Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 1955 Detroit Street Car - Unknown Street?

Anyone know what street this photo is from?

I am taking a guess, saying Woodward Avenue north of McNichols. The streetcar tracks ran in the median strip there. At the Fairgrounds the streetcars went into the turn-around and headed back south on Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger4me View Post
    I am taking a guess, saying Woodward Avenue north of McNichols. The streetcar tracks ran in the median strip there. At the Fairgrounds the streetcars went into the turn-around and headed back south on Woodward.
    Yep, but no need to guess. This photo appears on the excellent detroittransithistory.info web site, captioned as follows: "Farther south along Woodward, mid-way between Seven Mile Road and McNichols [[Six Mile), car #227 heads north along the center median PRW while between Savannah and Nevada streets [[across from Palmer Park). Since the taking of this photo in 1955, Gib Bergstrom Used Cars and the Log Cabin Lanes bowling alley [[hidden behind PCC car) have been remodeled and taken over by the Park Motor Sales/Lincoln-Mercury dealership, which closed its doors in late 2009."

Great pic. I lament the fact we literally had mass transit in place and got rid of it for the various reasons we don't need to rehash.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Great pic. I lament the fact we literally had mass transit in place and got rid of it for the various reasons we don't need to rehash.
    Not to mention that street car looks much cooler than today's busses.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Not to mention that street car looks much cooler than today's busses.
    You just have not seen the right buses:
    http://www.d.umn.edu/~jschwetm/fall2...chaelAbdi.html

^^I think I've been on that bus but it carried the D-DOT logo at the time.