Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Sorry, meant DPS School Board

A DPD school board could be an improvement.

I didn't read anywhere that they were scrapping the school board, for a minute, you got me excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I didn't read anywhere that they were scrapping the school board, for a minute, you got me excited.
    Step One: Have it declared that DPS is no longer School District of the First Class.

Step Two: Challenge the existence of the School Board.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 7miledog View Post
    Step One: Have it declared that DPS is no longer School District of the First Class.

Step Two: Challenge the existence of the School Board.
    Last time I looked, there were thousands of school districts around the state. Each of them has a school board. What makes you think this is any different?

More likely than not, the Dems in Lansing will just try and re-write the rules so that Detroit is still counted as a 'first class" district. What's unclear is if the majority of Democrats would support this action and if Granholm would support re-writing the rules again. It's hard to argue against change in DPS right now.

Well, at least the ones who are there ONLY for the money will fade away as the funding goes.

Plus, Robert Bob seems to be wonderfully politically incorrect, with curious effective ways of solving vexing problems.

Stosh Guest

I've been trying to see what benefits, besides the obvious reference in regard to the charter schools, does a first class district have versus a regular intermediate school district. I can't seem to find out exactly what the benefits are.
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/[[S[[m5j...mcl-451-1976-1

Never mind. Here's the Skillman foundation's take on all this. It's not an appetizing picture.

http://www.pscinc.com/Documents/Skil...ysis_FINAL.pdf
    Last edited by Stosh; July-20-09 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Add PDF

MIRepublic Guest

I've seen this posted somewhere else [[probably in the Freep comments), but the school board has not been abolished. Detroit loses it's First Class status which only has the effect of allowing for more charter schools; that's it.

There are plenty of "Detroit only" laws at the state level. These used to read "cities over 1,000,000 population", then was changed to 900,000, and finally 750,000. So dropping the minimum pupil number is probably what will happen. Mike Bishop and the GOP have to look at the trade off of reduced accountability vs. more charter schools if the number is not changed. Of course, when in recent memory did the DPS do what laws said it must?

Pitiful. What's Detroit without Detroit Public Schools? More charter schools that could kick out students if they misbehave.

Retroit Guest

"First Class"? What a joke. If they want to use size as a classification, they should use the term "Class I", not "First Class".

hopefully there will be more quality options for students to have.. at least let interested parties try.. the zero-tolerance culture on charters doesn't help..

I never understood why the public schools could not just kick out more students that don't deserve to be in the schools, wasting the taxpayers dollars. I hate the funding "per pupil" system, because it forces these schools to keep subpar students in school, as opposed to more profoundly helping the students who want to learn and stretch the existing dollars further.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    I never understood why the public schools could not just kick out more students that don't deserve to be in the schools, wasting the taxpayers dollars. I hate the funding "per pupil" system, because it forces these schools to keep subpar students in school, as opposed to more profoundly helping the students who want to learn and stretch the existing dollars further.
    So, you kick a kid out of school and where does her or she go? Do you not realize how much more of a burden they are financially and socially outside of school than they'd even be as disruptive students inside the school? I hope, then, you'd advocate alternative high schools. If you're talking about not educating them, altogether, then you're crazy.