Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Hamtramck- Dequindre St.

Hi everyone,
    My grandmother and grandfather grew up in Hamtramck way back in the day from the late 1920s until about the 1950s. My grandmother grew up on Dequindre near Edwin and my grandfather on Hewitt near Joseph Campeau.

My grandfather has since passed, and my grandmother is reaching the early stages of dementia. I was wondering if anyone had any pictures/memories/information on the neighborhood from that time period that they could share.

Thanks in advance.

Zads,

Here's a high-resolution aerial photo that was taken for Detroit Edison in 1949, before any freeways carved through the area:

http://www.clas.wayne.edu/photos/par...49/ha-4-75.pdf

[[You can zoom in a pretty good amount before you start to get pixelization)
    Last edited by Scottathew; January-12-14 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Zads,

Here's a high-resolution aerial photo that was taken for Detroit Edison in 1949, before any freeways carved through the area:

http://www.clas.wayne.edu/photos/par...49/ha-4-75.pdf

[[You can zoom in a pretty good amount before you start to get pixelization)
    Thanks 48307 this is an awesome map! Definitely weird to see no freeways at all and just houses and streets.

Click here to view 124 old photos in the WSU "Virtual Motor City" collection that contain the keyword "Hamtramck"

Can anyone properly orient me on that aerial? Am I looking northwest? Or at least point me in the direction of Jos Campau? What is the large black rectangular item in the middle. Is Harper or the Davison on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Can anyone properly orient me on that aerial? Am I looking northwest? Or at least point me in the direction of Jos Campau? What is the large black rectangular item in the middle. Is Harper or the Davison on here?
    North is to the top of the image. The large black rectangle is the water storage basin which can also be seen in this Google Map aerial view. Dequindre runs along the left [[west) side of the basin and then angles to the north. Davison is about one block below the basin and runs at a bit of an angle. Hamtramck is in the lower right corner of the aerial photo.

That helps immensely. Jayne Field is the middle eastern edge of the map along with Cleveland School, both along Conant btw Davison and Charles. Jos Campau drops into the shopping district in the lower right hand corner, where it crosses caniff, which is relegated to about ten blocks in the righter-most lower corner.

The Chevrolet [[American Axle) plant is not on the map, which is where modern-day Dequindre ends.

Thanks for the clarification

Default Aerial map

The aerial map does not show the Dequinder & Edwin area.
    Name:  Edwin area.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  73.7 KB