Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Help identifying location in old photo

I found this in some old files and thought the Detroityessers would come up with an answer. I believe the H.A Schmidt Livery was on the Detroit River at the end of Motor Boat Lane [[where Gregory's is today) but I would like to have someone else confirm this.Name:  h a smith livery.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  29.2 KB
    Last edited by noggin; January-15-14 at 09:05 PM.

1915 Sanborn map confirms existence of Schmidt's Boat Livery at the end of Motor Boat Lane. Note the still-existing pumping station on the left, which sits on the other side of the canal on Parkview at Dwight.

Name:  schmidts boat livery 1915.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  60.8 KB

Motor Boat Lane?!

It has been a long time since I took a trip there.

~sigh ~

The ole Schmidt House.. I know it well. My family is full of Schmidts. A lot of people think that I am a Schmidt for brains.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The ole Schmidt House.. I know it well. My family is full of Schmidts. A lot of people think that I am a Schmidt for brains.
    No Schmidt?

That would put it at the foot of Gregory's Boat Basin

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Note the still-existing pumping station on the left, which sits on the other side of the canal on Parkview at Dwight.
    One of the old trash incinerators as well.

This photo is from 1925. It might be buried in that collection, closer to shore.

I believe the second building back on the right was the original home of the Bayview Yacht Club. The whole dock apparently burned down in 1929.

The fire started at the gas station.