Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chief Craig's uniform

Can someone explain to me why Chief Craig has an aviation wing medal on his uniform. Is there an aviation division in the DPD? Is he a licensed to fly anything? If someone knows I'd appreciate an answer.

DPD did have an aviation division. The city had to turn in the leased helicopter years ago.

The DPD has an ex-military Bell UH-58 helicopter collecting dust in a hangar at Detroit City Airport. The city won't let them fly it because they can't afford the maintenance costs. But yes, technically it has a helicopter.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._wont_let.html

This is the info I discovered about the current DPD aviation unit. The story pretty much stops at city council approval. I think they killer it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ment_to_r.html

Keeping it shut down is a good decision. Limited funds can be spent much more effectively by putting more cops in cars.

Didn't you or somebody else gripe about this a short time ago? Who cares??? He can wear an earring in his right ear for all I care. What difference does it make?

I knew all about the old aviation unit back in the 70's and 80's and that it's been shut down for years. My question is why is Craig wearing aviation wings on his uniform? Is it just for show, is it to make him look important, or is there some true significance to them. DPD has strict uniform regulations and everything on the uniforms has a use and a meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Didn't you or somebody else gripe about this a short time ago? Who cares??? He can wear an earring in his right ear for all I care. What difference does it make?
    Simple question...just would like to know why they are on his uniform...and, it was me who asked the question a few months ago.

detroit and warren were the only cities that had a helicopter in the 90's. they would help each other in times of need, but has others said, cost and maintenance can shutter those divisions real fast.

his bio says nothing about an aviation accreditation or actual work in aviation. could be many reasons, i.e. father was in the Tuskegee Airmen force and he is proud. maybe other reasons that he wants to honor. he has a distinguished career and hopefully he can bring something to the force.

I can recall the Detroit cops landing a copter at my grade school. One of the kid's dads was a pilot. We were all brought out into the school yard to watch it. It was loud. I bet the neighbors were none to pleased!

Flight attendant gave it to him on his flight to Detroit?

If Dad was a Tuskegee airman and he's proud he still isn't allowed to wear a medal that belongs to someone else on his uniform. I like Craig and I think he's doing an excellent job trying to clean up the City...it's not proper or protocol to wear fake medals to enhance his uniform.
    If anyone knows the "answer" to my question, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I felt he might be wearing something related to the Tuskegee airmen. I have no problem with it. I am more interested in what he does relative to crime and law enforcement.

I hear he was in the mile high club.

I agree. Maybe he does know how to fly, or is proud of the fact DPD has an aviation unit, though mothballed. That big said, DPD would be better off taking the funding for the chopper, [[if and when), and investing it in couple of drones. Far more cost effective. IMO

Yeah, there should be absolutely no rhyme or reason to this stuff. He should wear an AC/DC pin because he likes them a lot and just give up the uniform pants for jeans because they're more comfortable.

Who cares?!?! What difference does it make?!?!

On the surface it may seem like it does not matter but long term it would matter if there is a strict department policy on what may be placed on ones uniform.

Is the chief a lead by example type or do as I say not as I do, as it would effect moral long term.

If that was the case then every officer should be able to adorn his or her uniform as they wish providing they have a valid reason.

If it takes 6 officers to respond and two hours being tied up for an open container and mariwanna in the car,one would think the feasibility of the helo in service is a cost cutting factor.

If you get pulled over by one officer with a helo back up and you are sitting there under that bright light odds are you are going to comply and provide a safe situation for that officer,if not where are you going to go.You mug somebody,a helo with infrared is going to find you without putting others at risk.

If you are 80 years old and somebody is breaking into your house that helo can be there in minutes verses an half hour,it is when seconds count that lives are saved,you cannot put a price on that,dust it off and put it in service.

He has done a good job so far,but for those into public safety you are looking for long term improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    On the surface it may seem like it does not matter but long term it would matter if there is a strict department policy on what may be placed on ones uniform.

Is the chief a lead by example type or do as I say not as I do, as it would effect moral long term.

If that was the case then every officer should be able to adorn his or her uniform as they wish providing they have a valid reason.

If it takes 6 officers to respond and two hours being tied up for an open container and mariwanna in the car,one would think the feasibility of the helo in service is a cost cutting factor.

If you get pulled over by one officer with a helo back up and you are sitting there under that bright light odds are you are going to comply and provide a safe situation for that officer,if not where are you going to go.You mug somebody,a helo with infrared is going to find you without putting others at risk.

If you are 80 years old and somebody is breaking into your house that helo can be there in minutes verses an half hour,it is when seconds count that lives are saved,you cannot put a price on that,dust it off and put it in service.

He has done a good job so far,but for those into public safety you are looking for long term improvement.
    Huh??

slippery slope

You said that if we allow A to happen, then Z will eventually happen too, therefore A should not happen.

The problem with this reasoning is that it avoids engaging with the issue at hand, and instead shifts attention to extreme hypotheticals. Because no proof is presented to show that such extreme hypotheticals will in fact occur, this fallacy has the form of an appeal to emotion fallacy by leveraging fear. In effect the argument at hand is unfairly tainted by unsubstantiated conjecture.
    Last edited by Gistok; January-25-14 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Huh??

slippery slope

You said that if we allow A to happen, then Z will eventually happen too, therefore A should not happen.

The problem with this reasoning is that it avoids engaging with the issue at hand, and instead shifts attention to extreme hypotheticals. Because no proof is presented to show that such extreme hypotheticals will in fact occur, this fallacy has the form of an appeal to emotion fallacy by leveraging fear. In effect the argument at hand is unfairly tainted by unsubstantiated conjecture.
    It is not that slippery,it boils down to what the department policy reads,and does it apply across the board.

That is the unknown.

So can a gay,Irish patrol officer whos mother is a breast cancer survivor wear a gay pride flag pin,a Irish flag,and a pink ribbon on his or her uniform as those would all be things that would have valid meaning to them?

No disrespect intended.

Where would you draw the line other then through departmental policy that sets a standard across the board as to what and where items may be placed on ones uniform.

Where is the badge of every police officer placed? Were they playing cards and said,hey it looks cool here,lets try it.

Or was there a standard policy across the board that directed the exact placement of said badge for everybody,or can any officer named Mike wear said badge as a belt buckle.

further research seam to indicate that it is not a pin concerning flight, but a pin of merit or for service. look at all the photos on google images and he is not always wearing it. he has worked as an officer and chief in a few cities. each has their own pins of recognition. he has every right to wear it as proof of service.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I can recall the Detroit cops landing a copter at my grade school. One of the kid's dads was a pilot. We were all brought out into the school yard to watch it. It was loud. I bet the neighbors were none to pleased!
    I got to ride in the DPD helicopter once when I was a kid. This was early to mid-90s...

Ever hear of "stolen valor"? He who wears decorations he is not entitled to invites shame. Not sure if that is the case here, but it justifies the question.

If you look at pictures online, he was wearing them in Cincy too. Was he ever a Marine?

Maybe like the scene from Office Space, Kevyn Orr is encouraging officers to wear more bling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast