Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Winter Storm Leon Snarls Traffic in Atlanta

A few inches of snow in the ATL renders freeways and roads useless. Folks sleeping in stores, getting out of cars walking, etc. a baby born on highway! See photos.

http://www.weather.com/news/commuter...lanta-20140128

Not to mention students trapped at schools overnight. That little storm they got there is a normal winter's day to us.

^^^ Yeah CP I have family there and it's nuts. It's a bit akin to Los Angelas and New York mania on their main freeways downtown thru Buckhead etc. on a 'warm' weather Tuesday... so of course this was a MEGA DISASTER!

I told one friend down there they ought to know how to manage snow driving seeing as how so many are transplants from the 'D' ---- !

So soon the snow birds from the north forget.

But seriously, the inclines and winding streets, and the density of certain areas of the ATL is incredible.

I avoid driving down there when I visit. Also, they waited to the last minute to commute home, which is already a crush-of-a-rush hour on a good day!

Yet everyone KNEW the storm was coming. Duh!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-29-14 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    A few inches of snow in the ATL renders freeways and roads useless. Folks sleeping in stores, getting out of cars walking, etc. a baby born on highway! See photos.

http://www.weather.com/news/commuter...lanta-20140128
    That little bit of snow quickly froze to ICE. At least a qtr. to half inch on roads in my area. Come on down and show us all how to drive on ice please? The other major problems were that the predictions called for a little dusting north of I-20 [[downtown) and that almost everyone decided to scoot for home all at once around 12:30PM. Try putting all those cars/trucks/busses on the streets/freeways at once anywhere and see what the outcome is.

Very easy to second hand guess.

Only Tropical Cyclones have names.

No one should perpetuate the publicity stunt by a tabloid service.

Folks down south are not prepared for winter storms like people who live in northern cities. But next time when cold weather comes. They better have their winter coats, boots, scarf wool hats, shovels and road salt handy.