Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Police chief launches formal investigation into Fox reporter scuffle

The Detroit Police Department will launch a formal investigation into an incident in which it appeared two city officers roughed up WJBK-TV [[Channel 2) news reporter M.L. Elrick when he attempted to question City Council President Pro Tem George Cushingberry Jr., Detroit Police Chief James Craig announced Wednesday.

here's a link to the original story with the video
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...uncil-security
    Last edited by Vic01; January-29-14 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    The Detroit Police Department will launch a formal investigation into an incident in which it appeared two city officers roughed up WJBK-TV [[Channel 2) news reporter M.L. Elrick when he attempted to question City Council President Pro Tem George Cushingberry Jr., Detroit Police Chief James Craig announced Wednesday.

here's a link to the original story with the video
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...uncil-security
    I'm guessing this is Craig's initial shot across the bow to the Kush. Hope he boards the ship and scuttles it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    A truly shocking video. Even if Mr. Elrich had been asked to step aside, a bona-fide reporter [[and apparently citizen of Detroit) should not need to be manhandled to clear a pathway.

I could understand the officers actions as a last resort if Mr. Elrich was delaying Mr. Cushingberry -- but to preemptively shove a reporter for trying to ask questions of a council member? I cannot imagine.

Mr. Cushingberry could have simply said, I'm sorry, I can't speak to you right now -- I'm already a few minutes late for the meeting.

But what on earth would cause a DPD sergeant to grab a reporter? I do hope Craig gets that answer. Sure -- it was excessive manhandling. But it was manhandling. This wasn't just using your body to block the reporter. This was grabbing with clear intent.

And do I understand this sergeant was a member of this detail? To work council chambers? There must be protocol for reporters.

I'm shocked.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; January-29-14 at 02:18 PM.

----- Scuttle indeed. Or Cush gonna to take him down like a sea-anchor!!

Looks like its all going down fast. Love your naval reference!

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I'm guessing this is Craig's initial shot across the bow to the Kush. Hope he boards the ship and scuttles it in the end.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-29-14 at 02:33 PM.

Umm, sounds like we have a bit of: 'Badges? We no need no stinking badges!' vs. 'Do you know who the F&*K I am?!'

Sorry for the mixed metaphors/ references. It's all part of the insanity of what we are dealing with.

Step to this fast Craig or it's over before we get started!

we tried to start anew with ONLY two [[2) at large and the rest by district to solve the problems and what we get is him and his ass-hat issues!!!

At least he wasn't holding hands with Mayor Fouts.

Reminded me of an episode or two from "Hard Core Pawn".

The Detroit I knew is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    A truly shocking video. Even if Mr. Elrich had been asked to step aside, a bona-fide reporter [[and apparently citizen of Detroit) should not need to be manhandled to clear a pathway.

I could understand the officers actions as a last resort if Mr. Elrich was delaying Mr. Cushingberry -- but to preemptively shove a reporter for trying to ask questions of a council member? I cannot imagine.

Mr. Cushingberry could have simply said, I'm sorry, I can't speak to you right now -- I'm already a few minutes late for the meeting.

But what on earth would cause a DPD sergeant to grab a reporter? I do hope Craig gets that answer. Sure -- it was excessive manhandling. But it was manhandling. This wasn't just using your body to block the reporter. This was grabbing with clear intent.

And do I understand this sergeant was a member of this detail? To work council chambers? There must be protocol for reporters.

I'm shocked.
    ML Elrick is indeed a citizen of Detroit. He is also a great reporter and family man, and a personal friend.

It's beyond sad the violent thug mentality somehow pervades nearly every aspect of Detroit. From the drug dealing thugs, to the council thugs, to the thugs with badges. For some reason indecency and violence reign.

Beating up reporters is also unacceptable in the United States of America. We have this thing called a Free Press. Leave the beating up reporters to Putin. Or Detroit, apparently. You want to live in a two bit banana republic, fine. You reap what you sow. I won't stick around though.

But Craig said the incident warranted further investigation, including reviewing the entire footage recorded by the camera from the Fox affiliate, not just the portion shown on television.

“I want to know what took place prior to the contact with the reporter,” he said.
    I'm reserving judgement until we see the rest of the footage. Fox2 only picks up the story as Elrick is getting pushed back. Regardless of whether or not he he feels he has a "right" to question Cushingberrry, if Elrick was forceably pushing his way past two officers telling him to stop, then he bears some responsibility here. If Fox2 believes so strongly that Elrick was in the right, then they should show the entire incident from its beginning.
    Last edited by downtownguy; January-29-14 at 05:09 PM.

Yes, Fox should show the entire footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Reminded me of an episode or two from "Hard Core Pawn".

The Detroit I knew is long gone.
    Yep, all the politicians and police officers were all soooooo honorable in your day.

What a winer! Get over yourself M.L....

You're a grown man and a reporter in the city of Detroit. Stuff happens in a tough rust belt city. Tough it out and move on. Why the big cry over a little tug?

What is Detroit becoming? Light weight?

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post

You're a grown man and a reporter in the city of Detroit. Stuff happens in a tough rust belt city. Tough it out and move on. Why the big cry over a little tug?

That attitude is part of why we are a rust belt city. Detroit needs stop acting a little less like the abused pit bull and a little more like the wise owl.

Musta been a slow news day. Tempest in a teapot, much ado about nothing.

The news guy shoulda done the Le Bron Flop for the camera ...

Not wanting to get roughed up by cops makes you a lightweight?

Detroit's got 99 problems and "light weight" isn't one.

I'm not shitting you, I swear to God, I just heard about six rounds fired off from not very far away. And it's about zero degrees out. That's the eastside, I suppose.

Well, apparently you live in Ann Arbor, which is just about the pussiest city in Michigan, so there goes your street cred, Tony Montana.

should have done what jim cantore did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvmmIHl8YzY

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Not wanting to get roughed up by cops makes you a lightweight?

Detroit's got 99 problems and "light weight" isn't one.

I'm not shitting you, I swear to God, I just heard about six rounds fired off from not very far away. And it's about zero degrees out. That's the eastside, I suppose.

Well, apparently you live in Ann Arbor, which is just about the pussiest city in Michigan, so there goes your street cred, Tony Montana.
    Internet tough guy...smh

Internet tough guy...smh
    Calling it like I see it because you decided to talk trash about a friend of mine. Nice "smh", too, didn't realize you were a 13 year old girl. The 313 is obviously not for you, keep on keeping it real in the Quad. Maybe I'm just an internet tough guy, but I'm here on the eastside and in the service so maybe I see things differently from pencilnecks in college towns, whatever.

Oooh...Sensitive internet shit talker got his feelings hurt.

I CAN BEAT YOU UP ON THE INTERNET...LOL

You win.

Goodnight Pooty!

Sounds like you're the keyboard cowboy.

Paging Steve Wilson, paging Steve Wilson. What's old is new again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, Fox should show the entire footage.
    I agree. I want to jump to judgement, but WJBK very notably shows the video at the moment the physical contact begins, not the crucial seconds before the incident.

I feel like WJBK might be trying to hide something or make it more sensationalized that what it actually is.

If he didn't do anything to warrant this, it's a big deal. It's all a part of our first amendment rights. When reports are bullied, roughed up, and intimidated for wanting to ask a politician about whether he was drunk driving, ripped off clients, etc... that's not ok!

Police should clear a non-moving person blocking a doorway to an event. The reporter's twice entering of the secure area when he was just alerted that the area was off limits provides insight into the likelihood that he followed previous direct police orders.

When the police ask a person to clear an area they would otherwise be able to occupy, the best thing to do is follow the directions. You can complain to the chain of command later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast