Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Rochelle Riley: Continue to bankroll the Wright Museum

http://www.freep.com/article/2014013...ankruptcy-plan

After a blissful hiatus, Rochelle Riley has come back to shit out a banal and fact-devoid column of pleasantries.

One of Detroit's many little secrets is that it has been providing the Charles H. Wright Museum with over $1,000,000 per year from city coffers. Riley and others seem to imply this continue, despite inevitable pensioner haircuts, the DIA raising $100,000,000 simply to not be gutted, and the Detroit Historical Museum willfully surrendering the meager city funding it used to get.

So why does the Charles H. Wright get special treatment? Well, I think we know the answer to that. Racial politics.

For the record, I think we absolutely should have an African-American History Museum, and am delighted that we have one in the city. However:
    1) If you want me to get into the specifics, I can, but while the Charles H. Wright is decent quality, it is a sometimes baffling mix of history and traditional Black Nationalism.
    2) The building is simply far too large to be sustained. It was too grandiose project. There are plenty of ethnic museums throughout the United States which are much more modest and sustainable affairs.
    3) Like the DIA and the DHM, which found creative ways to obtain funding to stay viable, totally independent of the City, they should too. There should actually be outrage that a city with abysmal services has been providing the CHW with millions of dollars each year - far more than the DIA and DHM combined, have received.

Leave it to Riley and her combination of laziness and deceit to leave out these critical details.

There is also a bit of creative deceit on the part of the CHW. They claim they can afford programming but not operations. While some grants and funds are earmarked, the fact of the matter is, most Annual Fund gifts to Museums are not specific in what they can be used for. Basically they can't raise enough money and balance their budget.

Well that's their damn fault. My tax dollars should pay for the DIA because we passed that millage. My private donations [[hundreds of dollars per year) are what pays my share of the DHM. However my municipal tax dollars should not pay for an ethnic museum when the police don't come when I call.

I am genuinely surprised that the museum needs city subsidies. It is a great museum, and I think it is really a national museum. I am surprised that donations can't be raised to cover it's operating costs and fund an endowment. I would definitely favor getting rid of the subsidy, although I would probably phase it out, rather than cut it off cold.

The museum has appallingly low visitor counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well part of the reason is because not too many people give a fuck about black history/culture, aside from blacks. There's nothing the city can do about that.

The DIA, on the other hand, offers attractions that people from all backgrounds can appreciate, which is part of the reason is has higher visitor counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I forgot to mention that. The annual visitor count was conveniently left out of the article.

Firstly, it's not what I would call one of the great national museums. Secondly, it doesn't matter if it is if no one comes.

Also it's interesting that it's self-styled as "the People's Museum" when they charge a significant admission rate while the DIA and DHM are free. I guess just toss in pseudo-populist jargon when convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well part of the reason is because not too many people give a fuck about black history/culture, aside from blacks. There's nothing the city can do about that.

The DIA, on the other hand, offers attractions that people from all backgrounds can appreciate, which is part of the reason is has higher visitor counts.
    Why wouldn't people of all backgrounds appreciate black history/culture.

I agree with Poobert but it is a great museum. Sadly, there are almost no schools outside of Detroit that take field trips there. If any region needs kids from all part of the region to understand other cultures and history it is certainly SE Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Why should they?

Why would kids from Walled Lake Elementary, that's probably over 90% caucasian, want to attend a Museum about black history?

Just as well, why would kids from an elementary school in DPS, that's probably over 90% black, want to attend a Museum about Arab American history [[museum in Dearborn)?

The Charles H. Wright Museum is indeed great. That said, it is still targeted towards a specific and relatively tiny demographic in the Metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

I agree with Poobert but it is a great museum. Sadly, there are almost no schools outside of Detroit that take field trips there. If any region needs kids from all part of the region to understand other cultures and history it is certainly SE Michigan.
    I've been there more then once and found it both interesting and appalling, [[as far as what one race of people are capable of dishing out to another). The last few times I've gone, it looked rather "tattered" inside, and around the edges. A lot of the interfaces didn't work.The exhibits, for the most part, haven't changed. Nothing new, or any special exhibits seem to take place. In the last few years, it seems to have been turned into a meeting and banquet place. The best idea I've seen, was to hold the African World Festival on it's grounds. I think if they had the Wright management, [[ha-ha), it could have more of a draw.

Well part of the reason is because not too many people give a fuck about black history/culture, aside from blacks.
    And what percentage of the ~1 million black people in Metro Detroit do you think have visited the museum? Even if "only black people cared", what excuse is there that the museum can't support itself in a city that is >85% black? It's unfair of you to say that it's only non-blacks who don't care about the museum when many black people seem to not give a shit either.

Arab-Americans make up a far smaller percentage of this region than black people do, but you'll notice that the Arab American National Museum in Dearborn doesn't seem to be having these funding issues nor does it exist largely on taxpayer charity.
    Last edited by aj3647; January-31-14 at 12:19 PM.

Why should they?

Why would kids from Walled Lake Elementary, that's probably over 90% caucasian, want to attend a Museum about black history?

Just as well, why would kids from an elementary school in DPS, that's probably over 90% black, want to attend a Museum about Arab American history [[museum in Dearborn)?

The Charles H. Wright Museum is indeed great. That said, it is still targeted towards a specific and relatively tiny demographic in the Metro area.
    To be well informed. All ethnic groups are part of US/World history.
    If you only know one part, you don't get the whole picture.

Why should they?

You need to teach kids about history so they [[hopefully) do not repeat the sins of previous generations. The fact that visiting Charles H Wright isn't a point for most history classes during their discussion of civil rights just goes to show how much they leave out. Teaching kids about what happened to a certain group of minorities is very important, regardless of what race or city they are from.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Teaching kids about what happened to a certain group of minorities is very important, regardless of what race or city they are from.
    Certainly, but you don't have to visit this museum to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Certainly, but you don't have to visit this museum to do that.
    No, but the impact isn't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    You are exactly right.

The Museum loses a lot through its nationalistic focus though. There I was told by a docent that while Africans practices slavery, that it was more humane than European slavery. I was also told that the Portugese introduced Christianity to Africa in order to subjugate the Africans, when I well know that the Ethiopian and Egyptian Churches date to shortly after the time of Christ. I was also informed about Black Egypt, when in fact we don't really know what race Egyptians were. Race didn't really matter, in the Ancient World, but we aren't told that at the CHW.

Who had no mention was Crispus Attucks, the first casualty of the American Revolution, or the integrated, mostly Black, Rhode Island regiment that stormed the last rampart at Yorktown.

I'd venture to say while there is a lot of value at the Museum, it is largely focused on race rather than African-Americans. We're all taught the evils of slavery in school, so good luck trying to get Joe Sixpack from Brighton to spend a weekend teaching his children apparently how evil white people are. There is just a bit too much guilt for it to be truly a multi-cultural experience.

The best Museum I've been to is the Holocaust Museum in DC. It is really a tremendously comprehensive view of World War II, and all those who died in the Holocaust, Jewish, gays, Roma, Slavs, and communists. It looks at the disparate resistance movements that were composed of not just Jewish people but Gentiles as well. At the same time, it is by no means a feel-good experience.

Anyway, as much as I want to continue to see the presence of an African-American Museum, the CHW seems doomed to failure due to its infastructure and even its message, and certainly its management. Now the Detroit tax faucet is turned off, so they must adapt or die. It is really as simple as that.

Imagine if each black player in professional sports contributed 1/10 of one percent of their salaries to the museum. That would probably equal about 10 times the Detroit contribution, considering that just the Brooklyn team in the NBA alone's salary is $100,788,184 for this past year. Brooklyn would contribute about 100k a year.

Of course, that'll never happen.

so what are the options to make it a state museum, or totally spin off ownership into a DIA type organization?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so what are the options to make it a state museum, or totally spin off ownership into a DIA type organization?
    With the state closing the State Fair, and the vast majority of the state's African-American population, and the Republican legislature talking of nothing but tax cuts, you're thinking they're going to go for bankrolling an African-American Museum?

They can certainly spin off ownership into a DIA type organization. Then they'd be responsible for their own funding and close within a year. That's what they're trying to prevent.

It is important that its funding be continued. Think of it as one of those things we need, like mass transportation, that will not make money but makes sense.

I believe its most important purpose is that it serves as a holocaust museum by telling the story of American slavery through its exhibits. Just like the museum in Farmington Hills or the most moving for me, Yad Vashem in Jerusalem, it is important that the enormity and brutality of this centuries-long crime of be made known and its victims remembered and memorialized.

The great culture that arose from that grim legacy is nothing short of amazing and deserves its celebration.

The Wright Museum does that too and its existence should be defended. It is incomparable to the DIA, DHS or Science Museum. These are tough, gut-wrenching truths to confront, not something people can stand to visit too often. Not something that sells popcorn and swag. But something we need. A bit of truth and reconciliation.

As a history buff, I have visited the Museums of AA History in Boston & Philadelphia, the African-American Civil War Memorial in DC, spent my first visit to Mt. Vernon [[as a kid) traipsing about the slave quarters, asking so many questions of the staff that I was told that I asked more questions than anyone they had had there. And I am fairly sure I have visited more historically black churches than most black people have [[I have a fascination with churches in general and have visited hundreds). I think the Wright Museum is great. I haven't been in the last six months; I will have to go soon. I am sad to hear that it is a little tattered. I do think schoolkids should go, as I feel that they should visit a broad variety of history museums and sites. I benefitted greatly from visiting Ellis Island, even though my ancestors did not pass through there. I have been to the Smithsonian's Native American museum in DC. Alas, I wish I could say that was a good museum, but it was not. Good history museums- whether general or niche- are beneficial to kids [[and the general public), even though

Instead of subsidizing the Wright Museum, perhaps the city's CVB could emphasize it to visitors more. I just can't believe it doesn't get a lot of visitors. I hope it can turn that around. They should [[maybe they already do and I am not aware) market a cultural pass to visitors that would cover admission to the art museums and Detroit Historical Museum along with the CHW Museum. I would also aggressively offer a discount to visitors to the Motown Museum and The Henry Ford [[show your ticket, get 50% off kinda thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Thanks for saying that. I was going to post something similar. You don't know go museums to celebrate what you know, you go to learn/experience what you don't know. I think the suburban school districts would be incredibly wise to bring students to CHW.

But that said, I don't see that it should be significantly subsidized by a city in the poor house.

What to do?

Well, one idea would be to have the museum partner with our groups that might raise money -- but not enough for their own museum. Who? I have no idea. But I do suspect that CHW is just too big for its purposes. Maybe it could also be a Motown Museum annex.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I believe its most important purpose is that it serves as a holocaust museum by telling the story of American slavery through its exhibits. Just like the museum in Farmington Hills or the most moving for me, Yad Vashem in Jerusalem, it is important that the enormity and brutality of this centuries-long crime of be made known and its victims remembered and memorialized.
    If that's the purpose of the museum, then why it is located in Detroit as opposed to Washington DC, where it would benefit from the millions of tourists who go there specifically to visit museums like that? The Holocaust museum gets 15,000,000 visitors annually.

Other than Detroit being a majority black city, what sense does it make to locate such a museum here? It sure as hell isn't because the local government is such a reliable fiscal benefactor. Michigan was never a slave state. At least DC, in addition to being a majority black city, has a geographical and historical connection to the age of slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    As a history buff, I have visited the Museums of AA History in Boston & Philadelphia, the African-American Civil War Memorial in DC, spent my first visit to Mt. Vernon [[as a kid) traipsing about the slave quarters, asking so many questions of the staff that I was told that I asked more questions than anyone they had had there. And I am fairly sure I have visited more historically black churches than most black people have [[I have a fascination with churches in general and have visited hundreds). I think the Wright Museum is great. I haven't been in the last six months; I will have to go soon. I am sad to hear that it is a little tattered. I do think schoolkids should go, as I feel that they should visit a broad variety of history museums and sites. I benefitted greatly from visiting Ellis Island, even though my ancestors did not pass through there. I have been to the Smithsonian's Native American museum in DC. Alas, I wish I could say that was a good museum, but it was not. Good history museums- whether general or niche- are beneficial to kids [[and the general public), even though

Instead of subsidizing the Wright Museum, perhaps the city's CVB could emphasize it to visitors more. I just can't believe it doesn't get a lot of visitors. I hope it can turn that around. They should [[maybe they already do and I am not aware) market a cultural pass to visitors that would cover admission to the art museums and Detroit Historical Museum along with the CHW Museum. I would also aggressively offer a discount to visitors to the Motown Museum and The Henry Ford [[show your ticket, get 50% off kinda thing).
    Museums usually obtain, at best, 10 - 20% of their budget from earned revenue, including admission, parking, and gift shop sales. CHW could increase their attendance tenfold an it isn't going to make a dent. Your solution isn't a solution at all, except that maybe it would entice donors to see it as a more relevant institution.

Virtually all major museums are institutions that depend entirely on philanthropy.

It is important that its funding be continued. Think of it as one of those things we need, like mass transportation, that will not make money but makes sense.
    So let me get this straight, you are advocating that the bankrupt city of Detroit continue to fund the Charles H. Wright Museum? Or whom? While you're using analogies, Lowell, why didn't you say it was as essential as police, fire, and EMS response, all of which are sorely lacking city services? Because as an actual resident of this city I beg to differ, very strongly, that we should continue to fund the museum out of city coffers, when essential services are so lacking.
    Last edited by poobert; January-31-14 at 06:36 PM.

The museum promotes itself as "the world's largest institution dedicated to the African American experience." With the National Museum of African American History now under construction on the Mall in Washington, which is part of the Smithsonian, I believe the Wright is doomed. To become more relevant it needs to reinvent itself and focus on local African American history in Detroit. i.e. the underground railroad, jazz, Motown, the Auto Industry effect on migration, food, athletes from Negro baseball to present day, etc.
    Tell Willie Horton's story. Tell the Funk Brothers Story, etc.

The great culture that arose from that grim legacy is nothing short of amazing and deserves its celebration.

The Wright Museum does that too and its existence should be defended. It is incomparable to the DIA, DHS or Science Museum. These are tough, gut-wrenching truths to confront, not something people can stand to visit too often. Not something that sells popcorn and swag. But something we need. A bit of truth and reconciliation.
    You may be right. The museum is needed.

But why is it the city resident's responsibility to satisfy that need?

I'd like to see the CHW do well. I think it is very important in the context of Detroit's black history. Its a question of priorities. If you, Lowell, agree this is a core function of the City, then what isn't? We have a lot of things we need. Some of them just aren't City responsibilities.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast