Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cass Park up for Grabs?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this article says that Cass Park itself will be handed over to be developed:

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...b#.Utf7CPRDuSo

Not cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Hans57 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this article says that Cass Park itself will be handed over to be developed:

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...b#.Utf7CPRDuSo

Not cool...
    If it comes from the News/Freep, I am hesitant. The picture in the article is the vacant lot across from the Masonic, where they generally have parking. The park is just to the west of that. I haven't heard any mention anywhere else that the park will be sold off, as it is still an active park with the City of Detroit, albeit an eyesore.

Part of the deal does include turning over Cass Park, but the language in the agreement is that Olympia maintain Cass Park, not develop it

I too find that hard to believe. Why do they show a pic of an empty parcel and not the park?

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...BGSQ!2e0&fid=5

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I too find that hard to believe. Why do they show a pic of an empty parcel and not the park?
    Because it's world-class, fact-checked, investigative reporting, by golly..

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Part of the deal does include turning over Cass Park, but the language in the agreement is that Olympia maintain Cass Park, not develop it
    Whew! Private operation of public parks can work really well. It's also nice in that it means that the current condition is so far away from what Ilitch wants it to be that he's going to pay for it to be improved. And he would only do that if he has a real real estate interest in the area surrounding the park. My guess is that if the additional development actually happens it will focus on Temple Street. He's never cared about the vast desolation basically a block behind the fox theater.

If it had been an actual sale I think they would have shown themselves to be far more incompetent than we [[or at least I) ever realized.

It would be nice if the park was used before and after games as a gathering spot, maybe with hockey activities. And having a real park that's not populated by dangerous people will be great for Cass Tech students.

Jason... Mike Ilitch would have preferred to put the arena behind the Fox... but when you have 3 or more landowners that are serious holdouts for that property, he can't do much if they won't sell. The Alibri heirs [[discussed here often in the past)... they own 5 parcels right in the center of a west Foxtown arena footprint... and they have refused to sell for over 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    With world class columnists such as Mitch Albom and Rochelle Riley! Hooray! Seriously, if they paid their beat writer half of what they pay the hot bags of air, you might get some decent reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    With world class columnists such as Mitch Albom and Rochelle Riley! Hooray! Seriously, if they paid their beat writer half of what they pay the hot bags of air, you might get some decent reporting.
    Seriously. I wouldn't trust those fucks to ring up my groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Seriously. I wouldn't trust those fucks to ring up my groceries.
    I'd let them ring them up, but I'd stop outside and double-check the receipt.

Mitch Albom would say that he rung up your groceries, say that he had an amazingly enlightening talk with you, write a column about it... only later to have everyone find out he called off to work that day and went to the spa instead.

Then go back in to customer service to collect your scanning error reward.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Then go back in to customer service to collect your scanning error reward.
    Mr. Snyder abolished that within like 3 months of getting into office

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Mr. Snyder abolished that within like 3 months of getting into office
    That's actually pretty damn funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Whew! Private operation of public parks can work really well. It's also nice in that it means that the current condition is so far away from what Ilitch wants it to be that he's going to pay for it to be improved.
    I'm not sure if the park will still be owned by the city, just that the area has to be maintained as a park

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I'm not sure if the park will still be owned by the city, just that the area has to be maintained as a park
    sounds like Illitch owns the park but has to maintain it... thank god this honestly will be an upgrade for that park.. it has extremely good potential and I know Illitch will definitely revitalize it.. would love to see that fountain or some sort of water feature back in it

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Whew! Private operation of public parks can work really well. It's also nice in that it means that the current condition is so far away from what Ilitch wants it to be that he's going to pay for it to be improved.
    This is the way things are going. Both the Riverwalk and Campus Martius are privately run by public-private partnerships.

Regarding Snyder's price tag law. There still it protection for consumer, but it was not updated to show inflation and remains what it was when the previous law was first enacted.
    http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-...4114--,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    sounds like Illitch owns the park but has to maintain it... thank god this honestly will be an upgrade for that park.. it has extremely good potential and I know Illitch will definitely revitalize it.. would love to see that fountain or some sort of water feature back in it
    You forgot to add the smiley face after your post.....

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    This is the way things are going. Both the Riverwalk and Campus Martius are privately run by public-private partnerships.
    I don't know how much of the tab for Central and Prospect Parks comes out of their conservancies, but I think it is a fairly heft chunk, plus Central Park gets revenue from various vendors located within its boundaries

There is an attractive statue of Robert Burns in Cass Park. It will be great
    if funds are spent to refurbish the park. It will make Cass Tech a little
    nicer, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Potentially great news for that area. As long as Ilitch's people improve and maintain it then it's a win for all involved [[well, except for the drunks and dealers who hang out there now).

But I'd be surprised if he actually ends up owning it. I believe that that land was left by the Cass family directly to the city to be maintained as a park. Although I guess if the agreement is that it remains a park then a sale may not violate the spirit of the bequest.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Potentially great news for that area. As long as Ilitch's people improve and maintain it then it's a win for all involved [[well, except for the drunks and dealers who hang out there now).

But I'd be surprised if he actually ends up owning it. I believe that that land was left by the Cass family directly to the city to be maintained as a park. Although I guess if the agreement is that it remains a park then a sale may not violate the spirit of the bequest.
    Ilitch will make it a drive-up park. Set up a 5 square foot park, then have a lot of spaces for people to drive up and enjoy the park. If they happen to park, pay $20 then go to a Wings game, so be it. But deep down they will all be there to enjoy the 'park'

I hope I didn't give Mikey any ideas

Ilitch plans to build a world-class abandoned building on the site of Cass Park.

Actually, the park was simply a sentence or two as part of the bigger narrative.

The article was about the whole entertainment zone and many parcels changing hands, not specifically the park.

A photograph of virtually any parcel would have been appropriate to the story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast