Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default GM Electro Motive

I am attempting to find the location where GM manufactured their Electro Motive trains. I have found La Grange, Illinois as the site. Is this correct?

McCook, IL [[La Grange is the mailing address, McCook has no post office), Cleveland and London, ON

LaGrange for decades but it closed a long time ago and has since been demolished. London closed in the past few years.

Thank you for your replies. What started all of this was trying to determine if it was the Silver Comet or the Southern Crescent train that My friends and I had taken to Washington, DC from southern Georgia or Atlanta to DC.

Here is the link to a Southern Crescent page...
    http://meanderingpassage.com/2009/08...hern-crescent/

EMD stopped building locomotives in La Grange in 1991, shifting all production to London after U.S./Canada Free Trade Agreement was passed. Production in London halted in 2012 after a messy labor dispute that involved some serious wage cuts.

The sad part of the McCook/La Grange area was the Pielet Brothers scrap yard, where locomotives traded in to EMD went to die. One summer when I was going to school in Chicago [[1970), I'd drive out to La Grange to watch trains in the late afternoon, and found that sad place.

http://www.oil-electric.com/2008/09/bone-yard.html

It is my understanding that the only locomotive to make it OUT of Pielet Brothers alive was the CB&Q E5 #9911 [["Silver Pilot") which now hauls the "Nebraska Zephyr" housed at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Ill.
    Last edited by douglasm; January-20-14 at 09:39 PM. Reason: add info and correct spelling

Everyone knows that this was a ruse so that they could buy up streetcars!

Quote Originally Posted by PeachLaser View Post
    Thank you for your replies. What started all of this was trying to determine if it was the Silver Comet or the Southern Crescent train that My friends and I had taken to Washington, DC from southern Georgia or Atlanta to DC.

Here is the link to a Southern Crescent page...
    http://meanderingpassage.com/2009/08...hern-crescent/
    Both the Silver Comet and the Southern Crescent ran Atlanta to DC.

If it changed locomotives in Richmond [[SAL to RF&P) it was the Comet.

If it ran straight through, it was the Crescent [[SOU).

The Comet died in the 1960s. Crescent ran even after AMTRAK and runs today under AMTRAK.