Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Boutique Hotel/Residential Highrise Proposed For Statler Site

Not sure if there's demand for yet another boutique hotel but more importantly there's a residential high rise included, which the article mentions almost as an afterthought.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ew-Wings-arena

That's awesome, someone was just wining in the George Jackson thread about the demo on the Statler. This is a much better use of the space than trying to renovate an old decrepit tower with an odd interior shape. Hope this works out, can't wait to hear more specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by astongraham View Post
    That's awesome, someone was just wining in the George Jackson thread about the demo on the Statler. This is a much better use of the space than trying to renovate an old decrepit tower with an odd interior shape. Hope this works out, can't wait to hear more specifics.
    At least learn to spell "whining."

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Not sure if there's demand for yet another boutique hotel but more importantly there's a residential high rise included, which the article mentions almost as an afterthought.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ew-Wings-arena

It does seem odd that they specify 118 hotel rooms, but provide no information at all about the residential portion.

When I first read the article I didn't even notice that it mentioned residential because it was mentioned almost in passing. That is certainly good news though. Like everyone else here, I'm not sure if there's demand right now for more hotel rooms, but maybe they know something we don't and they expect there to be increased demand in the future.

Regardless, the residential is needed and having something finally built here will be a great addition to a growing downtown

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnSpeedster View Post
    When I first read the article I didn't even notice that it mentioned residential because it was mentioned almost in passing. That is certainly good news though. Like everyone else here, I'm not sure if there's demand right now for more hotel rooms, but maybe they know something we don't and they expect there to be increased demand in the future.

Regardless, the residential is needed and having something finally built here will be a great addition to a growing downtown
    I'm wondering with hotel rooms it isn't the aggregate number, but having the right quantity and type in the right locations.

Is there a good market and what type of market is it? E.g., less business but more leisure-related. [[e.g., a family coming to Detroit for a Tigers series or hockey games or Lions game).

I'd think for someone driving to Detroit for say Saturday night/Sunday afternoon Tigers games it would be perfect. Or a Lions game.

Why not stay a few blocks from the venue?
    Last edited by emu steve; January-30-14 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I'm wondering with hotel rooms it isn't the aggregate number, but having the right quantity and type in the right locations.

Is there a good market and what type of market is it? E.g., less business but more leisure-related. [[e.g., a family coming to Detroit for a Tigers series or hockey games or Lions game).

Or if a visiting team in various sports might book there?

E.g., would a visiting NHL team choose that location, a short walk to the new arena, versus something closer to the business district???

Right now most, if not all, visiting NHL and NFL teams are staying at the Book Cadillac. The Lions also stay there the Saturday nights before a home game. For some unknown reason I think a lot of visiting MLB teams still stay in Birmingham. Whether having another hotel slightly closer to the new arena would move the lodging, who knows. I expect it would have more to do with the luxury and cost relative to the Book Cadillac.

Holy hell, 700 parking spots for 118 hotel rooms? Exactly how many residential units are being planned? I bet its a lot less than 582.

So let me get this straight. There was no demand, so the Statler had to be demolished. But that was an oddly-shaped building. And on the same exact lot, the new building will NOT be oddly-shaped?

I'm so confused.

Are they going to tear down the remaining building [[can't remember the name) that got damaged when the Statler was torn down?

Quote Originally Posted by astongraham View Post
    Me too! I could totally take my date to over to the Cadillac Place development for shopping and dinner, then take the People Mover back over to this boutique hotel that is proposed and will totally happen!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    It does seem odd that they specify 118 hotel rooms, but provide no information at all about the residential portion.
    They may not have determined the configuration of the residential portion. They might have numerous floorplans in mind, and will wait to see which prove better sellers before finalizing plans. Hotel rooms would be easier to peg. Just a thought. And I wonder how high it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Are they going to tear down the remaining building [[can't remember the name) that got damaged when the Statler was torn down?
    Depends how much money the current owner tries to extort them for, probably

I really hope this gets off the ground. I can't wait to see a rendering, and hear how its too generic and not a fabulous landmark.

The Joie de Vivre seems to do hotels with themes tied to the location

http://www.jdvhotels.com/

I'll believe it when I see it.

The plans right now are vague, and this is after "years" of "discussion". If they were for real things would be more concrete and moving much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post

The vast majority of their locations are in California, with 9 here in SF alone. Its interesting that they are even considering Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Depends how much money the current owner tries to extort them for, probably
    The building ower is willing to sell....

Up until now he's been trying to become a billionaire so that he qualifies for the city's largesse to tear the building down [[the one their Statler demo team welding torches set on fire)...

People who are not billionaires don't qualify for city/state money...
    Last edited by Gistok; January-30-14 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post

Does that mean they're going to make it look like the Statler-Hilton?

While this is great news, lets all not start blowing each other just yet. $1.5M bid on the property needs to be reviewed and accepted as the official offer. I don't know what the city is asking on the property, but lets hope it's not some outrageous sum of money. If it's taken "years" to negotiate this purchase, what's the reason behind it? City roadblocks or shoddy plans with even more questionable investors? And why make the announcement without so much as a rendering? That always confuses me, since the immediate questions after a news release like this is "what's it look like?" so we can all applaud/pan their efforts.

Either way, it's great to see an announcement like this. I hope it's fitting for the location in terms of aesthetics and height so we can begin to fill in that gigantic gap on the western portion of GCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it.

The plans right now are vague, and this is after "years" of "discussion". If they were for real things would be more concrete and moving much faster.
    even in functioning cities any mixed-use "highrise" project takes years of planning and construction, but thanks for the positive vibes nancy

Looks damn concrete to me... They want construction to be done by the end of 2015!!!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...hilton-site-in

here's the renderingName:  AR-140139978.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  26.7 KB

Also looks like it will indeed be A LOT OF RESIDENTIAL! thank youuu lord

Full crains article b/c of subscription problems:

'A group of Michigan and out-of-state investors plans a new development with a 118-room boutique hotel, 150 high-rise residences, a Miller Parking Services parking garage with at least 700 spaces and three restaurants on the site of the former Statler Hilton Hotel on Grand Circus Park.A $1.5 million purchase offer and $100,000 deposit for the site on Washington Boulevard has been presented to the office of Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, the Downtown Development Authority and the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., according to a news release.
    The Downtown Detroit Executive Hotel Complex development group expects the project, dubbed the Fitzgerald Place, to be complete by the third quarter of 2015.
    Included in the investment group are the owners of the 34-story Broderick Tower at 10 Witherell St., according to the release. The group has sole Detroit market rights for the San Francisco-basedCommune Hotels & Resorts Inc. brand of hotels, which includes Thompson Hotels and Tommie Hotels.
    The first Luca's Chophouse in Detroit is expected at the Fitzgerald Place development, according to the release. Gillespie's jazz bar and the Blues Note club are expected, as well. There also would be a Grant Street Cleaner's, the company's second in Detroit, according to the release.
    An attorney representing the development group and one of the developers, William McCrary of Tennessee, could not be reached for comment. Mike Higgins, owner representative for the Broderick Tower, also could not be reached for comment.
    The Statler Hilton was razed in 2005 ahead of the 2006 Super Bowl."

This is my favorite downtown project - the restaurant and bars sound like great additions. Interested to see what the actual facades will look like

That's quite the ambitious timeline though. A 3rd quarter 2015 opening on a project that size? You'd have to break ground, oh, this Monday.

Then again, with George Jackson out of the picture and Kwame not shaking down developers, maybe this kind of thing is possible. I still doubt it, but hopefully they prove me wrong.

If they've ponied up a $100,000 deposit, they must be serious. Maybe under the Duggan administration things will move faster.

Any idea why they'd call it Fitzgerald place?
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; January-30-14 at 04:39 PM.

Here's the actual Crain's article with more info http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...hilton-site-in

Edit: Just realized there was a link in that other post. Haha

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast