Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Michigan Central Station Platforms

How many passenger platforms did Michigan Central Station have before they tore down the shed and such? I've searched everywhere to find this answer, but haven't found anyone who knows. I'm not exactly sure how many passenger tracks there were, though, I've seen the number eleven given the most times, but I believe there was an express track, but only one platform. The configuration of the lines behind the station have since been changed, so you can't just look at an aerial to find out, either.

Have you tried looking at the "historical" option on Google maps? I believe those aerials go back to 99', which I believe were before the sheds were tore down. That might give you a better idea on the number.

Have you tried the DTE aerial photo collection? It might be the best view you could get of the train sheds behind the station during its years of full operation.

http://www.clas.wayne.edu/photos/ap_index.htm

Dexlin, see the August 1978 issue of Trains magazine which contains a feature article on MCS. Within is a nice and clean track diagram of the station area. There might be enough detail there to suit your needs.

Name:  MCDepotMap1.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  40.3 KB
    Name:  MCDepotMap2.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  41.5 KB
    Name:  MCDepotMap3.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  40.8 KB
    Name:  MCDepotMap4.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  33.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Beech Cricker View Post
    Dexlin, see the August 1978 issue of Trains magazine which contains a feature article on MCS. Within is a nice and clean track diagram of the station area. There might be enough detail there to suit your needs.
    Where would I go about finding this magazine?

BTW, the diagram above is a bit better than others I've seen. I think I count seven tracks, but I'm not sure. That would make for thirteen platforms, right?

Wouldn't be shocked if the Detroit Public Library has a copy. I know the UGLY at U of M has [[had?) bound Trains Magazines dating back to the mid 40's. Or, check with the Bluewater Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society and see if they have a copy......

http://www.bluewaternrhs.com/

.....or The Henry Earl Riggs Research Library at The Durand Union Station.

http://www.durandstation.org/museum/

In the 1960's, Kalmbach Publishing [[Trains Magazine) reprinted John A. Droege's Passenger Terminals and Trains from 1916. MC Depot was brand-new when this book was written. It says, "The station has 10 through passenger tracks and 1 express track. The former are arranged in pairs, 12 feet on centers, and 28 feet between adjoining pairs so that 19-foot platforms are used. The Bush trainshed is 1,100 feet long at its longest part. Some of the platforms, however, are 1,400 feet long.

The 11 through tracks can be seen in the insurance map posted by Hornwrecker. The Bush trainsheds were demolished in the 1990's to provide clearance for the CPR's "iron highway" terminal. A 1,400-foot platform would have allowed boarding at all cars of an 18-car passenger train.

Dexlin, the section from a Sanborn map posted above offers greater detail than the diagram I mentioned in the Trains magazine article. But if you are interested in the article itself it may be worth your while to seek out that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    Aw geez, look at all the steam engines!!! Time to get
    out my "Steam Giants" DVD ... a real locomotigasm!!