Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Is this Van Dyke/6 Mile [[Verhoven Chevrolet)?

Came across this vintage photo.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Came across this vintage photo.....

Those lights in the parking lot look familiar from when i lived at Holy Name Church in the late 80's...there was a used car lot accross van dyke at doyle. Could that have been this dealership? I think there was a large building in about the same place as i remember but it is gone in google streetview now.

I would need to check that aerial view archives to be sure..

I believe that picture is in front of the Verhoven Chevrolet that was once in Highland Park, on Woodward and Stevens. The building is now part of Snethkamp Chrysler-Jeep. If you look at Google streetview, you'll see that that apartment building in the background is still standing [[although sans its rather strange-looking cornice) at Woodward and Eason.

I'm guessing that was Verhoven's used car lot across the street in this view. There also appears to be a Ford dealer in the deep background, that I believe was Gib Bergstrom [[later Russ Dawson) Ford.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-24-14 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I get a kick out of seeing them Alpha-Numeric Detroit phone numbers.

They are embedded in my noggin, my # growing up was Walnut 4-6724.

I don't remember any tall buildings at 6 and Vandyke.

The dealership at 6 & Vandyke was on the SE corner of the intersection and had showroom glass on Van Dyke and 6 mile.
    I used to transfer to the Seymore/McNichols Bus heading to Denby for drivers training and back for a semester and the bustop was right at the dealership.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; January-24-14 at 09:15 AM.

There's also appears to be a Ford dealer in the deep background, that I believe was Gib Bergstrom [[later Russ Dawson) Ford.
    The advertising jingle still sticks in my head

"Come to Russ Dawson
    Buy your Ford
    Buy your Ford"

Eastside Al nailed it. A friend of mine lived at the 10 Eason apt bldg. and I worked as a kid at Gib Bergstorm Ford.

EastsideAl,

Thank you for the reply & matchbook photo!

As mentioned, looking at Google Maps, appears you nailed the location!!!

The car shown is a Hudson, maybe a Hudson dealer was also located on Woodward or its possible that one of the dealers mentioned also sold other car brands such as Hornet.....???

I should have recognized the Hudson! [[It's about a 1952, isn't it?) My grandfather worked there for 20+ years, until they closed the place, and my dad worked there when he was going to Wayne.

Anyway, the answer is, yes. Walker Hudson was at 16430 Woodward. Approximately where Snethkamp's lot is today.

Name:  walker hudson woodward.jpg
Views: 2239
Size:  47.8 KB

Thanks EsAl !

I'm getting a load of the 5 geezers oogling the two hotties!

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    I'm getting a load of the 5 geezers oogling the two hotties!
    I thought it was a Fred Mertz look-alike contest.

FWIW, I found this string of Detroit advertisements on WKBD from 1977 featuring a commercial with Ver Hoeven Chevrolet on 6 Mile and Van Dyke. It also shows the Pineapple-style street lamp that used to line Van Dyke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNJ5WunGb1c
    Last edited by 313WX; February-15-14 at 12:59 AM.

That picture is more than likely from Verhoven Woodward Chevrolet, as there where no parking meters on van dyke and the big building on the left never existed on van dyke.

Btw, thanks for the link to the commercial. My grandfather owned Verhoven chevroket and my office is in the building at 6 and van dyke.