Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default WIndsor Tunnel Bus with a Bicycle

Anyone out there taken their bicycle on the tunnel bus? I am planning a one day ride around Lake St. Clair and need to get across the border. According to the Windsor tunnel bus web page you have to disassemble your bike and put it in a bike bag. Needless to say I am hoping not to have to do that.

Any info would be helpful
    Thanks

Bike4Beer

Thanks for the copy paste. I am wondering if anyone has done it without having to go through that. Is it an enforced rule?

Just a thought... What if someone drove you & your bike across the border?

that is the back up plan or just driving ourselves over and leaving the car. First choice is a by bus. Also looking to see if the truck ferry can help us out.

5. Default

Yes it is. Bikes are not permitted. There is no way to get across the river by bike on public transport.

Bike4beer, they no longer permit it. I was at the tunnel a few weeks ago and asked. I would suggest having someone either drop you off or pick you up in Windsor. The ferry will be no problem I don't think but it's been a while since I've taken it. That's really too bad, my nephew and I would cross the bridge on our bikes in the 80's and it was always a good time.

Andrew/rajdet

Thanks for the info. I am going to see if I can get anywhere with the ferry and let you know.

I would bet this is in response to 9/11. It's too bad, but it's the world we live in these days.

I remember seeing a bike rack on the back of the tunnel bus before. Don't know how long ago it was. Did you call them to inquire?

10. Default

No it's nothing to do with 9/11. There are many city of Windsor buses with bike racks on the front, and in Windsor the city bicycling committee has been trying for years to get this to be an option. http://www.cyclewindsor.ca/

However, every time they push for it, they are told by the board at Transit Windsor that "insurance issues" prevent the using of the bike rack buses on the tunnel route.

One resident of downtown Windsor who has no car, can see his office in Downtown Detroit from his residence in Windsor, but cannot ride his bike there... Go figure!

I think as cycling become more mainstream and "accepted" as a mode of transportation, things will change, but it may take a few more years... As soon as gas prices rise high enough and stay there... things will change.

Do you have access to a boat? Might be more fun than taking a car anyway.

A boat would be fun but not sure if anyone I know with a boat wants to transport 3 guys + bikes at 7am.

13. Default

Not to mention that you have to be pre-registered with customs to use a boat to cross...

Let's just face it: The people in charge of the border crossing are old-line law-enforcement-type flatheads who will make allowances for trade, military crap, checkpoints, and, oh, maybe tourism. I'm sure they impatiently dismiss bicycles as unimportant. [["Bicycles? Who cares!") In other words, we have exactly the wrong types of people in charge making decisions, and they are able to get away with it partly thanks to the increasingly pervasive attitude that we must all bow and scrape before law enforcement, that we're their wards [[instead of them being our employees!).

MIRepublic Guest

It'd be nice if some group made an issue of this with the municipal, county, and state/provincial governments on both sides. It's crazy that one can't bike between the two nations. I know someone asked this in another thread, but I can't remember the answer, but does the DRIC include any space for cyclists and pedestrians in its plans?

The Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance [[MTGA) is making an issue of this. I work for MTGA and getting across the border without a car is a priority.

Transit Windsor buses do not use their bike racks for two reasons. First, they don't have a license from Ottawa for its use outside of Windsor. I believe that's something that could be addressed.

However, according to Transit Windsor it's already a tight fit for their buses making the final turns on the U.S. side of the tunnel. Lowering the bike rack and adding bikes would make those turns more difficult.

As for the DRIC, I've submitted written comments to both the U.S. and Canadian authorities during the environmental reviews. The U.S. document does support biking on the bridge though it would likely be contingent upon customs. [[Note that customs does allow bikes on other bridges, including the bridge at Sault Ste. Marie.) The DRIC also includes a sidewalk for pedestrians.

You can find additional DRIC information on m-bike.org.

However, I believe the best option will be water ferry service from the Wayne County Port Authority facilities on the RiverWalk.

I've posted an update on the Detroit Port Terminal, RiverWalk, and getting bicyclists across the Detroit River.

Of course, your kindly old professor is compelled to point out that both of the southern St. Clair County border crossings - Algonac, Michigan to Walpole Island, Ontario and Marine City, Michigan to Sombra, Ontario - accommodate bicyclists with no trouble at all.

If you would like more info, e-mail the prof.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Of course, your kindly old professor is compelled to point out that both of the southern St. Clair County border crossings - Algonac, Michigan to Walpole Island, Ontario and Marine City, Michigan to Sombra, Ontario - accommodate bicyclists with no trouble at all.
    Ah, rub it in, rub it in. We're trying to catch up!

Wouldn't it be awesome to do a huge bicycle ride around Lake St. Clair?