Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: 2015 naias

Default 2015 naias

A few random thoughts -

The city really lucked out with the weather for a change.

Did any automaker use the "rising floor" in Cobo Arena that was built for model intros or was this a waste of money? It seems like most companies want to do their own thing in their own space for intros.

It will be great when the exterior is completed this year, replacing the ugly grey cubes and adding the giant video board.

Was hoping the new Chrysler 200 would be more adventurous. It looks like a cross between an overgrown Dart and a Fusion. The interior is terrific but the gear knob will take some getting used to. Has this appeared on any model, at any price before?
    Last edited by 401don; January-15-14 at 10:18 PM.

Chrysler had a dash-mounted shift lever in the sixties...or was it a push-button array?!

Funny that...when I asked our celebrity journalist neighbor if the show was worth attending, and if so what should I not miss...the ONLY thing he mentioned was the 200.

Agree that 2015 will be sensational with the completed Cobo and giant video boards.

As for the gear knob on the Chrysler 200 wasn't there a 50's or 60's Dodge or Chrysler that had push button gears?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Agree that 2015 will be sensational with the completed Cobo and giant video boards.

As for the gear knob on the Chrysler 200 wasn't there a 50's or 60's Dodge or Chrysler that had push button gears?
    Edsel 1958 [[upper line Corsair and Citation only)

Edsel had em in the steering wheel.

All Chrysler Products 1956-1964 left dash

AMC Rambler & Ambassador [[except American) 1958-1962 left dash.

My 1964 Corvair Greenbrier van had a RH in dash shift lever. I really miss that old thing.

IIRC my grandfather's early 60s Dodge Dart had the pushbutton gear shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Chrysler had a dash-mounted shift lever in the sixties...or was it a push-button array?!

Funny that...when I asked our celebrity journalist neighbor if the show was worth attending, and if so what should I not miss...the ONLY thing he mentioned was the 200.

I'd be a lot more excited about seeing the new Mustang and Corvette than a Chrysler sedan. Not sure yet if I'll go this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    IIRC my grandfather's early 60s Dodge Dart had the pushbutton gear shift.
    http://www.valiant.org/valiant/1964.html

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    A few random thoughts -

Did any automaker use the "rising floor" in Cobo Arena that was built for model intros or was this a waste of money? It seems like most companies want to do their own thing in their own space for intros.

It will be great when the exterior is completed this year, replacing the ugly grey cubes and adding the giant video board.

Was hoping the new Chrysler 200 would be more adventurous. It looks like a cross between an overgrown Dart and a Fusion. The interior is terrific but the gear knob will take some getting used to. Has this appeared on any model, at any price before?
    Ford used all of the Cobo Ballroom space during the two press days. I'm not aware if they used the riser. The riser is in the eastern portion of the ballroom and was difficult to see from the public areas in Cobo.

There is an opening under the console that has a mat with the skyline of Detroit molded into it which is pretty cool. Funny thing is the Ren Cen isn't in it, I assume because of it being GM

Quote Originally Posted by pocketchange View Post
    There is an opening under the console that has a mat with the skyline of Detroit molded into it which is pretty cool. Funny thing is the Ren Cen isn't in it, I assume because of it being GM
    Great catch, did it make the Dime Building...er, CHRYSLER House...oversized to, um, compensate? LOL...

corporate hubris

A few random thoughts -

The Dial shifter is already available on the Ram pickups and it's been available in Jaguar's since at least 07 I believe.

Who crazy idea was it to hold the auto show in the one the coldest months of the year. Why not hold the event in August when its warmer and the next year models are making their debut

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Who crazy idea was it to hold the auto show in the one the coldest months of the year. Why not hold the event in August when its warmer and the next year models are making their debut
    The Detroit dealers association who first put it together decades ago. January was, probably still is, their slowest month so it was placed in January to get sales and interest.

Anyone doing a limo count tonight? Last time I was downtown on Charity Preview night it looked like an ad was being filmed for limos. During the show they are parked and lined up all over downtown.
    Last edited by GPCharles; January-17-14 at 01:33 PM.

Dtowncitylover that is the most craziest lame excuse that the auto companys uses. They should change the venue to a much warmer month

I loved my father's 1964 Chrysler Newport convertible with the push buttons on the left. Wish I had that car now!

His was "maroon" but I like this blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Dtowncitylover that is the most craziest lame excuse that the auto companys uses. They should change the venue to a much warmer month
    It's the truth. I don't think it should move. It gives us Detroiters a reason to go out in the winter after Christmas, and it sort of is the de facto start of the auto show season [[which technically goes all year, so not much of a season, but it is the first important one of the year).

I think a summer auto show is a terrible idea. First, changing the date [[substantially) really changes the focus of the auto show. It would merely be a ho-hum regional preview of what you could buy in September, and cool car tech displays and prototypes would end up elsewhere. Also, I am certain attendance would be lower in the summer: there are so many other things to do and people go on vacation.

Auto show construction now commences November 15th. It formerly began on October 1st. To have a summer show, you could forget hosting any other shows or events during the summer season.