Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Lourn C. Doan Park

Does anyone have any memories of spending time at Lourn C. Doan Park at Elmira & Prest in the 50s or 60s?

I do. Used to play baseball there. And I do now believe who you are 9606 Prest.

Doan Park was my neighborhood park. I lived on Sussex between Orangelawn and Elmira. It was a short bike ride. We would go over and play on the swings and monkey bars a lot. I remember a few summers hen there was a Park & Recreation program there. We painted those plaster of Paris molds. I painted a cocker spaniel. I also remenber a costume and bike decorating contest, in which I won first place for best costume. I was dressed in a flapper costume. I never played any organized sports there, although I do remember older boys playing baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    Doan Park was my neighborhood park. I lived on Sussex between Orangelawn and Elmira. It was a short bike ride. We would go over and play on the swings and monkey bars a lot. I remember a few summers hen there was a Park & Recreation program there. We painted those plaster of Paris molds. I painted a cocker spaniel. I also remenber a costume and bike decorating contest, in which I won first place for best costume. I was dressed in a flapper costume. I never played any organized sports there, although I do remember older boys playing baseball.
    Wow one of the reasons I like coming here to the DYes forum is that once in a while a long dormant memory is brought alive again by someone commenting here.

Although not from the west side area, I was raised in the Harper, Van Dyke, Gratiot to the Packard Plant triangle. I remember a year or two that the Parks&Rec had them summer programs. Can't quite put a place to them but I do remember playing horse shoes and four square and other activities. I really enjoyed interacting with the older kids, [[College Students?), good times those couple of years. Then that went away, alas and a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    ...We painted those plaster of Paris molds. I painted a cocker spaniel....
    I remember a program like that at a park in Denver. Maybe it was nationwide. Kids would buy a figurine, paint it, and if they did a good job they could sell it for a small profit.