Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mike rowe is dead on about skilled trades and collage

I took a welding and machine shop in school and made a career our of the skill I learned in that time they took all the shop classes out of my school and put in computer classes now as a shop owner I can not find skilled workers and I keep running into people with degrees that cant find a job. BTW I am no fan of Glenn beck but this video is spot on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_BDOIps9MM

But you can probably hire an art major to make you a collage.

We need to train people to provide and maintain the things that make this country run. I've been a self employed carpenter for almost 40 years and it is very hard to find anybody that even want to do this for a living. They all have dreams of grandeur and no willingness to work. Hard work is not a bad thing. People are not entitled to a living. You have to earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by theklep View Post
    We need to train people to provide and maintain the things that make this country run. I've been a self employed carpenter for almost 40 years and it is very hard to find anybody that even want to do this for a living. They all have dreams of grandeur and no willingness to work. Hard work is not a bad thing. People are not entitled to a living. You have to earn it.
    I have to agree with this one. Skills, trades and good work ethics, even in the tech world are disappearing at an alarming rate. Not always because people don't want to work hard, but because of the lack of opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by theklep View Post
    Figure out a way to "text" a doorwall in place, and you'll have more applicants then you can handle....