Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What's the Status of the National Theater?

I drove by the National last weekend. At one point, some time back, it appeared that some work was being done. It looks now like someone just walked away from it and a large portion of the façade is open to the elements. Sad.

The city managed to get it back last year from Marvin Washington, who was supposed to renovate it but just sat on it. In October the city was reportedly in negotiations with Dan Gilbert, who had purchased the rest of the block.

There's been no word since then, but it seems that part of the holdup is that Gilbert wants to tear the theater down along with the rest of the block, while the city would like to have him at least save the facade.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    There's been no word since then, but it seems that part of the holdup is that Gilbert wants to tear the theater down along with the rest of the block, while the city would like to have him at least save the facade.
    I'm surprised if he's not at least willing to save the facade [[everything beyond is pretty much shot) and the small entrance vestibule, which is completely lined with glorious Pewabic Tiles. I would have thought the "picture palace Moorish" style of that facade would be right at home with Gilbert's more garish fashion tastes?

Preservation Detroit's take on preserving it...
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013121...n-architecture

Ummm.... just found another article... it seems that Dan Gilbert's development chief of Bedrock... he is eager to at least save the facade of the National....

http://www.freep.com/article/2013102...-Bell-Building
    Last edited by Gistok; January-30-14 at 10:03 PM.

I don't care how wasted the building is behind that facade it should be saved at all cost! I've seen old pics of that place completely illuminated it must have been awesome. Something like that will never again be built.

Although the interior could be restored, the total seating capacity and the rise of the balcony would make the place a money looser were it to be used as a theatre. Elevator access would be needed, compliant restrooms, would not fit in the footprint of the original building and lobby space is non existant. Better to see the facade and marquee restored than try to restore the interior, just my opinion. Those who know me know that I am in favor of accurate, historical correct restorations, down to the original colours, but this one doesn't seem feasible.

I have to agree Detroitbob... although this was sadly Kahn's only movie theatre commission, it was not his only performance venue. His Temple Beth-El became the Bonstelle Theatre up in Midtown, and Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor was his as well.

From an aesthetic perspective, the facade is much more exuberant than the interior of the National, which was in a very tame classic opera house look. With only 800 seats, and a lack of circulation and ancillary space, it would require a building addition if it were restored.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    I don't care how wasted the building is behind that facade it should be saved at all cost!
    "All cost" is easy if it's not your money. I do hope they save the facade. But mostly I hope something good and useful is done with the site.