Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cushingberry stiffs legal client

So he's bankrupt, stiffing clients, cruising around with open liquor bottles and MJ and playing the race card...

I really don't get the appeal of this guy unless you're a criminal yourself. There really doesn't appear to be anything legitimate, intelligent, or honest about him. I love how his lawyer dispenses his grandmother's legal opinions. Who are these crooks?

I'm glad the media is hounding him. I hope they give him plenty of sleepless nights until he ends up the slammer just like Kwame. There's nothing clean about him so there is no doubt he will.

Oh and thanks again District 2 - you fucks.

Sincerely,

- In the immortal words of "Cush" - European Occupier

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...ase-he-took-on

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...ase-he-took-on

Oh and thanks again District 2 - you fucks.

Sincerely,

- In the immortal words of "Cush" - European Occupier
    Why are you coming down so hard on the voters? Why not put some blame on our two "illustrious" hometown dailies that don't do crap covering 98% of the candidates in any Detroit election, but are all too happy to jump on the bandwagon when someone like this gets elected?

FYI, he only won by approximately a 4% margin in the general election. I noted in the primary the top candidates were closely bunched. For some reason that I didn't take time to research, the second highest vote getter in the primary didn't move on the general election.

I agree with going easy on the voters. On the surface they seemed to have a well vetted candidate with his resume experience and endorsements from the newspapers.

I blame Cushingberry. I think he's a gravy-train bum. It wasn't enough going around and getting all those government pensions, he had to use bankruptancy to further enhance his take.

The guy's a bum. Hopefully the voters show him the door next election, it's just painful to be saying this in the first month of his term...

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I agree with going easy on the voters. On the surface they seemed to have a well vetted candidate with his resume experience and endorsements from the newspapers.

I blame Cushingberry. I think he's a gravy-train bum. It wasn't enough going around and getting all those government pensions, he had to use bankruptancy to further enhance his take.

The guy's a bum. Hopefully the voters show him the door next election, it's just painful to be saying this in the first month of his term...
    I guess I agree here. On paper, Cushingberry looked to be, for lack of better words, "not the worst" but now that everything he'd neglected to mention is coming to light...

Is there any procedure to recall a city council member? That might not be a bad idea, even though knowing Detroit there is no protocol and Cushingberry gets to just collect his city council moneys and be on his way when its all over.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Why are you coming down so hard on the voters?
    Because they elected a bankrupt, racist, lazy, idiotic ne'erdowell to council for the MILLIONTH TIME.

At some point passing the blame has to stop. I'm a Detroit voter [[which makes me equal under the law to every other citizen of this city, regardless of my skin color). I have been for many years. I've never missed an election - not even school board. I research each race thoroughly. It takes hours, yes. And yes, my guys typically lose because they don't scream loudest about the man keeping them down.

The Free Press covered the City Council election, as they did every election, and said of "Cush': " [[he) seems to lack a clear understanding of the council’s role during the tenure of emergency manager Kevyn Orr"
    That should merit pause from any responsible voter with an IQ above room-temperature.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013102...ons-November-5

What could have prevented all this madness? Electing the candidate who seemed sane verses the one who didn't. Only the voters can do that.

The real subversion of democracy in Detroit is the uneducated and irresponsible voter. Democracy is a beautiful thing, not to be taken for granted.

Who else am I supposed to "come down hard on"? The European Occupiers?

The newspapers should do a thorough job of vetting these candidates. Sad thing is, they most likely know all the dirt in advance and simply wait for a situation like this because it makes for better sales and attention.

I could just hear the back room convo on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    The newspapers should do a thorough job of vetting these candidates. Sad thing is, they most likely know all the dirt in advance and simply wait for a situation like this because it makes for better sales and attention.

I could just hear the back room convo on that one.
    I think Mr Neavling, who has been doing a lot of the exclusives on Mr. Kush, is really just digging things up after coming across the traffic stop. Freep/News/etc however? No excuse whatsoever. If they wanted to be relevant and convince me to actually read them, they would've actually investigated the candidates and done some due diligence. But nope, lets let Mitch "I went to the 2004 NCAA Final Four" Albom and Rochelle "OH MY GOD THE KIDS DID YOU THINK OF THE KIDS" Riley continue to barf all over the pages of the Free Press, and let Nolan Finley contribute to global warming by blowing hot air up the rich suburbanites asses

I am wondering if the new city charter has anything special to reign in an elected official, I remember there being discussion about having city council gain power over the mayor...but don't know what made it to the official document. Knowing the reflex action of most, they didn't allow the obverse.

But luckily, Orr can just not pay him. heh. Kush can get Pughed by Orr.

if you're the dictator-usurper state-wide-voter-disapproved emergency manager making unpopular moves [[selling off DIA, cutting pensions) do you:

a) fire the city council member taking all of the news headlines
    or
    b) continue reign of terror and be happy someone else has the media's attention ?

B for now, A later perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    if you're the dictator-usurper state-wide-voter-disapproved emergency manager making unpopular moves [[selling off DIA, cutting pensions) do you:

a) fire the city council member taking all of the news headlines
    or
    b) continue reign of terror and be happy someone else has the media's attention ?
    Mr. Cushingberry is a textbook example of why Detroit needed to be "taken over" by the State and EFM in the first place. The man is a classic political screw-up, [[I don't know too many people FIRED by the State's Attorney General, do you?) He took off from the cops twice, which would have given him ample time to empty the contents of the bottle, but we'll never know, will we, because another outstanding member of Detroit's Government, The Police Shift Supervisor, decided to sweep the incident under the rug, per policy, and give Mr. Cushionberry, a ticket for not using his blinker. Money and population disapearing, same old, same old getting re-elected with the same old results, and people bitch about the EFM and the Governor. It's simply amazing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Mr. Cushingberry is a textbook example of why Detroit needed to be "taken over" by the State and EFM in the first place. The man is a classic political screw-up, [[I don't know too many people FIRED by the State's Attorney General, do you?) He took off from the cops twice, which would have given him ample time to empty the contents of the bottle, but we'll never know, will we, because another outstanding member of Detroit's Government, The Police Shift Supervisor, decided to sweep the incident under the rug, per policy, and give Mr. Cushionberry, a ticket for not using his blinker. Money and population disapearing, same old, same old getting re-elected with the same old results, and people bitch about the EFM and the Governor. It's simply amazing to me.
    But you see, Kevyn Orr! And suppressing the voters! And other things!! We shouldn't make the Kush take responsibility for being irresponsible and whatnot, we should instead focus on things! Because we can't possibly be outraged at the irresponsible actions of a public figure while still being outraged about the EM!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    But you see, Kevyn Orr! And suppressing the voters! And other things!! We shouldn't make the Kush take responsibility for being irresponsible and whatnot, we should instead focus on things! Because we can't possibly be outraged at the irresponsible actions of a public figure while still being outraged about the EM!!!!!!
    Ok, I get it, my mistake......

Ok, I get it, my mistake......
    My point being, we need to hold the Kush as responsible as we hold Orr. Kush might be democratically elected, but he's still a dolt. A power hungry, irresponsible dolt who, after going bankrupt and emerging, ran for city council and now is in charge of the budget. And it seems, besides his personal misgivings, is up to no good. http://metrotimes.com/news/politics-...ower-1.1616433

My point being, we need to hold the Kush as responsible as we hold Orr.
    that was supposed to be my point but i guess i lost it somewhere. thanks motz.

i cant make sense of that metrotimes article. it spends the first half saying how bad the old city council was and then spends the second half saying how bad the newly elected city council members are. hasnt city council been terrible as long as anyone can remember? nothing new about that.

hasnt city council been terrible as long as anyone can remember? nothing new about that.
    "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here"
    I can think of no better way to describe the sad feeling I get any time they show the City Council chambers on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here"
    I can think of no better way to describe the sad feeling I get any time they show the City Council chambers on TV.
    There should be a big sign above the Chambers door, "SSDD".

that was supposed to be my point but i guess i lost it somewhere. thanks motz.

i cant make sense of that metrotimes article. it spends the first half saying how bad the old city council was and then spends the second half saying how bad the newly elected city council members are. hasnt city council been terrible as long as anyone can remember? nothing new about that.
    I guess the reason the article stood out to me was that I agreed that it looks like, after not even two weeks, that we're back to something that resembles the MonCon/Shrek/Onward Christian Soldiers days. I don't think we'll ever get THAT level of dysfunctional, but Leland's support for Kush/Jones and his quick appointment to the planning committee is just sketchy. The issue is that, in order for the city to ever have any hope of regaining autonomy, they need to at least APPEAR to have integrity. I want them to have their power back, I want the elected officials of this city to HAVE representation. But if the big guys are going to do stuff like mentioned in the article or the 500 Kush articles that have surfaced this week, I don't think we'll see the city running itself any time soon.

I guess the reason the article stood out to me was that I agreed that it looks like, after not even two weeks, that we're back to something that resembles the MonCon/Shrek/Onward Christian Soldiers days. I don't think we'll ever get THAT level of dysfunctional, but Leland's support for Kush/Jones and his quick appointment to the planning committee is just sketchy.
    That, and effective or not, I'm not warm and fuzzy over Duggan appointing two ex-cons to his cabinet.

That, and effective or not, I'm not warm and fuzzy over Duggan appointing two ex-cons to his cabinet.
    No one is very warm and fuzzy about anything dealing with politics in Detroit right now. Whether it be the EM, the mayor, the council, etc. The warmest and fuzziest thing we have is James Craig and I think we're all just waiting for him to get busy with one of his subordinates in true Detroit fashion.

hasnt city council been terrible as long as anyone can remember? nothing new about that.
    It seems that way.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_City_Council

I'd say 1970 - 1974 appear to be the last sane years of the council, maybe because I don't know anything about some of those those who served then. However, Carl Levin, Erma Henderson, Mel Ravitz, and Nicholas Hood were all decent people though.

At '74, enter in Clyde "Pistol whip my wife" Cleveland, may he rot in hell. The list after that varies from the mentally deranged to the wildly corrupt. Sharon "the mayor tried to electrocute me" McPhail, Kay "go eastside on you" Everett, and of course, Barbara Rose-Collins, known famously for her bias against homosexuals, princess tiaras, and stirring rendition of Onward Christian Soldiers. This is to make no mention of the Grandmamma of them all, the Honourable Monica Conyers. JoAnn Watson, Gil Hill, ah, what memories.

I think as the city emptied out of the middle class, white and black, you got a lot more of these "populist" ghetto trash charlatans in place of serious politicians. Like today.

"populist" ghetto trash charlatans
    Nice. Very, very nice.

I think Gannon asked this earlier without an answer, so I'll bump it. Used to be President and Pres. Pro Tem were the top two vote getters in the general election. This is the first time they're elected by their peers. So, the question is, are they elected for a solid 4 years, or can they ever be subject to a "no confidence vote" and get booted back to regular council member status?

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Nice. Very, very nice.
    Tell me I'm wrong. I've lived in this city long enough. I call it like I see it, hold the PC.