Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hudson's 30 Years Ago Today

Better late than never, but today marked 30 years of Hudson's Downtown closure. Below is a link of an awesome report by Channel 7's Erik Smith. I never knew the grandeur of the store, only her hollow hulk. Enjoy, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YLF...&feature=share

Sorry guys, I just realized it's 2014!!!!! [[Hudson's closed in '83). I guess we could mark 31 years. But the video is still cool, and I don't remember it being posted on here [[of course I could be wrong about that too!)

LOL I was about to say in 1984 I was driving. I am positive I went there the last time with my family when I was not yet driving.

It was a huge store. One of my fondest memories was going to it after going to the dentist as a younging. Mom would take me to the David Whitney building on the bus then over to the Hudson Mezzanine for Vernor's and a hot dog.

To those who never made it there, it is difficult to explain how huge the store was. If you have made it to Marshall Field or Macy's, well Hudson's seemed bigger! Though technically I believe that Macy's on Herald Square was still bigger. All of these big stores are just shells of their former selves. I can recall there being a mind-boggling amount of stuff you could get at Hudson's when I was young. Appliances, sewing stuff, rare stamps, bookstores, records [[yeah I am old), and of course the rainbow or bargain basement. Today's department stores are considered to be full line when they sell home goods, clothes, and some furniture. Things have changed a lot over the 40 years.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; January-17-14 at 11:22 PM.

Hudson's meant their Christmas Lionel train display. I was taken there every year after "the" war [[you know what I mean) to drool over the offerings. Here's a young Ray1936 c. 1948 posing with his layout.

Goodness, I have so many memories of that store. My grandmother worked there for over 20 years, behind a cosmetics counter, so I was in there a lot as a kid. Later, when I was changing buses downtown every day on my way to/from school, Hudson's became a major hangout and refuge for me. I loved it there.

By the time I left for college though. the store was clearly in decline. Floors and parts of floors were closed, most of the upper floors were vacated, many departments seemed chronically understaffed, and many fewer elevators were in operation. By the time I was done in college and working downtown the store had closed.

Wasn't Crowleys the store with the mezzanine? It was where I first had what was called a Boston Cooler, basically a Vernor's with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream. My Mom and Aunt both worked there and we would usually end up sitting at the counter.

I would hop on the Van Dyke bus at the corner of Phelps get a transfer ticket and then take the Gratiot bus downtown. Ding Ding, catch the drivers eye and get off.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; January-18-14 at 05:23 AM.

I wish I remembered it better. I do remember thinking it was like going into a palace, totally unlike the suburban stores. And I remember going with my Mom on her lunch break to the office/department in the store where they had an interior decorator when we had our dining room redone. I can't imagine a department store having that kind of service these days! And I don't think Macy's in NY or the old Marshall Field's in Chicago can hold a candle to it.

Erik is doing well and just commented on Facebook that him and his wife are currently celebrating their 48th wedding anniversary , last I heard Capt. Dennis is flying for a hospital transport in Toledo

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Wasn't Crowleys the store with the mezzanine? It was where I first had what was called a Boston Cooler, basically a Vernor's with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream. My Mom and Aunt both worked there and we would usually end up sitting at the counter.
    It could have been. I was real young then.

I'm not sure of the history of the Hudson's store in Detroit but the Marshall Field's store on State Street in Chicago was built in 1892. The Architect was Daniel Burnham he also designed the Dime Building, Ford Building and Majestic Building's in Detroit. The Majestic Building was located where 1001 Woodward is currently located.

I'm not sure how much bigger Hudson's was but I know the current Marshall Field's in Chicago is the second largest store in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    I'm not sure how much bigger Hudson's was but I know the current Marshall Field's in Chicago is the second largest store in the world.
    Hudson's never had the grandeur of the MF. It did not have enormous multi-story light wells. It was more like a huge version of Carson's. About 20 years ago MF went through a big transformation and additional space was removed when a large central escalator lobby was installed. This took out tens of thousands of square feet of space, but at least allowed the rest of the store to look more full. Prior to then, it still had several closed floors.

When I was about 4 yrs old I believed that the "J. L." referred to a jail. In my mind J L Hudson's was a combo amazing store and jail on the same downtown property. My parents thought this misconception was hilarious and didn't set me straight. Other than that, I remember a play area on an upper floor with miniature rooms of a pretend house. Later I remember being at Northland on opening day which happened to be my birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    I think there has been some dispute about which stores were the biggest. If I recall what I've read in the past, Hudson's had more sq ft total than Macy's, but Macy's had more sq ft dedicated to sales floor [[Hudson's having more dedicated to office space). I am not sure how Marshall Field's measured in total or sales floor. I will say that visiting that store [[now Macy's) I don't get a sense of the grandeur that Hudson's had, but I realize that it has been done over [[and heck, if Hudson's were still with us today, the downtown flagship would be a bland Macy's in a red brick shell, too). I think Macy's has done itself long-term harm by taking the magic out of department stores. Now, you might as well shop online.

Btw Sharnelle, your story is hilarious. JaiL Hudson's. Sounds like the name of a dive bar.

I haven't been in the MF's building in so long that I don't really remember what it looks like in there. I could be there in about 10 minutes via the L but never really have a reason to go there. I always thought of places like that as a tourist trap and never liked it. I know how to get there and have been past the building several times but there isn't really anything I want from in there so I never go in there.

Most locals here in Chicago don't shop downtown, the prices seem higher than anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Hudson's never had the grandeur of the MF. It did not have enormous multi-story light wells. It was more like a huge version of Carson's. About 20 years ago MF went through a big transformation and additional space was removed when a large central escalator lobby was installed. This took out tens of thousands of square feet of space, but at least allowed the rest of the store to look more full. Prior to then, it still had several closed floors.
    The Marshall Field building is a little smaller than Hudson's but Burnham's unified design and stone construction make it a more stately presence than the Hudson's building, which grew incrementally and was faced with a frankly unattractive reddish-brown brick. I am speaking strictly of the architectural character of the respective stores. As retail and civic institutions both stores had very high quality merchandise and highly accommodating customer policies, and both deserved the high regard they enjoyed. I knew Hudson's well growing up in Detroit in the 50's and 60's, and when I moved to Chicago in the 70's I was pleased to find that Field's atmosphere still resembled that of Hudson's some years earlier, while Hudson's sadly showed increasing signs of decline. Nonetheless, I'm pleased to have known both fine stores in their heydays. One cherished memory of Hudson's will always be that big red sign in the night sky, even from way out Gratiot or Grand River a reassuring sight. Field's, too, left me with very good memories. Their great furniture department was where I fitted out my first adult home, and I would still walk from Fullerton to the Loop for a pecan caramel banana split at Field's Crystal Palace!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I think there has been some dispute about which stores were the biggest. If I recall what I've read in the past, Hudson's had more sq ft total than Macy's, but Macy's had more sq ft dedicated to sales floor [[Hudson's having more dedicated to office space). I am not sure how Marshall Field's measured in total or sales floor. I will say that visiting that store [[now Macy's) I don't get a sense of the grandeur that Hudson's had, but I realize that it has been done over [[and heck, if Hudson's were still with us today, the downtown flagship would be a bland Macy's in a red brick shell, too). I think Macy's has done itself long-term harm by taking the magic out of department stores. Now, you might as well shop online.

Btw Sharnelle, your story is hilarious. JaiL Hudson's. Sounds like the name of a dive bar.
    Truthfully I haven't been in that store since they changed the name.

Hudson's had everything you could possibly want. Dry cleaners, photography, had many an old photo restored there. I remember the hot dogs, seems like I was always there on Fridays when we couldn't eat meat. Loved the upper floors with all the decorating ideas. My sister registered there for her shower in 1956 and it was like a magic kingdom walking arounf with her while she chose her dishes and linens. In one of the basement stores, there was a nut stand and for .15 you could get a full bag of red skins, just to take your mind off the hot dogs.

They had a great hobbiest stamp and coin counter in the mezzanine, too. I seem to recall their prices were a bit higher than Scott's catalogue, but I guess you have to pay for overhead somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    They had a great hobbiest stamp and coin counter in the mezzanine, too. I seem to recall their prices were a bit higher than Scott's catalogue, but I guess you have to pay for overhead somehow.
    The book store was on the mezzanine as well. I had a standing bargain with my mother. I would willingly shop all day long with her, but when we went in the store, we went up to the mezznine and she bought me two 10 cent comics. We would go to one of the ladies departments and i would sit in the comfortable chairs placed there and read my comics while she picked out and tried on clothes. When she was ready to move to the next department, i would put my comics back in the bag and tag along after her. I also got an egg salad sandwich on whole wheat from the cafeteria for lunch. In return, I never whined or said I was tired even if if was a 9 to 5 shopping day. That skill stood me well in married life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The book store was on the mezzanine as well. I had a standing bargain with my mother. I would willingly shop all day long with her, but when we went in the store, we went up to the mezznine and she bought me two 10 cent comics. We would go to one of the ladies departments and i would sit in the comfortable chairs placed there and read my comics while she picked out and tried on clothes. When she was ready to move to the next department, i would put my comics back in the bag and tag along after her. I also got an egg salad sandwich on whole wheat from the cafeteria for lunch. In return, I never whined or said I was tired even if if was a 9 to 5 shopping day. That skill stood me well in married life.
    Which was what your crafty mom probably intended!

Ray, that old pic of you and your layout is very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    Which was what your crafty mom probably intended!
    In 2003, one of my granddaughters graduated from high school in Ft Worth TX and I flew in for the ceremony. She wanted a dress for the party after and i said I would buy her one. She had trouble finding what she wanted and we went to several stores then went to several malls. She asked her mother [[my daughter) if I was getting tired or impatient and her mother told her that "grandpa can keep going a lot longer than you can".

I think I saw in another thread on this site that the closing sale for the downtown store started on the day I was born. Pretty sure that means I never got to go inside...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Wasn't Crowleys the store with the mezzanine? It was where I first had what was called a Boston Cooler, basically a Vernor's with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.
    Wow, memories... this kid from the sticks was soooo impressed with Hudson's -- Crowleys had a more "light" sort of feeling but seemed way smaller. Hudson's was a warren of hallways, arcane stairways, and those wonderful escalators!! Mom and Dad would park me in the music store while Mom went shopping and Dad took a nap in the lounge. Then we would have lunch in the Riverview Room. I still have several books from Hudson's mezzanine that I purchased in the early 1970s. What a wonderful time to be alive!!

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Ray, that old pic of you and your layout is very cool!
    Thanks. Some years after that photo, I boxed it all up and stored it in the basement of the folk's home. My mother, without my permission, shipped it all to my cousin in Arizona. I look at the prices of that stuff on Ebay today and I cry. Moral of that story? Sometimes mothers DO do dumb things. Sigh.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast