Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Was this a kit house?

So far, throughout the new year, I've been trying to find out if this house [[3334 20th, Wyandotte) in my subdivision was ever a kit house, but as of right now, I cannot go to the Register of Deeds office. What I do know is that it was built in 1929, five years after the property it sits on was first formed. The only house that I could find within Wyandotte that was a twin of this one was 3453 17th, but I've also discovered houses very similar to those two on Winchester in Lincoln Park and on Freda in Dearborn. I've, however, seen other homes nearby that had similar features, such as the steep roof. It was also formerly a tudor home, but all tudor features were removed about five years ago. It is very similar to this kit house, but with a different floor plan.
    Last edited by mtburb; January-14-14 at 08:54 AM.

There are several similar homes in Green Acres, including the dormer, which often houses the bathroom and a bedroom in the front. Your original image more closely resembles the ones I've seen, and they are tudor style. The Hudson image you included is much larger.

I'm not exactly sure what the ratio of kit houses in the Detroit area is, but a fair guess is that a substantial amount of homes built in this region are kit homes, from the four-squares and bungalows of the mid 1910s right up to the Pulte homes of the 60's and 70's that dot Livonia, Southfield, Sterling Hts

Check the exposed wood in the attic. Often kit homes marked the wood they supplied.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Check the exposed wood in the attic. Often kit homes marked the wood they supplied.
    There is no way to access the attic at all and I've checked all the exposed wood in the basement-nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    So far, throughout the new year, I've been trying to find out if this house [[3334 20th, Wyandotte) in my subdivision was ever a kit house, but as of right now, I cannot go to the Register of Deeds office. What I do know is that it was built in 1929, five years after the property it sits on was first formed. The only house that I could find within Wyandotte that was a twin of this one was 3453 17th, but I've also discovered houses very similar to those two on Winchester in Lincoln Park and on Freda in Dearborn. I've, however, seen other homes nearby that had similar features, such as the steep roof. It was also formerly a tudor home, but all tudor features were removed about five years ago. It is very similar to this kit house, but with a different floor plan.
    That would be a cool looking house [[nice yard, too) if it weren't for all that siding! They didn't miss an inch! That bitch would look great in brick, ala GP, EEV, or Morningside.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    That would be a cool looking house [[nice yard, too) if it weren't for all that siding! They didn't miss an inch! That bitch would look great in brick, ala GP, EEV, or Morningside.
    That was my first thought on looking at it - that it looked like a East English Village or northern Grosse Pointe house, but covered in unflattering siding.

If it still has the original baseboards they should or might have a tag or number on the back side.