Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kiernan's Steakhouse Closing

Another popular Dearborn restaurant closing. Hopefully it won't sit vacant like Cheli's Chili Bar.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140114/ENT08/301140145/Kiernan-s-steak-house-dearborn-close

There have been a few restaurant closings in West Dearborn leaving empty storefronts.

Texas Roadhouse is the bomb for steaks.....

Apparently both Kiernan's and Chellio's have been sold. Don't have any details, except that Kiernan's is going to be "gutted". One of my favorite lounges, catering to an older generation, but I guess that's why it sold

More businesses at the West Dearborn Business District is becoming an instant ghetto in the last 10 years. No one is interested of setting up shop in the area if the property tax sucks! [[It's not because the Arabs are taking over Dearborn and make it "Little Mecca") The owners of those storefronts need to put away the exotic shop ideal. That area will not be like Royal Oak, Ferndale, Grosse Pointes and Birmingham. You want people to work, shot and eat in that area. Bring in the Dollar Stores, barkeries, cleaners, cell phone shops, thrift markets and restuarants that people could afford. Then the exotic shops will come later.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    More businesses at the West Dearborn Business District is becoming an instant ghetto in the last 10 years. No one is interested of setting up shop in the area if the property tax sucks! [[It's not because the Arabs are taking over Dearborn and make it "Little Mecca") The owners of those storefronts need to put away the exotic shop ideal. That area will not be like Royal Oak, Ferndale, Grosse Pointes and Birmingham. You want people to work, shot and eat in that area. Bring in the Dollar Stores, barkeries, cleaners, cell phone shops, thrift markets and restuarants that people could afford. Then the exotic shops will come later.

The Arab business district in East Dearborn seems to be doing quite well. Some stores HAVE closed, but they are quickly replaced by others. It's West Dearborn that has the issues. You are right, though. A few years back they pursued the "R.O" type/yupster/trendy format, coupled with the fact they're charging for parking in the lots, and it doesn't seem to be taking off as well. However I don't want people to be shot...

Charging for parking [[greed).....big mistake, BIG!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The owners of those storefronts need to put away the exotic shop ideal. That area will not be like Royal Oak, Ferndale, Grosse Pointes and Birmingham. You want people to work, shot and eat in that area. Bring in the Dollar Stores, barkeries, cleaners, cell phone shops, thrift markets and restuarants that people could afford. Then the exotic shops will come later.
    Interestingly, though, Valuland, which is like Spartan Stores version of Aldi's, was there on Mich Ave in the thick of West Dearborn. It opened in March & closed the Saturday before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Interestingly, though, Valuland, which is like Spartan Stores version of Aldi's, was there on Mich Ave in the thick of West Dearborn. It opened in March & closed the Saturday before Christmas.
    Damn! And I meant to stop in there on my lunch hour. Oh well, there's always Super Greenland, my favorite.

I can't imagine the buyer leaving it empty for long. From what the article in the News said it will reopen as another restaurant/bar [[Silkeys was part of the deal), for whatever that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    I can't imagine the buyer leaving it empty for long. From what the article in the News said it will reopen as another restaurant/bar [[Silkeys was part of the deal), for whatever that's worth.
    I heard from a friend last night that it's supposed to be part hookah lounge and part banquet facility.