Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Recycle Here! Change agent in recycling in the city

Recent Crain's article focuses on tenuous status of our city and neighborhood recycling drop-off Recycle Here

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rofit-in-limbo

I so appreciate Matt and what he has done, true Detroit angel through and through. But can't help to think he himself, through his vision and success, has created the opportunity for city-wide recycling, putting his own operation out of business.

Kudos also go out to Green Cycle http://www.detroitgreencycle.com/Home.html
    Detroit's first curbside recycling.

What is in jeopardy is the grassroots informational program funded through Recycle Here that creates the little change-agents [[see article). This needs to be maintained as it takes more than just a plastic tub and weekly pickup to make citywide recycling meaningful.

Can I nominate Matthew Naimi as Detroit City Recycling Czar?
    Can we expect the contractors to fund educational programs?

Quote Originally Posted by robtandersen View Post
    Can I nominate Matthew Naimi as Detroit City Recycling Czar?
    Can we expect the contractors to fund educational programs?
    I second the motion. Matt and his crew are truly great, public minded servants, and provide an invaluble service in our City. The place is an absolute gem, not only for recycling but for donating unwanted items, and finding items you can use. If you don't think recycling has a following, go down there on any given Saturday. Good luck finding a parking space.

I just hope that a true citywide recycling/trash pickup program can be started, with [[at best) modest cost to city residents. What type of separation boxes are common now? glass, plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I just hope that a true citywide recycling/trash pickup program can be started, with [[at best) modest cost to city residents. What type of separation boxes are common now? glass, plastic?
    Dumpsters.....

GUSHI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    In Detroit houses