Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hunter deaths in Michigan in recent years?...

I'm a pro-2nd Amendment guy, but when I saw a post on another site today say there were no deer hunter deaths in the country in 2013, I sensed an uber-pro gun pitch in the works. Every year there seems to be a several deaths among hunters from gunshots, accidental or intended, along with heart attacks from too much humping [[hiking, that is ).

Anyone have access to hunter deaths in Michigan over the last ten or twenty years?

Make sure you whitewash "C O W" on the sides of your livestock if you live up north.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    I'm a pro-2nd Amendment guy, but when I saw a post on another site today say there were no deer hunter deaths in the country in 2013, I sensed an uber-pro gun pitch in the works. Every year there seems to be a several deaths among hunters from gunshots, accidental or intended, along with heart attacks from too much humping [[hiking, that is ).

Anyone have access to hunter deaths in Michigan over the last ten or twenty years?
    Whatever source you read must have been referring only to gun related accidental deaths [[And even at that I highly doubt that it's accurate). I know there were several hunting related deaths in Michigan this past season, but I can't recall any that were gun related during deer season. The only death I can recall specifically was a drowning victim in Lake Michigan during the early part of duck season. There was also an unfortunate deer hunter in another state that was paralyzed from a fall and awakened from a coma just to face the decision on whether he wanted to remain on life support [[he chose not to).

As a hunter I know that it's not the safest sport in the world, but it's far from the most dangerous. Also, if I'm going to die I sure as hell would prefer to take my last breath while in the woods instead of in a hospital bed.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-13-14 at 09:16 PM.

Part of the reason for the decline is also due to the decline in the number of hunters [[economy) since 2008.

There is a huge decline is snowmobilers and the economy that generally creates for Nothern Mich., this year. And it's not because there hasn't been enough snow.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    Part of the reason for the decline is also due to the decline in the number of hunters [[economy) since 2008.

There is a huge decline is snowmobilers and the economy that generally creates for Nothern Mich., this year. And it's not because there hasn't been enough snow.

Yep, that's been a trend for quite a few years...