Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default City Property Taxes went UP! WT?????

After years of paying more than double of my neighbors, last year I was able to get the city tax review board to lower my taxes to slightly more than what my adjacent neighbors pay.

I had not even gotten a chance to pay on them yet when I got my new, "Mike Duggan Approved" tax assessment and my property taxes have increased by 60% over what I got them lowered to.

It's time to bail on this city.

He has been in office less then 30 days,hardly enough time to redo and implement an entire tax structure.

If one looks back at all of the major complaint posts,from street lights all the way to the top,80% are either being handled or addressed positively in one form or another.

That is a huge jump in a short amount of time,maybe try to look at the positive once in awhile.

This tax re-assessment was a Mike Duggan Special from the hand of the savoir himself.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...essments-5-20-

So why not just appeal the assessment this year? Seems easier [[albeit less dramatic) than moving.

It will take years in this town before the left hand and the right hand recognize the other one actually exists.

The property tax reforms proposed by the Duggan administration are long overdue. The deformations of the city's extremely outdated assessment and taxing system have been crying to be addressed for several decades now. This is sort of a 'blunt instrument' approach [[in a city that just plain doesn't have the resources to undertake the reassessment that's really needed), but it is a start in what is undoubtedly the right direction.

Hopefully actual collections will increase somewhat, and it will help buoy the real estate market, as theorized. But the plain fact remains that the city is broke, beset with aging systems and deeply reduced staffing, and has ever fewer and poorer property owners to collect from. Somebody has to pay somewhere.

Of course our state could reform its system away from a local property tax based system, which leaves poor and aging communities in an almost inescapable cycle of getting even poorer. But that doesn't seem to be in the cards. The state even cheated us and reneged on their own revenue sharing agreement, and handed us a bankruptcy dictatorship instead. Would be nice if we actually got some help from Lansing in running the city [[like, say, property reassessment), rather than making sure that we don't cost them anything.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-01-14 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    This tax re-assessment was a Mike Duggan Special from the hand of the savoir himself.

Wow, the new mayor personally assessed your house immediately upon taking office and raised your taxes. Or given the timing, he must have started it before taking office. What did you do to piss him off?

I'd be upset too, but I think I'd simply appeal it.

Were there major improvements done to the property since last year? I thought there was a state enforced limit on how large an annual increase there could be on property taxes?

It would be great if the governor initiated a discussion of moving away from local property taxes to support local governments and schools. A graduated income tax might help. Or a sales tax at a very low rate that covered all purchases.
    Given sharp population declines, many cities and school districts no long have
    a sufficient tax base.

From the link you provided.

City residents will begin to receive notices within the next two weeks. Tax changes will not occur until people pay their summer taxes in June. Residents will see another dip in taxes in December.

Council President Brenda Jones said she and her colleagues have been pushing for relief for years. She urged residents to hold on and not leave the city without giving its leaders a chance.

“You’ve also long heard a change is coming. The change is here,” Jones said Monday. “This city has changed, and this city is changing, and we’ll continue to make the necessary changes that we need to see this city grow and to improve.”

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    It would be great if the governor initiated a discussion of moving away from local property taxes to support local governments and schools. A graduated income tax might help. Or a sales tax at a very low rate that covered all purchases.
    Given sharp population declines, many cities and school districts no long have
    a sufficient tax base.
    You're barking up the wrong tree if you think this governor would do anything sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    From the link you provided.

City residents will begin to receive notices within the next two weeks. Tax changes will not occur until people pay their summer taxes in June. Residents will see another dip in taxes in December.

Council President Brenda Jones said she and her colleagues have been pushing for relief for years. She urged residents to hold on and not leave the city without giving its leaders a chance.

“You’ve also long heard a change is coming. The change is here,” Jones said Monday. “This city has changed, and this city is changing, and we’ll continue to make the necessary changes that we need to see this city grow and to improve.”

Looks like they raised my taxes 60% so they can cut them by 20% in the summer.

Looks like they raised my taxes 60% so they can cut them by 20% in the summer.
    They raised your taxes 60%? If so, that seems like a mistake. Just appeal it.

Where do you live?

My taxes went down 5% - 10% in EEV. Can't complain.

All decisions made by the Board of Review are binding for the current assessment year only. You have to repeat the Board of Review process again the following year if you think the new assessment is too high.

OK, just to be clear, did they raise the rate of your levy or the assessment of your property? They're two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    OK, just to be clear, did they raise the rate of your levy or the assessment of your property? They're two different things.
    Agree.... youre taxable assessment CANNOT be raised more than 5% by state law [[it can be lowered by a larger amount however). Now granted there are some special assessments, such as school assessments that can be factored into this, but still, that should NOT make for such a large increase.

I think Douglasm has identified that you are reading the wrong figure... or there is an error in your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You're barking up the wrong tree if you think this governor would do anything sensible.
    Give me a break

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Agree.... youre taxable assessment CANNOT be raised more than 5% by state law [[it can be lowered by a larger amount however). Now granted there are some special assessments, such as school assessments that can be factored into this, but still, that should NOT make for such a large increase.

I think Douglasm has identified that you are reading the wrong figure... or there is an error in your assessment.
    Or he's making the entire thing up because he's not a Duggan supporter?....? Maybe?

That's what I was wondering. Sounds like an error in assessment. I'd be safe in betting that your taxes probably went up the maximum. Out here in Washington, the little town I'm a councilman in takes their 1%.....what we're allowed.....every year because if we skip a year, we can't get it back by going to 2% the next year. And I doubt your school levy went up without a vote, so look at your assessment and challenge it.

A question, though. In Michigan does the city do the assessment or the county? Out here, it's the county that does it, because they collect the taxes then dole them out to the various jurisdictions.
    Last edited by douglasm; February-01-14 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Or he's making the entire thing up because he's not a Duggan supporter?....? Maybe?
    Or maybe he's a shape-shifting reptilian humanoid from outer space trying to sow discord among Detroit's human populace.

A 60% increase doesn't make sense because even if the assessed value went up that much, the taxable value can't increase more than 5%. But for those interested in appealing their assessed value, here's a good outline of how to do that.

http://propertytaxappealinstitute.co...-appeal-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Give me a break
    Just because everyone isn't a Snyder nut-hugger, don't disparage my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Just because everyone isn't a Snyder nut-hugger, don't disparage my opinion.
    So your response is to disparage Snyder AND everyone that likes him??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    So your response is to disparage Snyder AND everyone that likes him??
    He made his response, I made mine.

City Property Taxes went UP! WT?????

I told you so...I told you so...I told you so...

Last edited by Dan Wesson; February-02-14 at 05:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast