Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default RIP Gary Grimshaw

My personal favorite Detroit artist Gary Grimshaw passed away today. His poster art was amazing

I was ambivalent to his work until a group of friends wanted to go to some artists gallery in Corktown about 18 years ago to view his work... I was stunned at his vast Psychodelic output...

RIP...

Grande Ballroom loses another. Kick out the Jams Mother F#ck#r!

Yep, there he goes. So much a part of so many of our lives. But, he was there, with the right stuff, at the right time.

I hope that he knew how much that stuff meant to some of us.

Got a lot of inspiration from him. He will be missed.

Very sorry to hear this.....

His work and posters are currently on exhibit @ The Scarab Club. Just saw the exhibit this past Sunday. A lot of good memories. I'm bummed. RIP Gary.

http://www.scarabclub.org/Exhibition...t_exhibit.html

How appropriate the funeral is at an art gallery. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...01140113/1361/

Gary was one of the gentlest, soft-spoken and most self-effacing people you could ever hope to know. May he rest in peace and my deepest condolences to Laura.

A benefit for Gary Grimshaw

Sadness. Those were heady days back when, Gary was in the midst of all of it.

One of the most down to earth people I ever met. Watch for some psychedelic sunsets this spring. RIP

There was a time about 15,20 years ago where I was into the old poster art of the 60's. I have a book that shows alot of it. Gary was one of my favorites.
    I have been following his trials on the care pages site, I regret having never met the man, He was an influance on me at one poit in my life and will be missed.

Loved Gary's work...Collected many of them...Remember standing next to him at The Grande by the Light show...Always kind!!!!...Peace...Whaler
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Leni Sinclair, Gary Grimshaw, 1973, Photograph [[detail)

Tuesday, February 4th 6 pm
    PSYCHEDELIC SPIRIT:
    The Art & Times of Gary Grimshaw
    Free and open to the public

Please join as we host a gallery talk by Cary Loren. The talk, titled PSYCHEDELIC SPIRIT: The Art & Times of Gary Grimshaw, will focus on the life and work of the artist, who died January 13th, 2013.

Gary Grimshaw was a graphic artist of exceptional talent who has an extraordinary history and character. He was born in Detroit, Michigan. At the start of his career Grimshaw became well known as the Grande Ballroom artist and later as the MC5 artist. These works stand out as the centerpiece of an enormously prolific output of art from the mid-1960's to the late 1970's. He became part of a dynamic collective of intellectuals, promoters, poets, artists, musicians-people that spent many years together in some form or another and in different circles of interest.
    As a Vietnam veteran he was an anti-war activist and a key player in the White Panther Party; he worked to reform unfair law and unjust incarcerations. His contribution was through art and his art inspired and energized the people. He was a member of Trans-Love Energies and The Rainbow People's Party. He worked on newspapers, magazines, did posters to advertise music events and record album covers. Gary worked with Underground Press Syndicate icons The San Francisco Oracle and the Ann Arbor Sun.

Grimshaw completed a book with Leni Sinclair documenting this celebrated era in the history of Detroit. It features a sample of his enormous output during the first fifteen years of his career and dynamic photography of his friend Leni Sinclair and is called "Detroit Rocks!". Back in the late seventies he also worked with the legendary rock magazine Creem as an associate art director. During this time he and his then-wife had a son named Alan Morgan Grimshaw. Gary's son continues the Grimshaw art and design tradition with his own career.

His work has shown at the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Toledo Art Museum, the College for Creative Studies, the Flint Institute of Arts, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Eastern Michigan University premier art gallery. He has enjoyed recognition in print and in various documentaries as well. His Seagull design makes an appearance in a Johnny Depp film, Dark Shadows by Tim Burton. Grimshaw's work has been referenced in countless books and other publications, including The Art of Rock [[Abbeville Press, 1988) and an update on music posters published by Chronicle Books in 2004, called The Art of Modern Rock.

Grimshaw's solo exhibition will be shown at the Scarab Club throughSaturday, February 15th.

About the Speaker
    Cary Loren was selected as a 2013 Kresge Artist Fellow and is the owner of Book Beat, in Oak Park. His writing career began with self-published art zines in the 1970s. Loren has published one obscure novella in Dutch, poetry [[as lyricist for Destroy All Monsters and Monster Island). He also maintains a blog where he posts essays on the arts. Together with his wife Colleen Kammer, Loren runs The Book Beat, an independent bookstore in Oak Park, Michigan where he facilitates a discussion group on world literature. His works in progress include a book-length study of the Detroit Artists Workshop and biographical text for a photography book on Leni Sinclair. His interests lie in regional histories, collage and the fragmentation and collision of culture and politics. Loren also makes zines, videos, music and art.
    The Scarab Club
    217 Farnsworth
    Detroit, MI 48202
    313-831-1250
    scarabclub.org

Regular gallery hours:
    Wednesday-Sunday, Noon-5 pm

UP, In case anyone has an interest......

I was saddened to hear of Gary's passing. I always loved his posters. I bought a copy of Detroit Rocks earlier this year, and many years ago I got this HUGE book called "The Art of Rock" presentation edition that he signed. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.