Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Challenge to all on MLK Jr. day!

As a Euro-American, I'd be interested to find from all, regardless of racial background, who is your favorite person with an Afro-American past? Thought this would be a delightful topic for MLK day.

I have a number of them, from Beyonce to Morgan Freeman. But the tip of my hat goes to Neil Degrasse Tyson, of the Hayden Planetarium, not only for his presentations on dozens of shows explaining the universe in layman's terms, but for just being a downright likable person.

Fire away!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    ... But the tip of my hat goes to Neil Degrasse Tyson, of the Hayden Planetarium, not only for his presentations on dozens of shows explaining the universe in layman's terms, but for just being a downright likable person....
    Good choice. I think I might have recently saw Neil deGrasse Tyson on Bill Moyers Journal. I was trying to concentrate on something else but he kept drawing my attention toward his conversation. He's brilliant.

Offhand I'd have to pick Elijah McCoy just because I'm partial to inventors. He had 57 patents.

But there are so many more.
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-20-14 at 08:07 PM.

Easy choice for me. Levar Burton! As someone that grew up in the 80's PBS and Reading Rainbow were a regular part of my day. Then as I got a little older I remember many times staying up late to watch Star Trek.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is the best. Got to meet him when they were demolishing the old planetarium. He was sad and overjoyed at the same time. Can't wait for the new Cosmos!!!!

McCoy has a very interesting story - and he was raised and lived his life here. He also died at Eloise

Ray, for me it would Mr. Kennon, my 6th grade teacher at A. L. Holmes. I don't remember his exact words, but he also wrote them in one of those autograph books that were popular at the time and that I still have somewhere. He took me aside one day and basically told me that I needed to work harder [[he was very right). He then said that if I worked hard enough, then I could do or be whatever I wanted to do or be. He was right about that too. I never thought much about it until much later, but that was just an incredible thing for a AA man to say in 1959. I wish I would have told him what that meant to me.

Ms. Slaughter, HS biology teacher, was the best teacher I ever had

Good responses. Jim and rb, you were fortunate in having an unforgettable teacher. I never ran across one, but I sure had a few duds.

George Washington Carver, an educator, and a great scientist who created new products with his community in mind.

President Obama to introduce Fox's 'Cosmos' series Sunday
    The 13-part series is hosted by scientist and educator Neil deGrasse Tyson and is a successor to Carl Sagan’s popular 1980 PBS series, “Cosmos: A Personal Voyage.”
    9PM tonight on Channel 2 in Detroit.

There are a number of people I could name. But after watching a documentary on Netflx last night about Mississippi in the 60's with Morgan Freeman [[ who I think is a great actor) and Harry Belafonte, I was very impressed with what both of them had to say. The documentary was "The Last White Night."