Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr... It be a bit nippy outside!

I see another Three Dog Night a comin'.

The wind and chill is bad enough up here on the open ground.

I can only imagine what the wind is like in them man made canyons in downtown D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I see another Three Dog Night a comin'.
    http://www.threedognight.com/shows.html

Well a pipe burst in tower 400 of the Ren Cen over the weekend making the whole elevator bank unoperable. It must be pretty darn cold for that to happen.

Get use to it. It's suppose to continue through this weekend. I'm gonna hate to see my gas bill for this month.

-- how up-to-date is the Detroit Water Dept. on upgrading water mains to prevent recurring breaks during winter?

Well, uh, what do you mean, as in, "up-to-date?" If the 1920s is up to date, everything should be okay.

I always said this during the boom of the late 90s: Why are we giving out state- wide tax breaks when the infrastructure is at least 100 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post

I always said this during the boom of the late 90s: Why are we giving out state- wide tax breaks when the infrastructure is at least 100 years old?
    Because politicians don't have the ba..., er, intestinal fortitude to do the right thing.

A Yooper friend of mine posted that propane is up to six bucks a gallon up there. She's got her thermostat down to 65 and the hot water heater turned off. Sounds like price gouging to me. I feel for folks depending on propane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    A Yooper friend of mine posted that propane is up to six bucks a gallon up there. She's got her thermostat down to 65 and the hot water heater turned off. Sounds like price gouging to me. I feel for folks depending on propane.
    Yeppers!

Propane is a manufactured gas rated at 90K btu's/gal.
    The pipelines used to pump into this country now they have been reversed and pump out. Ain't it grand?

That's been a problem for quite a while now. It's even affecting other states like Alabama and Tennessee. From the LA Times: Propane shortage reaches emergency levels
    ... The shortage, industry officials say, is due to a confluence of events: a Midwest pipeline being shut down for maintenance, a high demand for propane last fall to dry a rain-soaked harvest of corn, competition for pipelines and rail cars caused by increased oil and natural gas production — and the extreme cold....
    Curse this Arctic Vortex!

Having lived in a mobile home heated by fuel oil years ago, I can emphasize with the jump in consumption when you have an extended cold snap [[though prices were quite a bit less when I used fuel oil for heating). That being said, the stock market is not rewarding stocks like Suburban Propane for the jump in LPG prices so i am not sure there is price gouging going on. I understand there are pipeline issues and an increase in LPG exports as the reasons for the shortages.

I am afraid that my mini-pigs will be stolen at the cottage.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I am afraid that my mini-pigs will be stolen at the cottage.
    Dang, I had not thought of that till you mentioned it. That kind of stuff can and will happen. Seen it before.

The chill is on from near and far in all the months that have an "r"
    Last edited by SDCC; January-27-14 at 11:41 PM. Reason: as usual I missed a word

Okay- It's 7:53 Am, do you know where your bike is?

I told you folks. The La Nina created Polar Vortex is making Michigan look like the North Pole. Give it about until the end of March and the vortex will retreat.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I told you folks. The La Nina created Polar Vortex is making Michigan look like the North Pole. Give it about until the end of March and the vortex will retreat.
    It will retreat before then Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It will retreat before then Danny.
    No, when the Earth enters its spring equinox [[ that is the sun will be at the point of Tropic of Cancer) the Polar Vortex will cool down. Michigan will be done with the bitter cold temperatures by late March. Then by late April it will be done with the chill.

By February Michigan will receive one more arctic blast and bitter cold temperatures before early March. Then up to sub-freezing temperatures.

The C02 residue in the upper atmosphere by 400ppm. has made La Nina stronger. That explains the one week heat wave in late June in the most northern hemispheric areas in 2013. I told my friends that there will be terrible winter with parades of clippers, winter storms by mid November to late December follow by parade of bitter cold temperatures per-week in early January, a quick thaw by mid-January and back to bitter cold that will last about a week and half.

I was right! Don't trust the groundhog!

Oh my. THINK SPRING!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Dang, I had not thought of that till you mentioned it. That kind of stuff can and will happen. Seen it before.
    I've got twin 100lb canisters. I heard the UP is getting it the worst, my place is about half-way there.

I'm predicting we have a "Tropical Vortex" the first week of June.

Let's hear it for delivered pizza!!

BOHICA!

Instead of removing the snow from his driveway, a neighbor tried to compress it by repeatedly running back and forth over it.

Bad idea. Eventually he got stuck spinning his wheels.

The stuff needs to be removed. There's just no getting around that.