Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Marathon Station at Mack Avenue and Alter Road

The prices have been stuck on $3.49 for regular cash and $3.99 for regular credit for about 2 months. Then I noticed that all of the pump handles were covered with plastic bags. Now I see that the pumps have all been removed.

What gives? That station was usually very busy. I have heard that they have had some crime problems, but who doesn't?
    Last edited by GPCharles; January-10-14 at 02:13 PM.

They lost their gas license from what I believe. It's been a glorified convenience store for some time now. The "eatery" never even got off the ground in there either. The entire right half of the inside is a shell for some kind of food concept. It was well over two months ago they lost the gasoline privileges as well.

They were the highest priced station in the area, always 40 cents more than nearby stations.

What about the BP station by Metro Airport? That station is constantly one of the highest priced stations in the state.

This is starting to remind me of the BP station on West Jefferson a block south of Visger that had probably one of the highest prices in the entire region some time back...

EDIT: Found an article about that station.
    Last edited by mtburb; January-12-14 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    What about the BP station by Metro Airport? That station is constantly one of the highest priced stations in the state.
    That BP is just before all the rental car returns. So if you have to return your rental with a full tank and you're an out of towner that doesn't know where else to go you get gouged. And right before you get to the BP, if you turn right on red onto Middlebelt from I 94 the Romulus cops nail you. Welcome to Detroit.

Gulf, Speedway 79, or Leonard are probably better choices.....

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    That BP is just before all the rental car returns. So if you have to return your rental with a full tank and you're an out of towner that doesn't know where else to go you get gouged. And right before you get to the BP, if you turn right on red onto Middlebelt from I 94 the Romulus cops nail you. Welcome to Detroit.
    That makes sense but they'd never be able to fool me, I have the Gasbuddy app on my phone and can search for other stations nearby, while this station is currently at $3.79 a gallon the average for the five closest stations to this one is $3.25 a gallon and the Shell at Van Born and Middlebelt is $3.19. I guess it'd be hard to convince someone like me to get gas at this BP.

It looks like this place is about to reopen. The gas dispensers are back and the sign is working [[sort of) but it is not open yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    Countywide. Gas stations near the airport make a killing on travelers topping off their rental cars. Prices are also high at stations closest to a freeway exit. Captive audience.