of the best drivers are old lesbians, if I needed a driver I would hire a bunch of old lesbians, but boy oh boy, I would not use an old lesbian to promote my new car.

So it was my mistake in not knowing what Bob Dylan looks like nowadays.

however, it does bring up a larger issue about tv spots for the Superbowl. Make them visually understandable. Like a silent movie. Super Bowl venues are loud and not a lot of folks can hear what is going on.

There were two commercials I could "get" without having to hear the audio: the oikos yogurt spot and the Doritos spot with the little girl riding her dog and beating up her brother the bully.

Watching the spot on Y'all Tube, I found it a bit too schmaltzy & tear jerking. I Like America, and Detroit and all, but I'd rather have Chrysler tell me that I'd get 175K out of their ride like I have on my current hooptie.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Watching the spot on Y'all Tube, I found it a bit too schmaltzy & tear jerking. I Like America, and Detroit and all, but I'd rather have Chrysler tell me that I'd get 175K out of their ride like I have on my current hooptie.
    I don't mind the schmaltz... I'll take that over the silly Larry Fishburn/Matrix debacle. My issue was Dylan's overall appearance. I mean he looked like a computer generated cartoon version or a walking corpse. And is he that unintelligible he has to lipsync his own speaking parts? It just looked all wrong when he was talking and on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    There were two commercials I could "get" without having to hear the audio: the oikos yogurt spot and the Doritos spot with the little girl riding her dog and beating up her brother the bully.
    FWIW, Those were both boys...
    Both kids then rush the car to get the chips. A 5-year-old boy riding a large dog ultimately prevails after he lassos the package away from his brother.

Read more: http://ktla.com/2014/02/02/local-fam...#ixzz2sGaDdmJ6

My personal favorite was the Maserati Ghibli ad [[which is also Chrysler). Total surprise, no hype, no early leak or announcement... just a really great ad.
    Last edited by bailey; February-03-14 at 08:49 AM.

It was boring and forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    It was boring and forgettable.
    Fairly indicative of the game and commercials.

There were only two commercials that were winners in my book - the Doritos cowboy/dog ad and the Jaguar ad

They're full of it.

We were told to believe that Toyota's are foreign even if they're built here. So under the Big-Three logic Chysler's are now foreign cars. We should only be buying from the Big-Two.

But to the commercial, it wasn't very inspiring. Dylan doesn't really connect with their target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Fairly indicative of the game and commercials.
    That's true.

I think he's staying here..he's building a giant house right by my parents' house in Commerce Twp. I think it's on Lower Straights Lake.

Chrysler deserves to rot away. Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to attract young car purchasers by using a washed up 1960s folk singer to promote an Italian owned corporation for a "Made In The USA / Detroit" commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In MI View Post
    Chrysler deserves to rot away. Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to attract young car purchasers by using a washed up 1960s folk singer to promote an Italian owned corporation for a "Made In The USA / Detroit" commercial.
    And yet here we are, for the past 7 1/2 hours, talking about it.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-03-14 at 03:20 PM.

Because Bob Dylan is considered one of the legends of music, whether you like him or not. I'm in college now and inside our student union building there's a giant mural of Bob Dylan. He still resonates, even with the younger crowd of my age.

I was VERY disappointed that they threw out the tagline "Imported from Detroit". I understand this wasn't going to last forever, but they still talked about "imported" something. I am not even sure I understand what "America's Import" means.. Shouldn't it be "America's Export"?
    Yes, I completely agree...I don't really like America's Import and I was hoping the Imported From Detroit would last longer. I guess they're trying to sound patriotic or whatever now that they're no longer an American owned company...

Quote Originally Posted by detroitpride313 View Post
    Yes, I completely agree...I don't really like America's Import and I was hoping the Imported From Detroit would last longer. I guess they're trying to sound patriotic or whatever now that they're no longer an American owned company...
    Yes, the times they are a changin'.....

If you look at other cars that even though they are now made in the US it still registers as a import.To me Toyota is still a Japanese car,Mercedes is German etc.

In the future one could look at Chrysler and know it is now owned by a foreign company and view it as a foreign import,but it is not because it is imported from Detroit.

I am older with extra income so maybe I will buy a new Chrysler then bump up to a entry level Maserati made in Detroit in the future ,maybe that was the demographic they were after,the older expendable income type.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If you look at other cars that even though they are now made in the US it still registers as a import.To me Toyota is still a Japanese car,Mercedes is German etc.

In the future one could look at Chrysler and know it is now owned by a foreign company and view it as a foreign import,but it is not because it is imported from Detroit.

I am older with extra income so maybe I will buy a new Chrysler then bump up to a entry level Maserati made in Detroit in the future ,maybe that was the demographic they were after,the older expendable income type.
    The ad was used to promote the new 200 so that's definitely not the demographic they were after. It was a convoluted message and the part about buying everything else foreign as long as you buy your car from Detroit was especially the wrong message when people are just now thinking about looking for the Made in America label once again.

GUSHI Guest

Best commerical Radio Shack

As I mentioned, not a great ad. But a washed up 1960's folk singer? I guarantee, Dylan will be remembered long after the vehicle he was hired to promote has long been forgotten.
    Young car purchasers? If you have any idea of how the advertising industry works, they do extensive research into the demographics they're attempting to reach. Is it possible that they were possibly trying to touch a chord with people other than young car purchasers. Perhaps attempting to broaden their market.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast