Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Far East Food Festival / Hart Plaza

Hi, I'm trying to find information on an event that used to happen every year when I was kid. It was called the Far East Food Festival and it was held in Hart Plaza. I think it would last a week or so and all the Asian restaurants in the area would have booths. Does anyone remember this? Any details would be great. I just checked the Hart Plaza website and it doesn't seem to be going on anymore. Thanks!

It met its demise, I suppose, with the rest of the ethnic festivals that were once held there. The city closed the food service facilities there, along with some of the other amenities of the plaza.

The city is too broke to host events at the plaza, so it now charges very significant rent for its use. There are only a couple of events held there each year now [[Movement, Jazz Festival, maybe a couple of others), as they are the only ones that can afford the rent.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-12-14 at 07:46 PM.

Looks like there was something similar on Belle Isle in the 1940s!
    https://reuther.wayne.edu/node/9915

There is not much on the web about it. Not saying it didn't happen, saying that it may result in you spending time at DPL looking at the microfiche.

There should be a new Far East festival.